Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend short term fix for rosacea itch

Options
  • 17-03-2021 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Always had the red cheeks but got worse last week. Have started a cream from GP but while waiting for it to work, am driven insane with the itch) where there are a few spot like whiteheads)..Anyone got a solution? Ideally something i can get in pharmacy over the counter tomorrow. Tried an aloe vera gel things but there were other ingredients so made the itch worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Avene do a misting spray, I think it’s called Eau Thermale? I had a bad rosacea flare up at Christmas time and found it really good for soothing the itch and taking down the hot feeling temporarily while the creams did their job! It’s very gentle on sensitive skin and is nicely hydrating too.

This is it:
    https://www.boots.ie/avene-thermal-spring-water-spray-for-sensitive-skin-150ml-10006007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Avene do a misting spray, I think it’s called Eau Thermale? I had a bad rosacea flare up at Christmas time and found it really good for soothing the itch and taking down the hot feeling temporarily while the creams did their job! It’s very gentle on sensitive skin and is nicely hydrating too.

This is it:
    https://www.boots.ie/avene-thermal-spring-water-spray-for-sensitive-skin-150ml-10006007

Thanks , so much choice out there, that sounds perfect. The itch is worse in morning, is that normal?

I think everyone is different to be honest! Mine was definitely worse at night, I still take a Piriton tablet every evening. Piriton also helped with the itching if you wanted to try that!

Do you eventually become immune to antihistamines ? Loath to try as really need them when I get destroyed with insect bites in summer ( happens alot to me) Although when do take , love the bonus of sleeping soundly. I might take a few nights and hope the prescription cream kicks in then.

I’m not sure about becoming immune to be honest but that’s worth checking out if you need them for other allergies! Nothing like a Piriton induced sleep though, another benefit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Porridge oats soaked in warm water and used as a face scrub is great in my experience, Chamomile lotion also helps.
    Try to do a hot cloth cleanse every night using a hydrating cleanser for sensitive skin. It really helps to prevent the whiteheads and papules.

Thanks for the tips. Surprisingly the cream my gp gave is doing the trick, the spots and itch are gone after a few days. Or maybe the flare up was due to die down anyway. Cheeks still bright red but cam cover with makeup so will live with that
    Ive no doubt itll flare up again so will be glad of the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have found Avene Cicalfate good for soothing it when it's inflamed and itchy. Not a long term solution, but good for temporary relief.

What's the cream from your GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Some tips:

E45 shampoo when showering, you can apply some to the face.

Use aveeno skin relief straight after the shower to moisturise.

Take cold showers, usually good after a run or some exercise.

That will help OP but won't cure it completely. Obviously pulse dye is very good but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Aloe vera is not soothing to a rosacea prone face whatsoever. I find the avene and laroche posay and all the really expensive french label products irritating too. I find regular or blue aveeno the easiest to tolerate and soothes the skin well. It's cheap too. Epaderm another cheap and non irritating basic moisturizer. The one expensive product I think is good is elizabeth arden 8 hour cream which is more like an ointment. It creates a nice barrier to lock moisture in that helps with itch, i put lightly on after moisturizer.

Often putting more and more stuff on it irritates it more. Steroid creams will cause a rebound and effect and actually cause the rosacea to become much worse so avoid them and anything overly harsh.

Natural masks are good and avoiding sugar, alcohol fried foods and stress, getting good sleep calm the flare. Sugar and carbs makes me itch I eat them sparingly, spicy food and pizza makes me a bit red in the face but I still eat them sometimes, some things I wont sacrifice!

If it is really itchy wash in warm water with dead sea and epsom salt (either/or or both, dead sea is best if only using one, both works really good) dissolved in, dont put it on your face too hot let it cool slightly after dissolving, rinse with cool water and then light moisturizer.

This is just my personal experience, everyone's skin is different.

• Advertisement

I have found Avene Cicalfate good for soothing it when it's inflamed and itchy. Not a long term solution, but good for temporary relief.

What's the cream from your GP?

Rosex is the cream.Id say it's the standard one they prescribe? Am just lucky worked ( for itch anyway). Did get another whitehead,tiny pimple yesterday so its not a miracle cream.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Some tips:

E45 shampoo when showering, you can apply some to the face.

Use aveeno skin relief straight after the shower to moisturise.

Take cold showers, usually good after a run or some exercise.

That will help OP but won't cure it completely. Obviously pulse dye is very good but expensive.

Does pulse dye get rid of redness? Assume its a form of laser? I haven't even looked into treating the redness element yet, but if gets worse over the years, be good to know there's some treatment for that. At least am female and can wear makeup every day.
    I cycle alot and have started wearing a scarf to protect , for years I assumed i had windburn . So thats a positive to come from this, I'll be more mindful of protecting my skin

Advertisement