Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of South America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Friendly reminder that our semi finals and grand final will be taking place tonight from 7:30 PM onwards. Join us then if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Omackeral wrote: »
    Friendly reminder that our semi finals and grand final will be taking place tonight from 7:30 PM onwards. Join us then if you can!

The Grant family can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'm home alone tonight with no kiddo's to interfere help with the voting.

But i'll be lovely and relaxed so i'll either be very positive with my answers, or i'll get a bit excited and act the bollox with negativity :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lets hope the Brazilians are drawn in separate matches so they can both be dumped out and give us the final we want: Stargate v Albatros

We go live in 25 minutes

• Advertisement

Brazil

Country of South America

thumb2-brazilian-flag-4k-silk-wavy-flags-south-american-countries-national-symbols.jpg

VS

Carabobo

State of Venezuela

thumb2-flag-of-carabobo-state-4k-silk-flag-venezuelan-state-carabobo-state.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Carababo

Call it Stargate, two towers or whatever

Brazil
    The flag of Brazil is a blue disc depicting a starry sky (which includes the Southern Cross) spanned by a curved band inscribed with the national motto "Ordem e Progresso" ("Order and Progress"), within a yellow rhombus, on a green field. The green field and yellow parallelogram came from the previous imperial flag (though slightly modified in hue and shape).
    Each star corresponds to a Brazilian Federative Unit, is sized in proportion relative to its geographic size, and, according to Brazilian Law, the flag must be updated in case of creation or extinction of a state. The stars are arranged to represent the the stars in the night sky as viewed over the city of Rio de Janeiro on November 15, 1889, the day Brazil gained independence from Portugal.

Carabobo

The purple red represents the blood shed by the liberators during the battle of Carabobo; blue represents the access to the sea, which symbolizes Carabobo's universality. The sun stresses that the flag represents the light dominating the darkness; the Arch of Carabobo, commemorating the battle that strengthened the national independence, is part of the essence of Carabobo. The thin green stripe represents the agricultural and ecological potential of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Brazil For a national flag its very stylish. Instantly recognizable. As pleasant as Carabobo is it needs something (some white maybe) to lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brazil more iconic recognisable

• Advertisement

Brazil because with the other - 'The purple red represents the blood shed by the liberators during the battle of Carabobo' (thanks Kathleen).

thats too much blood for me.

dont mind them telling a story of where they have came from, but nearly the whole flag symbolizes the blood shed and everything else comes secondary to that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Brazil please.

Caraboba looks great but it is missing some, not sure what exactly.

Brazil has just the right blend of colors and design, not too busy.

Carabobo (3-1)
    Pretty much the same reasons as we gave in the semi-final.
    The colours on the flag are much warmer and more striking than that of Brazil and we didn't like that the green and yellow of the Brazilian flag came from imperial times. We loved the added warmth of the sun and thought it acted as a wonderful frame for the Arch of Carabobo.

We liked symbolism of the bloodshed of the liberators combined with the Arch of Carabobo, the latter being a symbol of national struggle for independence. The arch is iconic and I have added an attachment to show its picture:- it's an impressive structure. As stated we feel that it looks wonderful against the sun. We felt the green stripe adds interest and a nice contrast to the red.
    I have also added a representation of the flag which we love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Carabobo - love the red and blue combo, the arch in the sun is really nice too

4 to 3 for Brazil at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Brazil.

I don't like the other one.

15 minutes left

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,299 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Carabobo - love the colours and design, especially the subtle thin green line between the red and blue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Carabobo. Is Brazil a bit cliched through overuse? So that would make Carabobo fresher to me.

Both good flags, but I'll pip Carabobo

It's a tie! So with reasons taken into consideration I'm gonna go with the Grant Jury as they explained the symbolism of their choice very very well.

Carabobo advances to the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Balls I think I've missed the time, fwiw my vote would have gone to Carabobo.

Get a cup of tea into you and join us for the second semi final in 10 mins time.

Tierra del Fuego

Province of Argentina

thumb2-flag-of-tierra-del-fuego-4k-silk-flag-province-of-argentina-silk-texture.jpg

vs

Santa Catarina

State of Brazil

thumb2-flag-of-santa-catarina-4k-state-of-brazil-silk-texture-santa-catarina-flag.jpg

Tierra del Fuego
    The flag has a white flying albatross, rendered in an abstract style facing the upper fly. Its wingspan stretches from the canton corner of the flag to the lower fly corner. The area of the flag above the albatross is blue, and the area below it is orange. In the centre of the blue area is a stylized version of Crux, the Southern Cross.
    The orange section symbolizes the fire that gives the state its name and is in the shape of the larger island, while the blue represents the sky and the sea that surrounds the island. The stars of the Southern Cross, which guided so many travellers through these regions, also symbolize the southern location of the islands and other territorial elements taht make up the province. The albatross is a symbol of Tierra del Fuego and its flight represents freedom.

Santa Catarina

In the central shield, the stars symbolize the municipalities of the state, the eagle represents the productive forces, the key symbolizes the strategic position of the state in the south, the anchor refers to the ocean that bathes the state, and the date 17 November 1889 is that of the adoption of the republican regime. The branches correspond to the coffee plant and the phrygian cap also symbolizes the republican regime. The phrygian cap also represents freedom and the pursuit of liberty.

ooh now this is testing me :D

ooh now this is testing me :D

All 4 flags in the semi are great I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Tierra del Fuego - I love how the bird separates the 2 colours, great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Tierra del Fuego and it's not even close here for me.

Same reasons as yesterday, copied below.

Everything in it has meaning - the orange for fire (Fuego), the outline of the albatross is very clever and the sea/sky and stars/Southern cross are both meaningful to the region as well.

All included in a flag that is both nice to look at and simple to draw at the same time. It's excellent.

I like them both but IMHO Tierra Del Fuego is the better flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Catarina because I still think the other one looks like the flag of an Aussie rules team

Advertisement