Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Not sure yet but heard around 1k (plus labour and vat I assume).

I'll find out the exact product but it was with the detailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

That’s awful. Does the detailer take responsibility & pay for the new grill?

if you could let us know what brand/type of product did that damage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I don’t think the i4 has the self healing panel like the iX has but the fault lies with the detailer and the repair should be covered by them surely?

those of you that have gotten delivery of your m50 models, can you tell me what sort of range you’re getting in your usage? I am trying to decide whether to order and if so which model. Oh

Harry Metcalfe did a review of it and was scathing about the real world range. He wasn’t very complimentary about the car in general either but he kept comparing it to a M4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Harry is VERY unconvinced re the whole EV thing in general.

Had a quick look at that M50 review from him and his comments seem at odds with the normal consensus on i4.

He was worried that the M50s dynamics would be reflective of an EV sports car.

Also assessed it as an actual M car which may well be part of the issue.

I didn't think it was an actual M car or meant to be.

I think in the uk the i4 m50 is similarly priced to M3/4 whereas here there is about 50k in the difference so I suppose it’s a valid comparison for the market there?

The car he drove was on 20” wheels which impact the range a lot too.

my bad you are right , whatever they are using to detar is corrosive to that plastic.

in an ideal world yes it’s their liability you’d hope they are insured to cover it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is love to know what’s going on as you shouldn’t be blindly spraying a detar product in the front grill, especially a brand new car which should have minimal to no tar on it.

I think BMW should be involved here too to aid getting to the bottom of it.

Its a weird one as the product doesn’t appear to have effected the outline of the grill or the plastic plate surrounds.

Reluctant to post too much more information until a satisfactory resolution is agreed by all parties, as there are other issues now as well as the grill.

I'm overseas, waiting to get home and talk in person to the detailer and the dealer.

People make mistakes, I accept that so as long as it's put right I'll get over it.

Will post more info once all (hopefully) resolved.

• Advertisement

Did my first long journey in the i4 this weekend, 500km round trip to Cavan. Mostly motorway driving so I was looking forward to testing out the driver assistance features & my first experience with rapid charging. Breezed up the M9 with the assisted driver feature, adaptive cruise control, and lane change assist. The car was quiet as a mouse aswell, ride quality was great in comfort/eco pro. Stopped at Kill North Ionity, 25 min charge, on the way again. I’m not overly familiar with heading out the M3 route to Cavan so the navigation info on the HUD really helped, crystal clear display and points you exactly where you need to go, even down to getting in the correct lane. Same on the return journey. Only downside to the return was the stop at Kill South, 2 of the 4 chargers in use, and the other 2 weren’t working (one was frozen, the other was giving an error) so had to wait a few mins for the lad next to me to finish up. Peak charge speed was 209kw when the battery was in the 30% range. I do have have the 20 inch wheels on my car, so steady pace at 120km/h for the majority of the trip & a lot of rain the consumption wasn’t fantastic. Overall really pleased with the driver aids (never had HUD, adaptive cruise, lane change or assisted driving on previous cars), and just how pleasant a car it is for motorway travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's the problem with Ionity, can be very hit and miss and they shouldn't be at the enormous premium they charge. They should be perfect. But they are not.

Tesla superchargers are less than half the money and they are super reliable.

did you need to stop twice for a 500km round trip ? or were you not leaving home at 100%?

250km to Cavan, 100km back to Kill Ionity, at steady 120km/h most of the way. Don’t think I’d have made it having the range reduced larger wheels. Element of caution of my part aswell, being my first long journey in an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I think it's the detailers fault. Same thing happened to my wife's g20. Took it to car wash valet and they used and over-aggressive spray on the car (assume it's fallout/tar remover) and it permanently marked the black grills.

Obviously I've never been back now and only detail myself or use profession detailer. I'd expect nothing less from a roadside valet place but a professional detailer should know this about those latest BMW black kidney grills and not be using fallout/tar spray on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

This is an M50 I assume? Do you know what the actual consumption was, i.e. kWh/100km ? On another forum (UK) I see someone saying he's only getting 160 miles from his M50 😳 that's pretty shocking!

Dealer I am talking to told me the one customer that has got m50 version from them has reported back he’s disappointed with the range he’s getting .

dealer may be trying to steer me towards the 40 version though as it’s easier got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

It's the same car... virtually. There's not going to be any difference in range between the 40 and M50.

It will depend on driving style and wheel size mainly.

I've got 19s on an M50. Comfortable 300km motorway range and I have a very heavy right boot. It will do 400+ easily at more comfortable driving.

Around the 26 mark, so works out a shade over 300km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

There will be a difference IMO and based on my experience with Other EV’s

In the same way the Performance model Teslas are higher consumers than the standard cars.

The actual motors use more energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

They'll only use more if driven that way. Put them on a roller at the same speed and they'll be within a negligible difference. There's very little weight difference either.

All the reviews focusing on the extra range of the 40 are because of the wheel/tyre combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Driving at 110km rather than 120km would be far more efficient than driving on 19" than 20".

What is it about 3-5% less efficient than going up to the bigger wheels.

As said above the driving style might be causing more issues, or in this case maybe the cruise control is the culprit and accelerating and braking where it's not needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Thats excellent, do you charge at home and or public charging?

How long to fully charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

160 miles is only just over 250 kms for this time of year, that's brutal even with a heavy foot I think they're very heavy car so that doesn't help

That works out about what, 31-32kWh/100km - that kind of consumption hasn’t been my experience of the car in just over three weeks of ownership. You’d want to be driving like a lunatic in sport boost constantly with the a/c on full blast.

On what type of charger?

Home, FCP, SCP?

It really depends on what charger your using.

It’s an 84 kWh battery with about 81 kWh useable.

At home on a 32a connection it will take about 11.5 hours.

On a SCP (eCars/Lidl etc) it will take just about 8 hours using its 11kW OBC.

On a FCP (CCS), it’s max rate is 200kW but it will taper very quickly so budget about 30 mins for 20% to 80%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

Range-wise you're going to see a big difference between an eDrive 40 on 18" wheels compared to an M50 on 20" wheels.

The M50 is 165kg heavier, which is over 7%, so you would expect a corresponding decrease in range on the same size tires.

When you factor in 20" wheels on the M50 you can expect to see an overall drop of 80km in range.

Advertisement