Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man kills 8 in multi-venue attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ypres5 wrote: »
    it's always a lone wolf whenever a white man commits a crime but when it's someone a shade darker on the dulux colour chart it's all a big conspiracy and every muslim/POC is part of a plot to kill whitey

Actually quite the opposite when it comes to opinion makers

When an ISIS attack occurs, the fear is about Muslims being unfairly targeted due to actions of a minority

When the looser in atlanta goes on a killing spree

" white people have a problem to solve " becomes a social media slogan

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Already being reported that he was suffering from paranoid delusion. Amazing how quick they can diagnose things these days.

According to sources, the suspect's mom called Capitol Police after he made statements that concerned her, though they weren’t connected to the vice president or president.

Murray did not have any weapons on him, but he led authorities to his car where the rifle and ammunition were found.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/man-gun-arrested-vice-presidents-official-residence-police/story?id=76520037

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

wes wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/1372300110516867073?s=20

The cop who said he was having a bad day......

Its racism all the way down it seems.

This is not to ignore the misogyny and the apparent Christian extremism and the terrorist seems to have been an incel as well to boot. So pretty much a grab bag of every far right nuttery.

Its racist to say that Covid 19 was imported from China?

A sex addict who shoots up massage parlours because of his sex addiction was an incel?

I dunno what looking glass you stepped through but some of us are still living in the real world. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bambi wrote: »
    Its racist to say that Covid 19 was imported from China?

A sex addict who shoots up massage parlours because of his sex addiction was an incel?

I dunno what looking glass you stepped through but some of us are still living in the real world. :o

Just throw every buzz word at the dartboard and hope it sticks.

Thejournal have ‘WHITE’ in capitols in the first sentence .

Posters love throwing in christian, incel , misogyny wherever they can . No racial bias shown in this, appears to be some weird belief thats sex related but already people trying to massage the far right into there as best they can

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Just throw every buzz word at the dartboard and hope it sticks.

Thejournal have ‘WHITE’ in capitols in the first sentence .

Posters love throwing in christian, incel , misogyny wherever they can . No racial bias shown in this, appears to be some weird belief thats sex related but already people trying to massage the far right into there as best they can

Why do people like you always go on the same rant when facts are pointed out?

Is right wing terrorism a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

BloodBath wrote: »
    All 3 were massage parlors, there's your connection. He could have killed Asians anywhere. Why 3 "massage" parlors?

Looks to me like the very common religious motivated attack by someone with severe mental problems. Maybe racism is also part of that. 2 bird with 1 stone kind of thing.

Somehow Trump get's the blame rather than the church though?

Maybe your own mind is warped?

I hope he get's executed for his crimes. No room in society for dangerous psychopaths' regardless of their reasoning.

A fairly right wing thing to think but I'd lean to the left on a lot of things as well. There's nuance and complexity to everything that's sadly lost these days.

You have to pick your side and stick to it regardless it seems. Every 1 of these attacks an opportunity to sling mud at perceived opponents. Primitive tribalistic nonsense. That's US culture in a nutshell though.

BiB
    Purity politics.
    I can attest to that having partaken in that nonsense previously.
    It's a deadend, it's full of illogical hate and solves precisely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randd1

It's a sad story. Commiserations to all the families involved that lost members as a result of this lunatic.

Being an incel seems to be a common thing in the far right types definitely. I think there should be a crackdown on incels. There's been quite a few attacks by incels and they are all weird alt right type guys.

Legalise prostitution and brothels. Lower the age of consent for using brothels to 17. And give sex vouchers for the handover of guns for use with said brothels and prostitutes.

Not entirely ethical, says you.

But seeing as a lot of these shootings are done by socially awkward or downright weird life's loser types that don't have much luck (and by luck I mean absolutely no contact) with women, I'd imagine the there would be much less mass shootings if they could regularly get their jollies off with a women of negotiable love (or man, if that's their thing).

The much, much lesser of two evils really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

https://www.thejournal.ie/georgia-massage-parlour-shooting-5384399-Mar2021/

Why does the first line of The Journal's article refer to him as "a white gunman"? Sure, it's factually correct, but these articles rarely refer to the perpetrators race / religion right off the bat in the event that it is an ethnic minority committing the offence.

I don't think I've ever read a journal article on a shooting where the first line is "a black gunman".

Peculiar.

