Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance premiums for old policy

• 17-03-2021 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

A bit if a weird one.

I moved out a rented flat 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure I called to cancel home insurance contents policy and possibly also posted a written note to cancel it (I might be getting mixed up with some Banking stuff I was doing at the time).

I've just noticed I've been paying for this since (yes, moronic, I know).

Considering I moved out and never agreed to each years annual renewal do I have any way of getting a refund?

Office is closed now, will call them tom but I suspect I have two chances.. both of of which will involve giving someone a laugh down the phone :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

km991148 wrote: »
    A bit if a weird one.

I moved out a rented flat 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure I called to cancel home insurance contents policy and possibly also posted a written note to cancel it (I might be getting mixed up with some Banking stuff I was doing at the time).

I've just noticed I've been paying for this since (yes, moronic, I know).

Considering I moved out and never agreed to each years annual renewal do I have any way of getting a refund?

Office is closed now, will call them tom but I suspect I have two chances.. both of of which will involve giving someone a laugh down the phone :pac:

My neighbour had this lately she inherited a house and sold it in Nov 2017 or 2018. Rang insurance and explained the case.. They said get a letter from your auctioneer to confirm date of sale... The refunded her the value of all policies back to October 2017 or 2018, as that was the renewal date... Maybe a letter from your landlord might be of assistance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Hmm maybe, I'll try and see. I certainly have bank statements showing change if address and new lease etc.

I thought there would be no chance at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I think you'll have a shot, as you can prove unequivocally that you had no insurable interest after you've moved out.

The most frequent case of "insured by mistake" that insurers see is people taking out second policies by mistake on the same house / contents, and paying both for a few years, and those guys almost never get refunds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I think ultimately it's really down to good will of the company?

As I've effectively just been donating money to them..

On their website they say something about if you don't want to renew annually you let them know 2 weeks before the renewal.

I'm quite sure I did, but I can't even prove it..

Will see what happens and update later. Give everyone a laugh at the stupidly if nothing else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

3DataModem wrote: »
    The most frequent case of "insured by mistake" that insurers see is people taking out second policies by mistake on the same house / contents, and paying both for a few years, and those guys almost never get refunds.

There are specific policy conditions for that scenario which outlines the proportion of premium each company returns where there is duplicate insurance in place

• Advertisement
Advertisement