Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't get drain when it's preconditioning! That's the whole point of being able to do that while the car is plugged in, to get more range and not lose it by having to heat the cold car when driving off 😀

Any lithium battery will have some self discharge, even if completely disconnected from any potential load. And EVs are not completely disconnected of course, there is monitoring software that is at least occasionally active, there is the app that can wake / control the car, and there is a natural drain from equipment. All that amounts to typically about 1% per day in most EVs. In Teslas this can be a good bit higher if you have sentry mode enabled, which makes sense as it means many cameras are continuously on stand-bye and will record as soon as they notice something. If you switch this off, the cars are back to the normal 1% or so. Never understood why anyone called this "phantom drain". There's nothing phantom about it, unless you are completely ignorant about how electrical systems work.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Precondition when it’s not plugged in. Get most of my charging done at work so will rarely have it plugged in overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I test drove today. very nice. Tempted to order.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between live cockpit plus that is on the 40 model and live cockpit professional that is on the m50 and is part of the tech pack for the 40?

Dealer didn't know and the display looks identical on the configurator

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Which one are you going to go for @carsfan2 ?

what lead time did they give you? Any discounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Discounts? 😂

You'd do well to get a decent trade in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

My car is confirmed en route to Ireland, left the port in Belgium this weekend.

Expecting arrival by Monday.

Should be at Kearys by Tues or Weds.

At my detailer (RAD Detailing) by Thursday for a coat of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra by end of the week and I'll collect it the following week once I'm back in Ireland.

Really looking forward to collecting it.

Will post a few pics.

It's edrive40 not m50 as range was more important to me than performance but I've added pretty much every extra so the car should be awesome to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Buz087

Yllw.ldbttr,

congrats on the car, when did you order it?

i ordered mine in Oct and I am told delivery is June.

Gaz

• Advertisement

Nothing more than a nominal discount available. Told I will get top trade in price on my 330e if I go ahead but that price not firmed up until closer to delivery. Just a guesstimate for now. If I don’t take the car they said they don’t mind as they can sell these no problem as demand exceeds supply.

Availability on the M50 is worse than the. Regular 40 model.

I am not sure if I’ll bother to order Digiman.

I like the looks but fast and all as the 40 was and the handling, ride were great, I didn’t feel it was night and day compared to my 330e. It’s certainly quicker but day to day the 330e isn’t lacking.The big screen looks good but functionally isn’t any better than what went before. Boot space is great and very accessible. Rear space tight enough but adequate however it’s a little claustrophobic back there.

I have lots of kit on my 330e including laser lights, pan roof all the packs and when I put them in the 40 you may as well have the 50 model with a few options.

do you still have your order in the system?

Yeah, mine is still on order but stuck at the first stage still as it doesn’t have any allocation.

I’m very seriously thinking about getting something else for a year, I think the 545e is top of my list. Would also go for the X5 45e, probably go with whatever would lose the least which I think would be the X5.

I still want the m50 and also looking at ways to try and get a demo one from UK or NI when they become available later this year.

X5 if you’re after rock solid residuals.

They are hard to get too though.

Dealer said yesterday he can’t get an x5 until October at the moment.

tha adaptive braking system I thought was Brilliant, the way it uses sat nav and senses traffic around you to apply appropriate brake force when you lift off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Emailed dealer again today and no movement on the status of car, still not gone into production. He said he’d call bmw and see what’s up with it.

The paranoid me has a suspicion that I’ve been lied to and the dealer never had any production slots available to give me in March/April and was hoping to drag it out in the hope they get extra allocation from bmw as year goes on! Part of my reason for paranoid also is the lack of proactive feedback from them, I’m the one looking for updates every few weeks.

Anyobdy else that was due one in March/April still waiting on theirs to go to production?

Post edited by rodge123 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wouldn’t surprise me.

Many of the German brand done this, Audi, Porsche and VW.

Hope your wrong though and it arrives 😃

The thing is Joe Duffy were honest with and told me they had sold their allocation for the year and it was highly unlikely they would get more, that I could put a fully refundable deposit down which I done.

I then went to Conlons bmw and they said they had a few production slots left for the year so I cancelled the joe Duffy deposit and put order in with Conlons. I repeatedly asked them they definitely had slots left and was told yes. So let’s wait and see, I won’t be a happy camper if they have lied to me. Hopefully I just been paranoid.

Surely if it’s just a call the dealer has to make to bmw to check out the what’s going on with the order then I should be able to hound them again in a few days? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Yep I'm in exactly the same boat. I ordered an M50 last October and was told March delivery. It's still not gone into production and latest is now a late July delivery expected. I did change the colour at one point and I suspect the dealer canceled and reprocessed the order. 😡

Another thing I considered was that I have no trade in to go with it and maybe the dealer dropped somebody else with a trade-in into my slot, possibly more money in that deal for dealer than my straight out purchase.

Ill drive myself potty with all these conspiracy theories in my head! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I ordered August M40 M Sport - has been down as late June for months now

• Advertisement

My vehicle is at the dealer. Looking forward to collecting it in a few days.

Looks great.

we’ll wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Good luck. Stunning machine.

Post edited by PaulJoseph22 on

That seems to be the very car I ordered - M40, blue, cream leather, sunroof, privacy glass. Ordered in August and not due till late June.

Given yours was ordered in December - I'm now really frustrated with BMW.

Happy driving and congrats on the new car.

Depends on your dealer really rather than BMW. Kearys had a few edrive 40 slots still available back in December, but no m50 slots.

Did your dealer commit to March?

Kearys told me late March or early April so came in fairly on time...

eDrive40 orders seem to be a bit all over the place. I know the dealership I ordered from had no idea when they were expecting their first customer 40 models, that was mid March. I think they had 8 or 9 orders for the 40. They had been expecting production of the 40s before the M50s.

February was the original date, then when they knew they had production issues it moved to June and hasn’t really changed since then, around December.

surely any production system like SAP will fulfill and order placed 4 months earlier than one that just came in.

Will post more detail when I have it but worth mentioning to be careful with any cleaning products in particular on the plastic of the front grill on the i4.

Attached pic is irreversible damage it seems. And the entire grill needs to be now replaced.

I haven't even driven the car yet. Absolutely gutted.

This was apparently the result of a degreaser/ tar remover being applied pre ceramic coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The irony is I suppose that’s the self healing coating 😔 sorry to hear that you must be gutted.

is it an expensive swap?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your detailer or the garage do this during PDI?

Any chance you can ask what product? TFR? Panel Wipe? Fallout Remover?

Advertisement