Why does the first line of The Journal's article refer to him as "a white gunman"? Sure, it's factually correct, but these articles rarely refer to the perpetrators race / religion right off the bat in the event that it is an ethnic minority committing the offence.

I don't think I've ever read a journal article on a shooting where the first line is "a black gunman".

Peculiar.

In fairness

- He was white, so they simply reported a fact.

- When you hear mass-shooting you tend to know straight away that it was a white lad that did as it tends to be almost always white lads that do this thing. So reporting them as white was hardly a stretch.

- Black/hispanic gunmen usually are involved in single victim (usually black/hispanic) crimes. These crimes barely get a mention, mass shootings however tends to get reported differently as they usually get mentioned around the world.

Basically, the shooter being white isn't exactly the most shocking aspect of the shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

randd1 wrote: »
    In fairness

- He was white, so they simply reported a fact.

- When you hear mass-shooting you tend to know straight away that it was a white lad that did as it tends to be almost always white lads that do this thing. So reporting them as white was hardly a stretch.

- Black/hispanic gunmen usually are involved in single victim (usually black/hispanic) crimes. These crimes barely get a mention, mass shootings however tends to get reported differently as they usually get mentioned around the world.

Basically, the shooter being white isn't exactly the most shocking aspect of the shooting.

Yeah maybe I'm being semantic but there's something about highlighting the guy's race in the very first sentence that seems off to me, especially when the article picture is his mugshot.

Out of interest I had a look through their articles on the Pulse Nightclub shooting and race is not really mentioned as prevalently in any of them, which is fine because this was closer to religion than race, but we still don't even know that this latest shooting was about race.

https://www.thejournal.ie/orlando-shooter-legally-bought-guns-2819969-Jun2016/

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe I'm being semantic but there's something about highlighting the guy's race in the very first sentence that seems off to me, especially when the article picture is his mugshot.

Out of interest I had a look through their articles on the Pulse Nightclub shooting and race is not really mentioned as prevalently in any of them, which is fine because this was closer to religion than race, but we still don't even know that this latest shooting was about race.

https://www.thejournal.ie/orlando-shooter-legally-bought-guns-2819969-Jun2016/

Certain factions on the left will be very determined to add this to their statistics of right wing and/or white supremacist terrorism.

No matter how tenuous or dubious the claim. Who cares what the motives were? The killer was white. Some of the victims were not. Therefore, it's racism.

Peculiar.

Ironically the media's double standards are inherently racist. White people are held to a higher standard. White people are expected to just suck it up and take whatever flak is.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

wes wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/1372300110516867073?s=20

The cop who said he was having a bad day......

Its racism all the way down it seems.

This is not to ignore the misogyny and the apparent Christian extremism and the terrorist seems to have been an incel as well to boot. So pretty much a grab bag of every far right nuttery.

Well that excuses him then. He was having a bad day. Slap on the wrist and tell him to go home. Some far right millionaire will probably pay his bail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

bocaman wrote: »
    Well that excuses him then. He was having a bad day. Slap on the wrist and tell him to go home. Some far right millionaire will probably pay his bail.

the poor oppressed white man forced to kill all those non white people.... The fact a policeman came out with that bad day spiel tells you why BIPOC people don't trust US police

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Cody montana

bocaman wrote: »

The police officer should be labelling him a terrorist.
    Not downplaying his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That you believe that only demonstrates the media's ability to mislead the public. There are hundreds of mass shooting (4 or more people shot) in the US every single year. The vast majority are carried out by non-whites.

To reach the goal of portraying mass shootings as a white male problem, you need to strip out all the mass shootings related to armed robberies, gang violence and criminality. Of course, then you only have roughly 120 incidents remaining over the past 60 years! But when you eliminate all the mass shootings carried out by non-whites, whatever remains by definition must be majority white.

Not true. Non-whites carry out the majority of mass shootings every single year in the US. These mass shootings are simply excluded from the data set when its necessary to set a misleading narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sand wrote: »
    That you believe that only demonstrates the media's ability to mislead the public. There are hundreds of mass shooting (4 or more people shot) in the US every single year. The vast majority are carried out by non-whites.

To reach the goal of portraying mass shootings as a white male problem, you need to strip out all the mass shootings related to armed robberies, gang violence and criminality. Of course, then you only have roughly 120 incidents remaining over the past 60 years! But when you eliminate all the mass shootings carried out by non-whites, whatever remains by definition must be majority white.

