Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

"Not much bmw can do in fairness to them." Well to be fair they could ensure that they are holding stock for the cars they have taken orders on and not giveallocationss to people until the logistics are in order. This just in time stuff suits only the manufacturer in a freely trading world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

definitely depends on what you're used to, when I drove it last week it only made me glad I'd ordered the M50. While it's fine, I wasn't blown away or anything. I currently drive a 3 litre diesel Bmw that is quicker I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

just in time also allows for cost savings which otherwise will be passed on to consumers; savings on working capital, storage and aged stock. It also - in normal times, allows for agility on production lines to react to demand etc.

Obviously the one big flaw with just in time is when there is a global pandemic followed by a war in Europe things go tits up fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

yes, and they have grossly underestimated demand for the i4 from the start. A lot of people being quoted Q1/Q2 2023 for delivery even before the additional supply chain issues with Ukraine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 barryduffy

Tis a lovely car though - was seriously tempted by it but went for a slightly cheaper tesla for more practical reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Yeah true, no doubt I’ll probably want an m50 or equivalent if trading in the 40 in a few years after getting used to it!

The A6 diesel was a big relative jump coming from a 00 Ford Focus! Was tempted to go for a used 6 pot E400d coupe instead of i4 but none in Ireland and very high prices for used cars at moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lovely car for sure but you have to remember, the base i4 is the same as the base Tesla Model 3 performance wise. It will be quick but the M50 will leave it behind. But then you have to compare that to the Model 3 Performance.

The 0-60 in the i4 should leave your 3.0 diesel sitting though. The torque from the i4 will leave it but at higher speeds your diesel will go by.

I have a remapped 535d here (taxi) and it’s quick, but the Model 3 leaves it off the line in on normal roads at normal speeds.

Base i4 and F10 535d 0-60 is 5.7 seconds so to think we’re talking about that in a normal average car (not average priced) today is fantastic. And the fact it’s an EV makes it even better.

Teasers for the i7 and iX1 added to the BMW Ireland website today. Think they get officially revealed the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well yes, cost saving....otherwise knows as profit maintaining. Lots of cost savings in the i4 being done.

I had a tesla a tesla model 3 and would have the i4 any day. Teslas are excellent appliances for transport but drivers cars they are not. The thrill of straight line speed are quickly replaced by the disappointment of lack of luxury and numb handling.

Any EV even my wifes i3 feels very very fast 0-30.....the lack of gear and instant torque will always kill any ICE engine with that initial push....sure once the ICE gets going it will press on, but that feeling of responsiveness is what a lot of people like in an EV. I said this way back in the tesla thread....but tesla have "democratised" performance almost making it irrelevant. Its the will of the driver decides who is fastest, now that every second car has the performance of what would have been 15 years ago a car classed as supercar levels of speed. I was out driving in my Taycan and got behind some guy in a 2.0 ltr Audi. He knew the roads and seemed to have balls of steel. I could only just keep up. Its the fight in the dog not the dog in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That reminds me of this legendary clip of a very motivated driver in a humble old 130BHP Lotus eventually beating a BMW M3 😁

You say your Tesla Model 3 Performance was not a drivers car. Out of interest, did you ever drive it in anger in track mode (say 80-85% RWD) around twisty roads you knew well? I did and it was faster than my Porsche Boxster, which doesn't have anywhere near the power or the torque, but it IS an out and out drivers car with a perfect rear mid engine and RWD setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

The I4 is in a different class, premium personified. Can’t wait to get a test drive in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I don't know where you're getting the idea that BMW is "premium personified".

They're no longer streets ahead of their competitors. Audi and Mercedes are at that price point and offer as much if not more than BMW.

My wife has a 2020 840d and for such a "premium" car it has had quite a few problems. Less than 12 k Kms on it and for the money she spent I'd have expected more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

I’m curious what issues you’ve had with the 840, I have one too with 25k kms and have had zero issues, prior to that I had a 2018 (brand new at time) A7 that the interior rattled so loud at times people could hear it on phone calls, sold it and never lost so much money on a car. As it happens I’m now trading in the 8 series for an M50 i4 (although second thoughts are creeping in)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Front wheel sensors keep saying there's a flat tyre (there isn't - been to the tyre garage numerous times).

