Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When looking at 'used' houses, what things do you care about?

Options
  • 17-03-2021 8:37pm

Hi all,

Just curious about other people's opinions on this.

I'm mooching on Daft regularly enough. Looking at houses in my general area, and some of the prices and the properties, don't make a lot of sense to me. Got me thinking about what people consider when looking at 'used' houses.

I know the obvious priorities are the general area, commute distance, number of bedrooms, etc. but when you get beyond that, do people care much about other things?

For example, do people pay more for a house that has been extended? Or is it the kinda thing that you won't really get any extra money selling it, but the extension will make it more desirable, so it might sell faster?

Same with renovations.. If the house has had a new kitchen and bathroom in the last few years, do you like that? Does it give you comfort that you don't have to worry about it, or are you more along the lines of thinking that it doesn't matter what's there, you'll be tearing it out to put your own stamp on the place, anyway?

Friend bought a house recently, and although you could live in the house as it was, he immediately got another loan (on top of the mortgage) and started pulling the place apart to get what he wanted done to it. Some big stuff, but lots of expensive smaller things like getting the bathroom re-done, despite it being fine as it was, for example.

A different friend of mine, bought a house that looked like it had been revamped in the last decade, and was still fresh and clean and he paid particular interest to that because he wanted the peace of mind of not having to concern himself with builders and extra expenses, so he got that house and hasn't really touched it.

Just wondering what the general attitude to this kind of thing is on boards? (for clarity, I'm talking about houses you could actually get a mortgage on - not derelict houses with no roofs or missing walls, etc.)

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Peoples attitude which I guess you mean opinions will be as varied as the type construction and condition of every house out there. Not sure what you are expecting in terms of answers.

Some will gut some will extend some will do nothing but furnish and everything in between. Everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭65535

The things they don't tell you like
    'Broadband' or Eir only

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Price, Location , location, location, size, orientation

If the price is right condition doesn’t matter to much.
    e.g a 500k house with good windows , plumbing and wiring. Would mean I’d pay 450k for the same house that needed the 3

An extension extension would be of benefit providing it’s done right . The price of doing it yourself will always be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Check the roof and look for signs of subsidence.
    Good broadband.
    House orientation for sunshine.

The state of your neighbours houses and their cars ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Location was the most important to me, as it is for most people.

I looked for a finished house because in the Irish market its just better value by a mile. You can have two houses on a road, one without having a penny spent in 50 years and another with 150k put into it, the selling price is usually within 20-30k. At least in Dublin where I was looking. I think a large part of it is a older generation advising younger buyers, who don't really understand the real costs involved in renovation these days and are basing their advise on their experiences which are far removed from the current reality.

Only caveat to that is almost everybody I know has bought to the max of what they could afford, meaning very few actually bought renovated.

Other things that I looked for,
    House orientation was on the list., always worked out where the Sun rose and fell and where in the house got Sun and when. There are houses out there that never really get sun and they are miserable places to be in.
    Good broadband is a must.
    Not having a main sewer access in the garden is another, that can really bite you in the ass in older estates, where the new neighbor flushing nappies down the toilet becomes your problem and cost.
    Not being beside a large undeveloped area. Better the devil you know, then the devil you don't. Quite a few houses end up with apartment blocks looking in on them.
    Privacy where possible. Eg, I really don't like some modern estates and having your kitchen window next to a path in which anybody can park or stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pummice

65535 wrote: »
    The things they don't tell you like
    'Broadband' or Eir only

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Also important to look at how developed the area is. Also house hunting. Saw what looked like a bargain. A little digging showed that there was a planning application of a 6 storey apartment block behind it.

Problem I have is that my husband and I disagree on some fundamentals. I’d take a smaller house on a larger plot but he is all about the house.

Work wouldn’t scare us and whilst the economics would suggest you are better off buying a fully retrofitted house, we are looking for a home and would probably be happy to spend money to have things the way we want them (if we can agree that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

location, location, price, location, size, state of the place, potential, aspect, garden,

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

Some will gut some will extend some will do nothing but furnish and everything in between. Everyone is different.

I'd agree with this idea just from my personal experience. A lot also depends on the buyers financial position.
    We bought at the top end of our budget so we needed somewhere that was modern and ready to live in fairly straight away. Other than paint and furniture we didnt change anything initially. We have invested in better insulation and other cosmetic improvements since.
    A guy I worked with bought his house 2 years later, he gutted it, spent 4-5 months renovating before he and the fiancee moved in. They had quite a bit saved so they went with a smaller deposit and larger but still manageable mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Close to roads, main roads, motorway, new development in future, neighbours which is very important and if next to a rental can be a big issue.
    Out near entrance to estate or in near the back is a big thing for noise and cul de sac would be best.
    Closeness to public transport, shops, doctor and schools for example......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Depends.