Not true. Non-whites carry out the majority of mass shootings every single year in the US. These mass shootings are simply excluded from the data set when its necessary to set a misleading narrative.

Evidence please, or we will assume that you are attempting to create a misleading narrative.

Evidence please, or we will assume that you are attempting to create a misleading narrative.

Who is we?

Anyway, here you go
    There have been more than 110 mass shootings in the US since 1982, according to investigative magazine Mother Jones.

Up until 2012, a mass shooting was defined as when an attacker had killed four or more victims in an indiscriminate rampage - and since 2013 the figures include attacks with three or more victims. The shootings do not include killings related to other crimes such as armed robbery or gang violence.

So they exclude the vast majority of mass shootings to reach the required result. They have to exclude so many they end up with only 110 incidents in the past 40 years.

By that logic if you remove every mass shooting committed by whites, then no whites commit mass shootings.

Maybe indiscriminate shootings would be a better phrase, seeing as other mass shootings tend to be for criminal purposes.

Either way, whenever you hear about indiscriminate mass shooting in the US, it's nearly always a white man that does it. The same with school shootings.

Would these non-white shootings be usually in the process of criminality? And usually against other criminals? That seems to be the theme there.

But it would seem most of the mass shooting done by whites is indiscriminate and aimed at either the public in general, or of a specific group based on the shooters hate politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What's an anti-suicide smock? Is it a piece of clothing that you can't hang yourself with?

clue is in the title

• Advertisement

Who is we?

Anyway, here you go

So they exclude the vast majority of mass shootings to reach the required result. They have to exclude so many they end up with only 110 incidents in the past 40 years.

We, the others on the thread, who else.

An initial look online gives some conflicting information to your post.
    By the end of 2019, there were 417 mass shootings in the U.S., according to data from the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive (GVA), which tracks every mass shooting in the country. Thirty-one of those shootings were mass murders.

GVA defines a mass shooting as any incident in which at least four people are shot, excluding the shooter. The group also tracks mass murders as defined by the FBI — incidents in which at least four people are killed. The FBI does not have a formal definition of a mass shooting.

By that logic if you remove every mass shooting committed by whites, then no whites commit mass shootings.

Yep, that is the concept being applied here.
    Maybe indiscriminate shootings would be a better phrase, seeing as other mass shootings tend to be for criminal purposes.

Mass shootings are mass shootings. All crimes have a motive. The risk is you have an answer you want and then you try to massage the data to give you that answer.
    Either way, whenever you hear about indiscriminate mass shooting in the US, it's nearly always a white man that does it. The same with school shootings.

Exactly right. Whenever you hear about it, its a white guy. If the media can find a white perpetrator - or even the chance of a white perpetrator - then it'll become global news. Whereas mass shootings carried out by non-whites? At best it'll make local news. Just another weekend in Chicago.

We, the others on the thread, who else.

An initial look online gives some conflicting information to your post.

It supports my position. They're counting hundreds of mass shootings in 2019 (more than days). Whereas other sources claim there has been only 120 or so mass shootings in the past few decades. Christ, look at this from last weekend
    During the party, at least one person opened fire....Fifteen people were struck by gunfire, two fatally, police said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There was 0 evidence provided to suggest it was racially motivated or Trump had anything to do with it.

It may well have been but anything is conjecture at this point.

So do you mind providing some evidence that it was racially motivated outside of your own prejudices?

The real problem is mental health stemming from ****e diets, drugs, poor education and crap media and how parasites like religious organizations, cult groups like proud boys and antifa and greasy politicians (not just Trump) latch on to those people to warp their minds even further to achieve their own goals.

That's true.
    The suggestion isn't jewish lasers starting wildfires though.
    It is.
    So my surmising it might have been requires hard evidence? No it doesn't that's why it's not a statement of fact.
    Why are you at pains to attack my ponderings and saying it "seems" it may have been racially motivated?
    Ah, the lad ate too many pizza pockets and played too many video games is it? Fair enough. Yes. Like Trump and other right wing elements. Never blamed Trump so no need to get so defensive on his behalf. The environment created by radicals such as Trump likely played a role IMO, (in my opinion).

He claims it was porn related. Sure, why not. Interesting he went after Asian women and not some porn company. Is it true one of the cops said the lad 'had a bad day'?
    Either way the tone on the coverage should be noted as different because he's white.