Passenger seat heat motor comes on at times without the button being pressed. Actually thought the seat was going to catch fire it was so hot last summer.

Fan speed at 1 sounds like a normal car on 7. Looking online and that seems to be a common enough problem on BMW'S across the range.

Brother in law has a 191 X5 that has had to have a full rear suspension change already and had to fight to get them to agree to pay towards it.

We previously owned a 520d (bought new in 2007). Flywheel went on it after 3 months. After 3 years it went again along with the turbo and clutch. Genuinely never had such an unreliable car.

Previous to the BMW she had an A7 and it had an awful squeak from the dash but other than that it was fine.

I’ve owned numerous BMW’s and never had any issues, owned several Audi's as well and zero issues. Built in Europe.

You made a number of posts about bits falling off cars. Which one was that on?

Tesla, we sold it. I don’t recall mentioning those issues though, I only mentioned the paint and panel issues but the bumper did fall off.

Back on topic though, anyone test drive the i4?

Ohh, you’ve mentioned them, once or twice or maybe a bit more.

It just goes to show that even with the “premium” brands you can have a good and bad car.

I’ve had 2 teslas now and not once had anything fell off.

Theres there’s 2 people above with the same BMW and one had issues and one didn’t.

Im waiting on a cost to change from my Model S from Joe Duffy. The base MSport is the same price as the AWD Model 3 LR. The Model 3 has vastly more performance but I’ll give bmw a chance considering I had an i3 for 2 years, and still have a 520d and 530e in the immediate family.

It’s a nice car different power delivery to the Tesla in general and complete non runner against my current Model S Performance but that’s not the reason I’m changing

Nice cabin, but I like the minimal design of the Tesla, some rather buttons, I have a touch screen and that’s what I like.

It’s by no means head and shoulders above the quality of Tesla or any other brand, even my father in laws eNiro matches it for internal feel but it is unmistakably a BMW.

The thing is, I don’t know if I like it more that other cars. It’s another 4 series and it just blends in. And that’s fine. Some like that, some don’t.

I find it hard to over look that grill, but the reg plate covers most of it. BMW then tie you in to biannual servicing to maintain the warranty. Tesla don’t, which is good.

White is no cost which I actually like (our F10 and G30 are white) so bmw matching Tesla here with the free colour.

Put the 2 in front of me tomorrow and it would be touch choice but I think the Model 3 will win out for me in my situation. Others will choose the i4 and that’s fine. New M50 is outside of budget so that could throw a spanner in the works if that was on the table.

I don’t think mineral white is free, I cant remember if I paid extra, it’s metallic. Great colour, looks different in sunlight, silver at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 skipjack1

I picked up mine on Tuesday. edrive40 m sport but not pro pack

laser lights are great and comfort plus and technology pack do the job

Mine's in Brooklyn grey as I was sick of washing carbon black on my wife's IX3. it's a little unusual but I like it.

Bit dark in the back and the sunroof probably doesn't help as it takes a little headroom.

Plenty of room for two kids or teens and a good boot.

The car is smooth and powerful. Drive very similarly to the 430d gran coupe I had : no fireworks but quick and likes the bends despite the weight.

It's not an electric go cart like an i3s which is always fun.

Idrive 8 maybe a little over complicated but if you are techie you'll have it in ten minutes

Alpine white is free, but it’s more a metallic white.

Multi Coat White is free with Tesla.

What was the OTR price for that spec, €73k?

I Actually like the Brooklyn Grey despite a few journalists not liking it. But I like Nardo Grey so it’s obviously on my colour palette 🤣

I still maintain my old i3 was one of the best city cars and still is. It’s like a go kart in and around city streets, nimble, so easy to park and it reminded me of my very old Starlet GT Turbo from many moons ago 😄

ordered last August although the dealer was reluctant to take it so early for 2022.

Is there anything missing due to the chip shortage. Wireless charging, HUD, HK speakers?

Mind me asking which dealer you got it from?

What delivery date did they give you originally vs when you got it?

You must be nearly the first one in the country I’d say, congrats. Mine was still in Zeebrugge as of Monday. With Paddy’s week I won’t get another update until this Monday coming. Hoping it got on (or gets on) a ship this week or else it’ll be another week!

• Advertisement

Advertisement