Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishopstown

• 17-03-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭

Looking at buying a house at the moment and bishopstown has come up as an option. Living near students would put me off tho. Is there any areas in bishopstown that would have no student housing or is there pockets of student housing all over bishopstown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Centra Avenue, Westgate road are all families from what I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Students really aren’t a problem in Bishopstown there’s never any house parties there.

They’re pretty much only directly across from the college too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A colleague of mine sold his house in Bishopstown and moved a few years ago as he couldn’t cope with the constant house parties that were going on. I can’t remember exactly where he was living though. OP I went to CIT myself and lived in a few houses in the area and also went to plenty of house parties in the area. Most estates in Bishopstown and the model farm room have student housing.

That said I do really like the area and would consider buying there myself. Look out for subsidence too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Only house parties I’ve heard of are in the immediate vicinity of the college. Google it and you’ll see for yourself. This isn’t like magazine road and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Bishopstown is generally a fairly quiet area. As others have said if you don't want to be around students stay away from houses near CIT and you'll be grand. Stick with the more mature / established estates. Melbourne, Westgate, Highfield, Upper Kenley, Firgrove, Farranlea etc.

You'll spot most student houses a mile off anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Looking at buying a house at the moment and bishopstown has come up as an option. Living near students would put me off tho. Is there any areas in bishopstown that would have no student housing or is there pockets of student housing all over bishopstown?

Uam var avenue,from there originally and have family in the area, uam var drive has a few houses rented out,but the avenue is bliss, quiet suburbia

I mentioned the drive as I've first hand knowledge of a friend who actually had to move from his family home because of constant hassle noise ref students, a local garage owner had 2 house's rented out to students on both sides of him and there was war,court in the end up,both landlord and him bound to the peace,he moved back with family to farleigh drive

You always hear this about Bishopstown but it's a bit of a myth to be honest. Bishopstown is huge and only very small parts are full of students. Most students are now moving to dedicated apartment complexes and are not living in house shares in estates anymore. Haldene, Firgrove, Westgate, Bishopscourt, Kenley, are all mature and very settled areas with houses now being bought and renovated by a new generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

Due to the modular studies now in the CIT most are renting the student accommodation for the short term so renting of houses is not as big as it was before in my day.

Melbourn westgate firgrove,bishopscourt are fairly good areas with not so many students, just make sure you check for subsidence but i guess most have the foundations pumped by now but a competent engineer will know this.

The only downside is Bishopstown is fairly dead no decent pubs or not much on there but location wise its good near hospital, good schools, short hop into town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lived behind the college in uam var for 20 odd years, there is very little trouble with students, I never really remember any to be honest bar CIT christmas day. It's nothing like UCC, they are far more respectful than their ucc counterparts for some reason. You wouldn't dream of moving to magazine road but I'd move back to bishopstown in a shot if I could.

It's a pretty dead town though to be honest, nothing like when I was growing up, I don't see much kids around. Location wise it's perfect, you could walk to the city centre, close to wilton, ballincollig, douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Worth noting as well that there is a huge student apartment complex being built in Farranlea.
    I agree with those who say the town is dead. Considering it has the college and the hospital it has little life in it compared to the likes of Douglas and Ballincollig which is sad as it has huge potential; particularly now that there appears to be a lot of families moving back into that area There were talks of building the Wilton shopping centre similar to a Mahon Point complex

• Advertisement

Worth noting as well that there is a huge student apartment complex being built in Farranlea.
    I agree with those who say the town is dead. Considering it has the college and the hospital it has little life in it compared to the likes of Douglas and Ballincollig which is sad as it has huge potential; particularly now that there appears to be a lot of families moving back into that area There were talks of building the Wilton shopping centre similar to a Mahon Point complex

And it has 2 fairly large schools plus a community school. A nice wooded area in Murphys farm, with a tennis club, playground, pitch and putt course. When I was growing up there, on the green in uam var we had up to 50 kids all the same age playing there, but the area just matured. Great place to live it was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I grew up in Bishopstown and my parents lived there until recent years when they passed away. While it does lack a heart in the form of a village-type situation like Douglas or Ballincollig, it has plenty going for it by way of recreational amenities and has excellent schools, MTU & the hospital.
    There is a great sense of community in the older estates like Firgrove, Westgate and Bishopscourt. While the population is ageing, there are a lot of young families moving in.
    I live close by now and love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Thanks for the replies, definitely will have a good think about the area

You always hear this about Bishopstown but it's a bit of a myth to be honest. Bishopstown is huge and only very small parts are full of students. Most students are now moving to dedicated apartment complexes and are not living in house shares in estates anymore. Haldene, Firgrove, Westgate, Bishopscourt, Kenley, are all mature and very settled areas with houses now being bought and renovated by a new generation.

No myth ref my friend- and the garage in question now is next to the outpost,a carwash- shop now,one of the brothers is the landlord in question -initials POD

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

No myth ref my friend- and the garage in question now is next to the outpost,a carwash- shop now,one of the brothers is the landlord in question -initials POD

Is that car wash closed down now?

I went there a couple of weeks ago, on a Saturday afternoon, and it was closed and had a For Sale sign up.

Mardyke wrote: »
    Is that car wash closed down now?

No was opened within the last 2 week's or so, unless it's good ne now,o Donoghues

No was opened within the last 2 week's or so, unless it's good ne now,o Donoghues

Its closed a while, the site is up for sale.

Hasn't been open any time I've passed it recently.

Hasn't been open any time I've passed it recently.

I normally chat to the security guy in Dunne's car park opposite and definitely opened recently , maybe my timing is off a bit but certainly washing cars there in recent times(was up for sale also I'm tbe past)

Sons are sound out but Dan was something else.

• Advertisement

Sons are sound out but Dan was something else.

Timmy is,POD I'll pass on.

Timmy is,POD I'll pass on.

I tried to reply to you but your inbox is full

I tried to reply to you but your inbox is full

Sorry empty now

I see coke bike stand going in on Melbourne/Model Farm Rd.

Any map of where more stations are going?

I think the plan is to go out to blackpool too

• Registered Users Posts: 10 conjalu

I was looking for this myself, there was something announced about a year ago.

Theres a new one under construction at the Mardyke. I think there was another one to go at County Hall/The Kingsley and maybe CIT too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine who's very much into the cycling scene in Cork told me that the ultimate plan is to reach CIT but each station can be a max of ~500m from the last one so it will take a while to build the chain that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 conjalu

opus wrote: »
    A friend of mine who's very much into the cycling scene in Cork told me that the ultimate plan is to reach CIT but each station can be a max of ~500m from the last one so it will take a while to build the chain that far.

They are nearly finished the one outside the IDA Business Park on Model Farm Road which is 650m from the roundabout at CIT. it could be on the cards soon so.

rob316 wrote: »
    I think the plan is to go out to blackpool too

Coke bike stand? What is it .
    Genuine oldie question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Coke as in the soft drink - they sponsor a public bike-sharing scheme https://www.bikeshare.ie/cork.html

It's not a code for some illegal delivery service - it's all above board......

Someone reading this forum might get the wrong idea :D

Advertisement