Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

@Fitz IIIts similar to riding your wife with a jonny on to keep her fresh for the next fellow.

@Fitz II comment of the year 😂

Some very valid points re paintwork.

Wonder if there is any value in PPF on the grill though, maybe not...

Here's me though worrying about protecting a car that is already damaged by a couple of others and not even in my possession. I should give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Comment of the year indeed :)

yeah, some good points there. Got quoted around €1500 for front, wing mirrors, side skirts etc. so I’d imagine getting the whole car done is near €3.5-4k

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Taycan definitely better on the track in stock trim, bit of an unfair comparison ( no rose coloured glasses on here) as the cheapest Taycan 4S with this battery is around €120k in Ireland versus a €70k model 3, Taycan would probably would be more of a model S Plaid competitor. And in fairness Porsche have about 70 years of racing heritage, Haven't tracked a model 3 performance ( yet) plenty of guys in the US are modding Teslas for track days but the Taycan is a well built and fast EV and it shows as Porsche are selling more of them than any other model. so well done in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's remarkable that the Model 3 P drives so well around a track for such a cheap car and for a company with zero racing credentials. Honestly don't know how they pulled that off. But we knew that it did already when it beat all its supposed ICE competitors around a including the BMW M4, Audi RS4, etc. a few years ago (all far more expensive to buy too)

Of course it won't be a match for a thoroughbred Porsche though, even a big family size one. And the Tesla Model S is now getting very old and was never meant do perform on a track, still I'm with you - would be interesting to see a plaid one on a track vs similar sized Taycan. The Porsche will be far superior, but the Tesla is far faster. No idea who would be quicker, I guess it depends to a large extent on the track

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PPF can cost up to €6k for full XPEL coverage.

Is it worth it? Depends on how long you will keep the car and how your driving style is (mostly motorway etc).

I seen a Porsche 992 GT3 getting done last week while I was in getting my tints done. Some car but €6k worth if PPF.

Amand remember, you also need paint correction before applying it. Even a new car.

I actually got some fitted on my centre console as it’s piano gloss black so very small job to protect from looking bad over time. I have the same piano gloss black in our BMW F10 which has swirled to bits (wife drives it 🤣) so I’m aiming to prevent that visual annoyance.

A lighter option is to get the bonnet, front bumper, wings and lower cills done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

@Gumbo - so I’m aiming to prevent that visual annoyance.

Problem is after a while PPF has far more visual annoyances. Apart from the chips out of it (which look like chips), the edges yellow and stain and its shocking looking. If you get PPF tucked under panels it means letting somebody take you car apart to do it with all the broken clips and rattles that causes. Also a fully tucked PPF costs way more than a template job. There is a weird optical quality to PPF also so if only half the car is done its like having panels resprayed a slightly different colour. You have to be careful washing also there are special methods and products for cleaning a PPF car.

They all look good when they are first done, but after a while they are not great. If you want to maintain the visual appeal during your ownership you are kind of destroying that. Never mind the bum tightening time taking it off. Installers will of course tell you this is all rubbish...but go to any supercar rally and look at the PPF cars there...up close (at swirl noticing distance) you start to see all the imperfections.

On a everyday car it makes no sense. Maybe a track car where big stones are very likely or something super low where the cars in front might kick up stones at bonnet level. But on a regular family car it just a way to extract a few thousand out of excited owners wanting to protect their pride and joy and sold with the fear. Put the money in an account and if you get a nasty chip get a smart repair or respray.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

To give Tesla lots of credit, a reasonably stiff chassis, balanced mass distribution, double wishbone front suspension, multi-link rear suspension, all are boxes that need to be ticked to for a good handling car, and all got included. The cheap bit though.. everything is relative I suppose...

Completely agree.

That’s why I have no interest in external PPF personally.

I done the small centre console in the Model 3 so should avoid the issue in the cabin.

Id be a wash often and regular kinda person at home and have a wash bay built into the side of my house.

I never even put a ceramic coating on my cars partly because I don’t have covered storage and I don’t keep them long enough!

My current combo is Rupes Uno Protect using an AIO Pad and buffed off with P&S Beedmaker.

The guy I was in with is a complete coverage job mirrors, light out etc..

The funny thing is that the car is fast and super quick on the throttle but nothing much to write home about in terms of handling. That is until you switch track mode on and give strong bias to the rear wheels. That didn't become available until the car was 2-3 years old. They had good people work on that. Software that was installed at some point over the air made all the difference!

It ain't no looker though and has very little presence compared to the likes of the Taycan. Fitz sure has a point there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah I was surprised that it was quite decent on the track. Realistically 20 years ago they didn't exist, so to bring EV cars into the mainstream in such a short space of time is some going!!

It was never going to be able to compete with the Porsche with their heritage and unrivalled knowledge but as others have posted, for a "cheaper" car it didn't do too badly.

I wonder how the e-tron GT would fare against the Porsche?