We bought our current house last year and the priorities were the area, garden and public transport. We planned to renovate fully so condition internally wasn't a big deal.

We are now purchasing a cheap 1 bed apartment as an investment. This priority was cost, rental income, condition and public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

neighbours. If they are a problem that will trump all else.
    I would like distant neighbours, almost over the horizon.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Buying out in the countryside. Second hand house. It had things we took for granted, fully tarmaced driveway, large detached garage, finished garden, entrance wall and gates, these things really finish a house on the outside and plenty of house’s don’t have them and would cost over €50k to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

Now I'm a parent, I have several must haves. There were a lot more bit in this market, I've learned we're going to have to compromise.

Still must haves are:
    Good, flat garden
    Driveway
    Aspect

Used to be must haves but now are just desirables:
    Location (little to nothing suitable coming on in our top spots)
    Not on a main road (Kids, noise)
    Good sized house (We'll extend if its got the good garden)
    No big works to be done (budget dependent)

I have lots more on the list but those are the most important to me. You have to do your due diligence on any house you're going to potentially purchase. Talk to locals, check for any future developments, drive by at different times of day or check the work commute etc.

Location, most important.
    Orientation of the house. South/West rear.
    Access to rear, don't mind a terrace, so long as there is access, like a lane behind.
    General area, neighbours.
    Don't care about extensions, don't need one.
    If the wiring, plumbing and heating are done recently, big bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

I can see im totally in the minority in that my garden doesn't get much evening sunshine except down at the back wall (average semi d garden) and it really doesn't matter (to me) I thought it would but I am actually fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bertsmom wrote: »
    I can see im totally in the minority in that my garden doesn't get much evening sunshine except down at the back wall (average semi d garden) and it really doesn't matter (to me) I thought it would but I am actually fine with it.

Clearly you don’t use it but if you had sun in the garden you’d miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Oh yes I agree Ted1 I wouldn't say no to a sunny garden and to be honest it's sunny at the height of summer until around 4pm. Its just something I (it was myself and a partner then) didn't consider much at the time.
    I liked that it was a 4bed semi in a cul de sac in an estate I liked. I do laugh now though at how little I thought of certain things we just came had a look, liked it, put an offer in was accepted an hr later and that was that we bought a house!
    That was 2005 I was in my early 20s and so excited.
    I thought after we split up a few years ago that we would sell it and go our separate ways but I've come to realise I love this place, its definitely in need of tlc (haven't done much since I thought it would be going on the market) but I have had such happy times here and great memories and myself and my ex have decided I will just get the mortgage put in my own name in a year or two when that's possible but I guess I'm lucky my ex wasn't an asshole and I don't associate this place with bad times.
    If I could give anyone buying a word of advice in buying a home id just say do you see yourself there in a happy home because thats all that really matters (and neighbours not being a nuisance)
    Buy a home to live a happy life in not an investment to cash in down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We sold our first home because the neighbours were absolutely awful. Three sets of them either side of us on a terrace. We drove up there at all hours of the day and night and nothing could have told us what was in store. Not sure how anyone can really predict what the neighbours will be like, but definitely google the address for news articles. Look at the condition of the neighbouring houses. Look at google maps street view and satellite view. Still not entirely revealing but a help.

When we bought this house lots of things appealed to us including:
    Tidy, paved driveway
    Additional parking for visitors freely available
    New wiring
    New heating system
    New external insulation
    Good flooring throughout downstairs
    New flooring throughout upstairs
    New bathroom upstairs
    Lots of fitted storage
    Good double glazed windows
    Huge south facing back garden
    Extension - in our case the layout of the downstairs is fine but it is not ideal and eventually we will remove some internal partitions and install a bigger back door but this will be much cheaper than building the same space from scratch

We walked and drove past this house as often as possible to get a sense of the area which was always quiet. This house and the last are both terraced but the difference between them is priceless in terms of sound insulation and build. Both built around the same time 1950s/60s but the current house is a former council house and the build seems far superior. Rooms and windows a bit smaller than the last house but the extension makes up for that.

bertsmom wrote: »

I like getting the sun into the house, the house I'm in now, back faces north. Never get a bit of sun coming into the rear at all. It's where the kitchen and dining/living area are. The sitting room is at the front and has sun streaming in the window all day, I don't appreciate it one bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I look for basketball hoops and trampolines out the front of the other houses in the estate.
    If i see them I drive straight back out.
    Nothing says inconsiderate neighbours more than these things.

Also I look for a low BER rating. That seems to put most bidders off, but is easily rectified for a fraction of the money you save in the purchase price.

People dont actually think about aspect properly either

If its a bungalow then actually a north sided back garden gives you the chance to actually look out at plants and flowers as the shadow wont be long. Sometimes a south sided back garden means you have to put your plants in the middle or right beside the house and cant look out at them.

If its two storey house then the shadow might extend to the end of the garden if its on the north side and thats bad, but if its a bungalow its actually an advantage. Again, bidders (who cant get this into their heads) disappear as soon as they hear north facing.

Look for the things that knock bidders out of the running due to their lack of proper analysis or imagination.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Again, bidders (who cant get this into their heads) disappear as soon as they hear north facing.

Look for the things that knock bidders out of the running due to their lack of proper analysis or imagination.

Or maybe those bidders know exactly what they want from experience over the years and know what they don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭65535

pummice wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Question: When looking at 'used' houses, what things do you care about ?

Answer: Broadband preferably 'Broad' Band not DSL from Eir
    Get Fibre if you can or Virgin Media

bubblypop wrote: »
    Or maybe those bidders know exactly what they want from experience over the years and know what they don't want.

Well having bought and sold a number (double figures) of properties over the years I can see that people in general put too much value on some of these things.
    Now most of the properties we did some other renovations as well, but we bought and sold one within a few months and all we did was put a patio, table and chairs and some flowers and lights down at the end of the garden to make an outside seating area. The garden was north facing. It was a Bungalow. Even in winter the shade in the garden didnt reach the patio and it was only about 35ft long, but the patio showed this off and a lot of bidders bid on it and drove the price up.

It cost €1500 to do and the house was sold for €65k more than we paid for it.

Same with BERs. You would be surprised how little it costs to take a e or f house up to a C or a B and what value it adds to the house. Multiples of the amount it cost to bring it up. Taking it to an A is a waste of money and effort.

Well having bought and sold a number (double figures) of properties over the years I can see that people in general put too much value on some of these things.
    Now most of the properties we did some other renovations as well, but we bought and sold one within a few months and all we did was put a patio, table and chairs and some flowers and lights down at the end of the garden to make an outside seating area. The garden was north facing. It was a Bungalow. Even in winter the shade in the garden didnt reach the patio and it was only about 35ft long, but the patio showed this off and a lot of bidders bid on it and drove the price up.

Same with BERs. You would be surprised how little it costs to take a e or f house up to a C or a B and what value it adds to the house. Multiples of the amount it cost to bring it up. Taking it to an A is a waste of money and effort.

Good for you, some people don't mind.
    But putting people down saying they have no imagination is just insulting people.

I have lived in many many houses & apartments over my 40 something years and I know exactly what I want in my own house at this stage. As do most people I would imagine.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Good for you, some people don't mind.
    But putting people down saying they have no imagination is just insulting people.

I have lived in many many houses & apartments over my 40 something years and I know exactly what I want in my own house at this stage. As do most people I would imagine.

I dont think you are getting my point.
    Its the amount of bidders bidding against you that i am talking about.

If you want a house with a high BER for €50k more than one with a lower BER that only costs €10K to bring up then thats your business. But you probably wont be bidding on the same E rated house that others, who can see the issue, are, which takes you out of the competition and is better for them.
    Same for the people who see that a north facing garden on a bungalow is actually a good thing, and at least not the shady garden that it is on a 2 story house. Those who cant see past that wont be bidding against those who do, making the competition less for the ones who did their homework.
    They will be bidding on the south facing one across the road and bidding it up higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 K.Hawksworth

As someone currently in the market to buy, given the supply shortage I wish I had the choice to be worrying about stuff like garden aspect. At this stage I would take anything so long as it's

1. In Dublin
    2. Near schools
    3. 4 walls, windows and a roof, electricity and plumbing

Insulation/kitchen/painting etc can be done slowly over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

One thing to look for is how close the convenience stores are. I like to have a convenience shop within a couple of hundred metres. I think there is nothing worse than having to trael a long distance for small items such as milk or a newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

One thing to look for is how close the convenience stores are. I like to have a convenience shop within a couple of hundred metres. I think there is nothing worse than having to trael a long distance for small items such as milk or a newspaper.

Used to live down the road from a corner shop, chipper and chinese. Used to fill a black bag once a week with the rubbish thrown into the garden. I now like a bit of distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you would have reached the same sale price without spending €1500 on the patio.

Advertisement