Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Monagas - I'm not sure really if I like the lady thing or not atm.

There seems to be a lot going on in the flag but without it being too much. so it's nicely balanced.

Also I like the crest in thw corner..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Paraná

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Paraná (BRA) - cleaner and a nice balance of colours. I don't mind flags that have a lot going on on them, but I think Monagas may have just gone too far.

Monagas just has too much going on. Who's that conducting the stars? Why is the sun cancelled? Why make such a complicated crest and hide it in the corner? Those stripes just don't fit either in shape or colour.

Parana is unmistakably Brazilian but it uses its three colours to excellent effect. Minus a point for having its own name written on it but still a clear winner.

:D:D

total opposite to what I said ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Paraná
    It is composed of a green quadrilateral, crossed from the upper left angle to the lower right by a large white stripe, which symbolizes the Tropic of Capricorn (which passes through northern Paraná), bearing a blue circle with the five stars of the Southern Cross (Crux) in lower course. The Cross is depicted with south at the top, as it appears in the night sky.

The circle is crossed, below the "Star of Magellan", by a thin stripe that suggests a horizon, featuring the word "PARANÁ" in green, lightened by the only visible star of that constellation. The sphere is surrounded by a branch of Paraná Pine tree on the right, and by a branch of Yerba mate on the left.

Monagas
    Sky-blue, representation of rivers, lagoons and dams; 13 stars rounded the image of "Juana la Avanzadora" ("Jane the Advancer"): equal number of minicipalities; the green: grounds, cultures, forests, mountains and plains; the black: petroleum wealth; the sun: dawn, life and force of the people; black arc: arms of our natives; navy blue: the sky; image of Juana Ramirez: heroism of the Monaguensian woman, and daggers that are crossed in the inferior part of the image of the heroin: the brothers Jose Tadeo and Jose Gregorio Monagas, heroes of independence and ex- president of the Republic. Completes the Symbollogy, on left superior part, the shield of arms of the state."

Has to be Monagas for me even though I love both. I like the sky blue and yes I like the celebration of the Monaquensian woman. The flag is unique so it gets the nod from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Very differing attitudes on display there, which I love.

Paraná advances

Tierra del Fuego (ARG)

thumb2-flag-of-tierra-del-fuego-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg

vs

Callao (PER)

700px-Bandera_del_Callao.png

Tierra del Fuego (ARG) - more interesting than a crest on a plain background, even if it is a nice crest and background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Tierra del Fuego (ARG) original design and colours, yet it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Tierra del Fuego

• Advertisement

oh god suddenly i'm feeling extremely tired :D;)

yeah not really feeling either of these at all. I won't abstain because of the point of the game we are at, but hmmm

Callao I suppose, at a serious push..

Tierra del Fuega
    The flag has a white stylized flying albatross facing the upper fly, and its wingspan stretches from the canton corner of the flag to the lower fly corner of the flag. The area of the flag above the albatross is blue, and the area below it is orange. In the center of the blue area is a stylized version (using white five-pointed stars) of Crux.Blue represents the ocean and the sky, the albatross is a symbol of Tierra del Fuego, and Santa Cruz is a very famous guide constellation in the Southern Hemisphere.

Callao

Don't care for it so didn't look it up. Too lazy:D

Callao

Don't care for it so didn't look it up

hehehe :pac:

hehehe :pac:

The other one had an albatross. How sexy is that?

The other one had an albatross. How sexy is that?

Is that supposed to make it interesting!? :o :pac:

Tierra Del Fuego advances

That concludes Round 3. We have said goodbye to a monumental 240 flags at this stage. Only 16 left to battle it out and claim the title of winner of The Ultimate Battle of South America.

Omackeral wrote: »
    We have said goodbye to a monumental 240 flags at this stage.

wow, i've missed a lot but thats some going there!

More interesting than a castle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Callao (PER)

No

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I would definitely have voted for it if I had seen the albatros. I love that kind of thing (symbols hiding in plain sight and also huge sea birds).

I would definitely have voted for it if I had seen the albatros. I love that kind of thing (symbols hiding in plain sight and also huge sea birds).

the only thing less interesting than a bigger seagull, is a weird robotic shaped thing thats supposed to resemble a bird of some kind :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We're gonna get Round 4 up and running in a few minutes. As before, 20 minutes to cast your votes.

Match 1

Durazno (URU)

thumb2-flag-of-durazno-department-4k-silk-flag-department-of-uruguay-silk-texture.jpg

vs

Santa Catarina (BRA)

thumb2-flag-of-santa-catarina-4k-state-of-brazil-silk-texture-santa-catarina-flag.jpg

Santa Catarina (BRA) - love both, but I really like the green on red on this one and the crest is pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Two amazing flags.

Santa Catarina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Santa Catarina (BRA) Its odd but it works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,434 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Durazno (URU)

Rich blue steals it for me

Advertisement