• Advertisement

Its not a fair comparison really on cost, but like anything performance based its a law of diminishing returns. 4 seconds on a track is a lot. Every second improvement is a bargain at 10 grand particularly if you not compromising comfort. Also just to be a bit controversial (my favourite) the average tesla model 3 owner is in the first flush of love for performance motoring and may not have a lot of experiance on track....so just taking any car out on track is wild fun, but any car can go on track its not a special thing, I think they would be surprised how fast a mx5 or a Golf R can get around....go on any open track day and you find out that its the fight in the dog not the dog in the fight that matters.

At the end of the day neither of the cars is designed for track use....too heavy, too hard on tires and brakes. You would be better served with a 2k euro Mx5 and trash the nuts off it and walk away when it explodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Porsche and the Audi were reviewed on Fifth Gear (you tube) 3 weeks ago

Sorry cant upload it.

+1

My old EK9 or DC2 would be a better track weapon than the Tesla with regards to enjoyment I would imagine (haven’t tracked a Tesla yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Got informed yesterday that my M50 will be missing comfort access now too 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Damn, mines didn’t have it as I got a cancelled order and I wanted to add a few things but they said they couldn’t change as they could lose their space in the queue.

Comfort Access is one of those that I would really like to have, I assume you will still go ahead with it anyway?

I assume you will get some sort of refund?

My update for the week.

Call on Tuesday, "everything looking good your car will be back to you Friday".

Call today, "more problems, we don't know what's wrong or when we will be able to fix it. Maybe the part we replaced is faulty or maybe it's something else".

Bummer but having had Comfort access on a few BMW's its an option I can live without, always going wrong, BMW overengineer the CA so much there is about 20 sensors around the car.

Not cool, not cool at all. Whats the move from here?

Comfort access? Had to look that up, the car unlocks when you approach with the key in your pocket and you don't have to manually start the car? Guess what cars have had that as standard for 10 years? 🤣

I appreciate it but wouldn't pay a cent extra for it tbh

@yllw.ldbttr - that's just not a good enough reply. I forget now, did you get BMW Ireland involved yet?

I'm not sure, and I've a feeling at this stage that someone at the dealer is probably reading the thread but I don't want a refund as it leaves me out of pocket (market value v trade in, cash spent on ceramic coating, taxing the car etc) and the dealer with a nice profit on my trade in (which they coincidentally sold the day that I asked for a proposal to return it to me).

I want the car I've paid for so I'll be pushing for a replacement of something very near the spec.

I can't allow this to continue more than another few days anyway, a week at most. The car clearly has fundamental issues and is not roadworthy if it can't be fixed in 5 or 6 weeks.

As mentioned earlier I've already taken legal advice and industry expert advice so I think I need to call a halt to this next week. It's gone on long enough and the dealer has had every opportunity to put it right, both the car and the customer service.

• Advertisement

Yeah but its a 50% chance the door handle is broken in a tesla when you approach 😁

Well I think you have done a calm enough job up till now. I would not accept a cash back at market rate, sure you only drove it for a few days. Full refund or replacement like for like and no wait on a build slot. When dealers start saying the replacement part is not working its a sign they have not correctly diagnosed the fault.

100% chance on the older cars that all door handles will have gone faulty. All replaced by latest generation ones for free under warranty and the new ones don't break ;-)

Well good to know 10 years ago they gave CA as standard on a 100k car but could not make a door handle. BMW offer keyless start on most cars as standard, CA is the keyless entry and the sensors to open the boot with your foot

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Or carry out basic quality control on their vehicles in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Jaysus lads why does every thread have to turn to Tesla bashing again........move on. Isn't this an I4 thread.Comparisons are fine but to be going on about QC issues on 10 year old Teslas is totally irrelevant.....we get it you don't like Elons cars. By the way it looks like BMW have their own fair share of problems with this I4 & the other mans iX both sitting in garages waiting to be repaired for weeks upon end

Well I think my point is that we need to beat all manufacturers with the same sticks. BMW have not covered themselves in glory on this thread either. Its fanboish to take only the good and convienently ignore the bad with any car.

My comments were only in response to Unkle (we are friends IRL, its only gentle ribbing and he gives as good as he gets) no need create safe spaces.

What reason was given? Seems an odd one to drop. Can’t say I’ve used it but I did set up the digital key the first day or two. Comfort access or comfort pack? I know at some point there talk of removing the lumbar support feature from the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Lumbar support is deleted from the passenger seat now as is the adjustable side bolster.

my order has contactless tailgate delete on it.

I would be annoyed if no comfort access as I really like this feature.

I presume the cost of the comfort pack is being reduced to compensate?

I haven’t kept up with what is/isn’t available since my car was delivered. Only delete I had was the ‘scribble’ feature on the I drive selector. Worrying if they keep removing features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there seems to be serious teething issues with the traditional german manufacturers and their new EVs, my etron has been back more than any care i have had as well for fixes and recalls. All good now, and id buy another but being a beta tester is annoying.

Advertisement