Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Santa Catarina
    In the central shield, the stars symbolize the municipalities of the state, the eagle represents the productive forces, the key symbolizes the strategic position of the state in the south, the anchor refers to the ocean that bathes the state, and the date 17 November 1889 is that of the adoption of the republican regime. The branches correspond to the coffee plant and the phrygian cap also symbolizes the republican regime.

Chubut
    In the center of the flag a wheel of gears is the symbol of the industrial production. The rays of the sun represent the fifteen (15) departments of the province

Underneath the rising sun,the Florentino Ameghino Hydroelectrical Dam,agriculture is represented the wheat The yellow horizontal line represents the Chubut River,from which the Province takes its name.

The [upper white] zigzag line alludes to the Mountain range of the Andes. The waving lower line represents the Atlantic Ocean. The celestial sky blue color symbolizes the sky and beauty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Chobut for me. Think the blue is nicer than the lime, and Santa Catarina loses a point for writing its name on the flag. Also, why is the star wearing a hat? WHY?

So I am longer than usual because we all (myself and three kids) cast a vote here and debated our case on colours, layout and symbolism. If ever there was a house of nerds it is this one but to be fair one of the kids is an artist so she gives the non-nerd perspective. Therefore here is the vote of the Grant jury.

Santa Catarina 3-1
    We like the tranquility of the blue and the symbolism is very good encompassing a lot.

BUT we thought it looked like a lot of symbols stuck together while Santa Catarina incorporated it much better as an overall representation. We like the eagle and the agricultural produce framing the eagle as opposed to the wheat "stuck" on the dam. We liked the bold colours on the flag making a statement and the phrygian cap signifying the republic (but also freedom and the pursuit of liberty) was loved by all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Chubut I like the yellow and blue, go great together

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That was quite a tussle. Only one vote in it at the end of proceedings.

Saint Catarina advances to the Semi Finals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I love that you get your kids involved Kathleen, I do too.

but i'm childish so I usually overrule and go with whatever I like. but sure they can go ahead and have a guess anyway :D

Omackeral wrote: »

phew :o

I love that you get your kids involved Kathleen, I do too.

but i'm childish so I usually overrule and go with whatever I like. but sure they can go ahead and have a guess anyway :D

Oh I might do that yet, I happened to like the Santa Catarina one so it was ok. :D

Omackeral wrote: »

The Grant Jury celebrated by opening a box of Maltesers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Brazil

Country of South America

thumb2-brazilian-flag-4k-silk-wavy-flags-south-american-countries-national-symbols.jpg

vs

Rio Grande do Norte

State of Brazil

thumb2-flag-of-rio-grande-do-norte-4k-state-of-brazil-silk-texture-rio-grande-do-norte-flag.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Love the sail boat and the imagery but just has to be Brazil it's iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Rio Grande.
    Palm trees, flowers, a boat. Looks like a poster for a tourism campaign.

As iconic as the Brazilian flag is, I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'll be disappointed if it wins the whole thing because I see this as more of a tournament for unfamiliar regional flags, but at the same time Brazil is clearly the better of these two flags so I have to vote for it here.

Brazil
    The flag of Brazil is a blue disc depicting a starry sky (which includes the Southern Cross) spanned by a curved band inscribed with the national motto "Ordem e Progresso" ("Order and Progress"), within a yellow rhombus, on a green field. Each star corresponds to a Brazilian Federative Unit, is sized in proportion relative to its geographic size, and, according to Brazilian Law, the flag must be updated in case of creation or extinction of a state. The stars are arranged to represent the the stars in the night sky as viewed over the city of Rio de Janeiro on November 15, 1889, the day Brazil gained independence from Portugal.

Rio Grande do Norte
    It shows a sailing boat at the coast in the middle, representing the fishing and salt industries. Above it is a bar which shows two flowers on the sides and two cotton bolls in the center. To the sides of the shield are a coconut palm to the right and a carnauba palm to the left, connected by two branches of sugar cane. The star above represents the state as part of Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Brazil I like things that are more symmetrical and less is more for me. I'm sure the image in the other flag means something important but it is just random image to me.

Rio - I think I said before that I didn't like the tree's(and the bow) but really I only dislike the one on the right, so the rest is ok for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Rio Grande do Norte
    Brazil flag is iconic but I've voted for the little boat a few times now and will continue to in this round, very pleasant flag

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The Rio Grande is a bit bland at first glance and shouldn't really be here.

But the more you look at it, the more it grows on you. The sail boat and the coconut trees give a lovely air of calm. The only downside is they've given into globalism by dyeing the sea green for St Patrick's Day.

The Brazil flag is good and all, but I think this is a tournament for the little fella. Rio Grande.

No contest and barely any discussion here
    Brazil 4-0

Iconic and we love the representation of the states by the stars and the fact it has changed and adapted over the years.
    Edited because I forgot to say that we love the way the stars are arranged to represent the the stars in the night sky as viewed over the city of Rio de Janeiro on November 15, 1889, the day Brazil gained independence from Portugal. That makes an already cool flag so much better for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

I'm going to go for Rio Grande do Norte. There's more to it than the Brazilian national flag. Kathleen's descriptions really bring the symbolism alive and show that the different elements all have meaning. I like the way its showing you the important industries and traditions of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brazil original iconic

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,299 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Brazil - two more great flags, but can you ever envisage any other flag beside the names of Pele, Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and so many more? Truly iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

No contest and barely any discussion here
    Brazil 4-0

Iconic and we love the representation of the states by the stars and the fact it has changed and adapted over the years.

Same here Brazil

The fact the flag has to change is so cool, thanks for the info.

Hopefully not out overall winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Is this sheep? :pac::pac:

Barna77 wrote: »
    Is this sheep? :pac::pac:

:D

Cast your vote and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

7-5 for Brazil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Rio Grande De Norte

Superior design, more colours. I don't see anything special about Brazil's flag at all.

Oooooooh close. It's great when it's like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Zaph wrote: »
    Brazil - two more great flags, but can you ever envisage any other flag beside the names of Pele, Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and so many more?

Yes.

• Advertisement

Reberetta wrote: »
    Rio Grande De Norte

Superior design, more colours. I don't see anything special about Brazil's flag at all.

:eek:

One of the most easily recognised flags in the world. That makes it special surely?

Advertisement