This is complete projection. The reality is whenever a non-white person commits a mass killing or other terrorist event, people coming diving from every angle with 'Not all X are like that!' or that it is utterly abhorrent to draw any wider conclusions about the group the attacker hails from. Then there is the accusation that people are exploiting a tragedy for political ends and how vile that is. People expend a great deal of effort to deny, dismiss and diminish when the attacker is non-white.

Yet any time there is a white person involved in any sort of altercation - ranging from smirking inappropriately up to shootings - the act is immediately cast in racial terms. The race of the white person is immediately taken as being the motivation for the action. Broad conclusions are drawn about all white people, and particularly all white men, with white people being portrayed as a problem that needs to be solved. The most recent example being this death in London, but lets not forget the Karen hysteria. There is no restraint in exploiting the victim(s) for the fullest possible political gain.

So enough with trying to pin your own hypocrisy on others.

But people only made an issue of that because it was Trump. It was just another 'Trump did X, Trump is evil so X is evil'. Nobody made an issue at all of the 'UK Variant' or the 'South African variant' being referenced as such. Nobody is proposing that British, South African or Brazilian people are at a higher risk of attack because of variants of the virus being associated with their point of origin. That whole newscycle was nonsense from start to finish.

As for black people attacking Asians - haven't you heard? It's white people to blame. Again.

What political ends? Seems to me you've a problem with it being pointed out that how any mass killings are covered or discussed depends on who or what you are.
    Then you end by stating same on behalf of whites.

Reads to me like you've a victim complex on behalf of whites, specifically right wing whites. There's no need to worry about discrimination or systemic racism methinks. Or is the fear you might get treated like asians, blacks, Muslims, Palestinians if you don't nip this fair play and equality in the bud?

There's no need to worry about discrimination or systemic racism methinks. Or is the fear you might get treated like asians, blacks, Muslims, Palestinians if you don't nip this fair play and equality in the bud?

Fair play and equality isnt being offered as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's true.
    The suggestion isn't jewish lasers starting wildfires though.
    It is.
    So my surmising it might have been requires hard evidence? No it doesn't that's why it's not a statement of fact.
    Why are you at pains to attack my ponderings and saying it "seems" it may have been racially motivated?
    Ah, the lad ate too many pizza pockets and played too many video games is it? Fair enough. Yes. Like Trump and other right wing elements. Never blamed Trump so no need to get so defensive on his behalf. The environment created by radicals such as Trump likely played a role IMO, (in my opinion).

He claims it was porn related. Sure, why not. Interesting he went after Asian women and not some porn company. Is it true one of the cops said the lad 'had a bad day'?
    Either way the tone on the coverage should be noted as different because he's white.

Just sick of the constant TDS BS on this forum. You have very short memories if you think this is a new phenomena inspired by Trump. Just the usual point scoring.

Let's see what Biden and the Dems do about gun control or mental health. I'd guess at absolutely nothing as usual.

Just sick of the constant TDS BS on this forum. You have very short memories if you think this is a new phenomena inspired by Trump. Just the usual point scoring.

Let's see what Biden and the Dems do about gun control or mental health. I'd guess at absolutely nothing as usual.

And lots of people see TDS as people looking at that guy, how he performed and the implications of his actions and completely giving him a pass on things.
    • Downplayed Covid, 500K died from it.
    • Told Proud boys to stand back and stand by, they did and reappeared to carry out an insurrection.
    • Told police to get tough on BLM protestors, old men pushed to the ground and their skulls smashed.
    • Told his fans something needed to be donw about the election being stolen and his supporters stormed the capitol.
    • Constantly prioritised making sure that China was to blame for Covid, leading to an increase of attacks on asian people all across America over the last year.
    • Tweeted out that states should be LIBERATED, leading to a group plotting to kidnap and kill their state governor.
    • Attacked the press as being the enemy of the people, leading to an increase in attacks on the press at BLM protests all last year.

The idea that we can't look at this and call him out for his actions and their implications while other people, just seek to absolve him is absolute BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yes yes we know all this. It's been talked about 1000 times already.

I was hoping Biden would win the election so people would talk about Trump less and the issues more but that's not happening it seems.

This thread has nothing to do with Trump so why the F are the majority of your posts about him. You're obsessed.

• Advertisement

Fair play and equality isnt being offered as an option.

Agreed. That's why it should be pointed out.
    You saw criticism of how different killings are viewed as an attack on whites.
    Defending white people isn't needed if we are all viewed and treated equally.

Advertisement