Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I would think the bean counters have dont the sums and come up with features that use a lot of microchips but dont yeild high profits and are getting rid of them to save chips. No very good though. Comfort features like the lumbar support would really irk me to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

has never once gone wrong for me on previous BMWs, I find it very handy.

yeah that one’s gone too, although that didn’t bother me so much, it’s something I’ve never really used in my current car, might suit left handed people more !

Reason was chip shortage! Digital key is part of comfort access so that will be missing too .. yeah comfort access isn’t an option you can get individually, it’s part of the comfort pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Still waiting on mine to move to production and not liking the sound of the comfort pack removal, find the keyless entry very handy with the A6.

Thought I read an article the other day that a lot of the manufacture’s were starting to have less chip shortage issues and bmw was one mentioned. Unless its partly because they are reducing how many are needed by removing certain features!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Could be that they are experiencing less supply constraints in Chips for critical systems, which is allowing them to ramp up vehicle production but is affecting the "nice to have" features as supply hasnt caught up for those chips yet as the critical ones are being prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Hope that's not the case for the cars ordered last year.

The only thing confirmed missing is the CA kick to open boot which I never mastered in previous cars and front passenger lumbar which I don't care about anyway

Digital key is a must for the gym so that better not be gone.

Just spitballing here but I think the german manufacturers still design based on "modules" where all these features are individual modules than communicate together over a bus. The american EV manufacturer runs a more CPU system where its all software....so maybe they need less chips for all these features??? Maybe I am totally wrong here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CA is such a handy feature. I had it on my 2014 Leaf!

My i3 had it. My 520d doesn’t have it but the 530e does have it

All teslas have it as standard.

Kia eNiro has it.

It’s one of those things that you don’t think is needed but one you have it. It’s hard not to have it.

Mine is ordered since last October/November .. Comfort access consists of keyless entry/exit, boot kick to open and digital key, so they're all gone I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I never use the boot kick to open :) I always feel like a plonker as I can never get it first time. The auto closing tailgate feature with the comfort pack is much handier IMO. Is that still included?

Hmm I’d imagine that’s still included as that still requires you to press a button (on car or remote)

Just had a look at the configurator again, no mention of power tailgate anywhere on it. It was definitely included as part of the comfort pack before.

It's still there if you click on the comfort access within the comfort pack .. "convenient contactless opening of the bootlid"

Yeah that’s kick to open, but the button for auto closing seems to have been removed.

Are you suggesting it wouldn't be powered at all ? Hardly ?! 😯

I know it was something I had to option in

just back to the Taycan, had an up close look at one today & noticed some very visible ppf on the lower arch just before the back wheels. Is that an optional extra with Porsche? I know there used to be an option for front protection film which doesn’t seem to be on the configurator anymore. It looked quite thick & tbh quite unsightly.

Could very well be OEM.

Many of the manufacturers have started too add it (it used to be very common), old avensis had it, my neighbors Auris has it. Tesla have started it on the Model Y.

It can yellow around the edges as pointed out by Fitz and in some cases I’ve seen it starting to peel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I know I am going to sound like a BMW fan boy but I watched this and while I accept it's a much better looking car, I couldn't justify or see where this car is costing 60k plus over i4 m50.

Marginally quicker but not enough to make a difference in the real world, not any more spacious and less practical with having a traditional boot.

Range is no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's just market positioning and exclusivity really isn't it. A bit like the 5 series to 7 series, a6 to a8, e class to s class pricing. Marginal enough gains for a big big jump in price. You'll see plenty of the former, the latter are a rarer and more exclusive sight.

I agree though it's much better looking and will have a stunning road presence that the i4 will not.

I am sure bmw will have a car to compete at this price point at some stage and audi will have something to compete with i4.

• Advertisement

I saw an Ascari Blue eTron GT (colour of the one in Nobbys review) going the other way last weekend (couldn’t tell if it was regular or the RS). It’s a great colour in the flesh, the first eTron GT I had seen that wasn’t either grey or silver.

if the RS version was in my price range though I’d much rather have a Taycan GTS or Turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Sandy Munro identified this as a major source of competitive advantage for the individual manufacturer.

Well the day came, I wanted a red Porsche but I just couldn’t get over the Nissan red. I had to go with my heart 👀👀👀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

It appears from the configurator, that the m50 model is coming with shadow line lights as standard now and they have dropped the cerium grey mirrors and grille, replaced with black which was a 250 euro option before.

rear spoiler now black instead of body coloured too.

I can’t remember how much shadow line lights were.

So few days gone past now, where do you stand with the car, any movement?

Tomorrow is D Day.

Until tomorrow comes and he gets the phone all to say sorry, not ready. Hope I’m wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It’s the equivalent of an A7 v a 4 series , hefty premium alright but the etron gt has some serious road presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Going into week 7 now.

Got BMW Ireland customer service involved last week and they didn't really help at all in any meaningful way. Outlined all my issues. Most have gone unanswered, including the technician sitting on the car smoking - which the dealer asked for evidence of.

Car still not fixed. It does actually sound like they're trying but I'd imagine hampered by either poor support from BMW or maybe a lack of EV expertise.

I've pushed for a new car now, dealer reiterating refund which I've rejected.

They've said 9 month wait with no option to expedite and they're asking me to purchase a car from them for the 9 month period as "I can't drive a loaner car for free for that time", their words.

I await their detailed proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Anyone got any thoughts on what you'd do next?

I'm trying to be reasonable but I think I've almost exhausted all reasonable avenues.

Advertisement