Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perma ban from Current Affairs/IMHO means ban from Covid forum

Options
  • 17-03-2021 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've been perma banned from Current Affairs/IMHO, no biggie but because it acts as the gateway to Covid 19 forum I'm banned from that for ever as well.

I suspect this was not intended, indeed not sure why it's a child forum in first instance.

Can this be looked at or do I have to suck up being banned from a forum for a post in a different forum?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Coronavirus forum was set up as a sub forum to CAS precisely because it was and remains the most significant "Current Affair" we have ever seen on the site, and it inherited the initial Coronavirus discussion from CA

As you do not seem to be challenging the ban itself I'm going to move this thread to Help Desk

Can I as you to engage with the mod who banned you via PM. As he is also a Site Administrator he is in as good a place as any of us to discuss this with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Beasty wrote: »
    The Coronavirus forum was set up as a sub forum to CAS precisely because it was and remains the most significant "Current Affair" we have ever seen on the site, and it inherited the initial Coronavirus discussion from CA

As you do not seem to be challenging the ban itself I'm going to move this thread to Help Desk

Can I as you to engage with the mod who banned you via PM. As he is also a Site Administrator he is in as good a place as any of us to discuss this with you

Thanks Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi

I've been perma banned from Current Affairs/IMHO, no biggie but because it acts as the gateway to Covid 19 forum I'm banned from that for ever as well.

I may have more sympathy for your situation had you not posted a thread in the CA forum about the man who killed 8 Asian Americans this week, and opened with the following trifecta:
    obviously all gooks look the same to a western goon.
    I bet he belongs to a religion of peace :)
    ps surprised no one got this thread up and running, could he be because he is white?

Needless to say, that's not welcome in CA or any other part of the site for that matter.

Bans from any parent forum on the site also carry to child fora, and I suspect the only reason we're here is because after your original assumption of "no biggie", you realized that your actions actually did carry consequences that mattered to you.

This one is on you, and I see no reason to reinstate your access.

As I say, my query is to highlight structure of the forum/s - Covid is important, CA/IMAP isn't (really).

I'm going to suggest that it would be constructive and helpful to decouple the two.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I have already alluded to, the forum is the most "current" of all current affairs

We all hope it's life will be as short as possible, but my suspicions are it will be required for the next year or so at least

Current Affairs is certainly "important" to this site. It's the 2nd most popular forum on the site. Yes Coronavirus is the one that beats it. However nothing has changed since it was set up this way, and to move it simply to allow posters otherwise banned because of their behaviour in CA is inappropriate so far as I am concerned

Your better route of action, in my own view, would be to show you can post in controversial topics elsewhere on the site without causing problem.

You already post in the likes of Politics and indeed Soccer, which are quite active and often controversial topics. Maybe show you are capable of steering clear of problems (I realise you have been an incredibly prolific poster on the site, but your overall record has been quite poor) for an extended period and re-approach Tokyo with assurances over your future behaviour. I'm not saying I can guarantee any sympathy from another Admin, but to me that's an approach posters generally should consider if looking for some leniency

• Advertisement

Sorry I can't go down that route, in fact it would be quite ridiculous to make myself a hostage to fortune in such a fashion. Might as well hold a "posting" gun to my head while I seek mercy from someone I don't know from a hole in the ground.

We'll leave it there.

I will go to site development just to focus on the structural issue of CA/Covid as it really makes no sense to me (though it's only one of several problems with a somewhat ramshackle site).

Marking resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement