Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭carsfan2

change for change sake. It brings them closer in style to i5 wheels I suppose?

I read the batteries in the i4/5 getting improved next year which is of more importance really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is there a price increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Function over aesthetics probably. Most likely to slightly help improve efficiency.

The market would suggest they need to lower prices but knowing BMW…

I see ads on instagram today with 4K off the i4 and 6k off the i5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Constantly targeted with ads on Facebook for the i4 with 4k off and the i5 with 6k off by J Donohoe BMW.

I wonder are they all offering this and BMW don’t want to officially reduce the base price.

They’ll have to go a lot more than 6k with the i5 in my opinion to get people interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Cheapest 2024 i5 for sale on DD is 100k

I think it's 30k plus needed lobbed off the price

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If that's the price of an i5, how much is an i7? Saw one the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I was collected by someone in a new i5 last week. Regardless of ICE or battery power the car is a big step down from the older version. I stepped out of it and into my own 2022 5 series and was immediately struck buy how much more upmarket the older car looked and felt.

I was only ever in one at the nevo show in rds. I have to say it didn't stand out at all that day from the rest of the mainstream stuff.

Can buy a new Etron GT cheaper than an i5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Completely agree. I was all set to buy a g60 520i or 530e for €80k in January and then i took one for a test drive (coming from a 2011 f10) and was so let down and disappointed by the interior cheapness and downgrade in quality materials.

i then bought a 222 g30 530e from beshoffs fully loaded for €55k and haven't looked back, delighted.

i think in years to come the g30 will be seen as absolute pinnacle of BMW engineering for the 5 series. Better than the f10 and better than the g60.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I just can't get past that plastic plank dash they have in all the new BMWs. Looks cheap and half arsed.

(and I've been driving new BMWs for nearly 20 years)

Seven Worlds will Collide

have to agree.

I went from G21 330e with the pre lci dash to new i4 with the wide screen and I would happily go back. The physical controls for air con and heated seats were superior too.

I see no i5’s driving around and the odd 241 i4. A lot more 23 i4’s

I can see low interest rates and bigger discounts coming for both models.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

considering looking to trade up from BMW 640d to i4 M50

currently few on Carzone from €60k -€70k for 222 models

any thoughts on prices or things to watch out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Interesting to see on one of the new porsche models (think it was the small SUV) they've actually put back in the air con, seat heating etc physical controls. I think more premium manufacturers will end up doing the same.

Porsche customers won't bend over like BMW customers and accept that nonsense, not at €150k+++ price points.

Audi are doing the same. Ditching the 2 screen system by the looks of it. It's a step forward.

Etron GT, Q6 have more physical buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

When you account for garage pre registrations from the 36 i5 sales, there’s effectively no sales at all - literally a handful

and just for prosperity’s sake, here’s BMW EV sales for 2021 and 2022.

So there’s about 700 total i4 sales in total.

The iX is a far more rare car than I thought, only 350 sales ever, and new sales completely dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

in fairness at least with the audi 2 screen set up thats all that lower screen is used for so you arent faffing around through menus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Fingerprints look awful though, physical buttons look much better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You won’t be trading up from a 640d to an i4 IMO.

Space, interior quality and boggles are all a down grade from the 640d. Drivetrain is an upgrade though IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I was looking at them numbers for the i5 recently as well, they are so bad I was wondering are they mixing up the numbers with the 5 series as well as the sales of the 5 series seem quite high and yet I never see many of either on the road at all.

What's interesting is that they seem to have sold 72 Diesel 5 series which are all the touring version of the last model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

an electric 5 series would still show up but there aren’t any it appears - e.g. see in the screenshot theres been 10 electric ‘7 series’ and 1 electric ‘4series’, when it should be an i4 or an i7.

(I think the early Audi eTron sales all showed up as Q5’s and Q7’s on beepbeep)

Those i5 numbers are genuinely awful. Surely there’s 20 of that 36 registered to garages and demos etc

I don't think it'll ever be remembered as the best 5 series generation (for me that's the outgoing g30 and the e39) but drop the price back and BMW are onto a sales winner again.

Lobed the E39. I thought the E60 was a good move despite the early bad reviews. But the F10 went back to the E39 roots IMO with the long bonnet etc

I like the G30 too, I think it’s an improvement on the F10. I’ve had every 5 series since the E39 but not the new one……yet. Sometimes I’ve had 2 F10’s they were that good 😂😂

I had 2 e39s, a 530i and a 525i, 525i was actually my favourite because I appreciated it more, I sold the 530i too quickly, moved to an Alfa 156 and quickly realised my mistake so the 525i I replaced it with was very welcome.

E60 was massively specced with everything except a decent engine, I had 523i which wasn't great. Beautiful looking car though with the green exterior and tan interior combo. I think it was a BMW individual car.

My f10 was a 530d, my first ever diesel and my g30 was a 530e.

I don't think I'll ever end up in a g60 but who knows. I don't think I'll ever have a saloon again actually, hatchbacks and estates for me now with my 2 big dirty dogs.

My E39 was a limited edition 530d in Aegean Blue. 2003, so every extra added before the E60 went into full production in late 03/early 04. Loved that car. Bought it in athlone from memory for 4K and sold it a year later for 6600, went to cork. I seen it avertised on donedeal a few years later for 6k.

My E60 was a remapped 535d (LCI). Also had a 2008 520d E60 in alpine white. F10 were 520d’s and one 535d. That’s still there as a taxi but changing that into a Model Y LR with Performance boost and will continue to run that as a taxi in the family. Could have sold the F10 535d 10 times over!

G30 is a 530e too. Really nice car but suffers from the typical bmw steering wheel wear (I’ve had it retrimmed) and don’t get me started on the KLE, vanes module, O2 sensors that have gone on it! Out of every car I’ve ever owed, the PHEV has, unfortunately been the most troublesome. I won’t go back and won’t let herself buy another.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I had an imola red m sport 530i e39, they were beautiful cars

• Advertisement

As per usual I am always looking around at cars and wondering what I would replace the i4 with. The i4 is a great car but I always have my eye out and find the seats not the most comfortable on longer journeys. Definitely not as comfortable as my 5 series previously.

I would never buy a three box saloon again but do like touring models and have had a few. A decent spec i5 m sport with a few packs and pan roof is over 100k.

For the same or less money you could have a Porsche Macan 4wd EV. The Porsche has more range, performance, better build quality, four wheel drive and prestige. Probably better residuals too.
    you might get a worse trade in offer on the i4 from Porsche but not necessarily.

At current prices it is no wonder they can’t shift i5. I also read that there is going to be improved battery tech going into the i4 and i5 early next year so would hold on for this.

A second hand iX 50 model would tempt me. 80k would buy a two year old approved model that would have retailed for 135k new. Good range and supposedly very comfortable but I have heard they have had their issues and as noted above there aren’t too many as few sold here.

I am interested in seeing the polestar 4 but have my doubts over the long term prospects for the brand.

Advertisement