Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

7-8k are they serious, you could have the entire car repainted for that money, and that just a cut PPF the car is not disassembled and the edges tucked. I am sorry to offend anyone but that madness on a car unless its an exotic with hard to match paint or some sort of single stage classic. I notice that model 3's get a discount for some reason.

PPF is a thing that supercar owners do for investment cars or ultra rare exotics. Its become the car youtuber staple...buy car, PPF car, bring car to monaco, new exhaust, wrap car, sell car and repeat. Its somhow gotten into the zeitgeist that any good new car should be protected with a condom in case using it causes signs of use. Drive the car bareback, wear your chips with pride.

I recently got a white car, and never had one before. By god you cannot see any of the chips or scratches, and it hides the drit well too. I alway though it would be a nightmare but it hides everything. If you care about stuff I reccomend white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

I've never put any type of coating on a car, how much does a ceramic coat cost ? How anyone justifies paying 7-8K for something like this baffles me 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed @v10 - that would pay for a half decent family holiday. Or go a long way towards paying for a much nicer car than the one you're buying 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ceramic Coatings usually cost anywhere from €550 to €1000 depending on the level of paint protection required.

Thats based on my experience of quotes.

A new car should be in the lower side as it will not need 2 or 3 stage correction but will require single stage to get the best level of shine etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah realistically PPF is for serious car owners, not someone owning a nice BMW or Model S or something. Better off just getting a ceramic coating and maybe a yearly full detail to freshen it up?

And at the end of the day it doesn't matter if your BMW has swirls it won't effect your trade-in, they'll wreck it giving it a wash themselves getting it ready for the next sale anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

The colour choice on most BMWs isn’t great I agree. Couldn’t justify an extra €5-6k to option in any other of the individual colours either.

The ceramic coating should negate the yearly detail as the detail will remove the coating so you’d have to apply it again.

Ceramic coating and safe washing along with top up wax/costs/QD would be enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

You'd think a new car doesn't need that but I always tell BMW not to touch the car from the factory and you should see the state of the paint when it come in, you'd think it was put through a sandblasting carwash.

The quality of the dealer's protect x might as well be some guy with a lidl polisher having a go at a brand new car.

Yes paint correction is required day one, before applying the ceramic so I'd say 1k ballpark is accurate.

The problem with the 8k PPF is what those xpel folk charge, he showed me the price list as I was like W T F, the bumper alone was €900 just for the wrap (fitting excluded). Only makes sense if keeping the car until it dies 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I see on carzone that both Frank Keane and Conlan’s seem to be selling their 221 demo i4 40 models. This would seem to me that they have new demos arriving as they wouldn’t put them up otherwise. When I drove a demo with my dealer they said they wouldn’t be selling it anytime soon as they didn’t know when or if they could replace it.

another indication supplies are improving perhaps?

€75k for a 1 year old i4 40? Jaysus if they could get that for sure they would sell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

So after all the waiting it finally seems to be moving along. Checked genius chat and it’s at “152 Paint Shop Started“.

Next question is when will it arrive at dealer and do we take it or ask them to hold it until Jan. if arriving mid to late Nov then inclined to hold till Jan…torn on what to do!

I was told to expect delivery about 4 weeks after the production week. I certainly wouldn't be taking delivery in November but I guess it depends on how you're buying it, lease, pcp etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

may not have a choice, if it was december maybe, but they will have q4 targets to hit and may not be as helpful as youd expect.

Well you always have a choice, like I said, I wouldn’t take it, I’d give it up if I was told it had to be registered in Nov/Dec. If I was planning to keep the car for 5 years or so it would probably bother me less but 2/3 years would be more the norm for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I have heard dealers say that they dont want to push the registrations into 2023 as it will affect their build slot allocations for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭blingrhino

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah ok, yes of course you could refuse it, not too many will tho!

Will be keeping it for 4 years minimum.

Dealer did say to me a few weeks back that that most people they are onto don’t want to take the car from Nov/Dec and that because of the delays they would work something out (dealer told bmw Ireland this also).

So I’ll be surprised if they don’t allow us delay it until January if we insist.

He basically said he’ll give me a call when car is in production and we can decode what way to go, I got the impression wouldn’t be an issue to delay but didn’t really question too much.

In terms of the reg date causing it to loose value little quicker. Hard to predict the future but my educated guess is that any of these electric cars sold now aren’t going to loose huge money from depreciation in comparison to before brexit.

It doesn’t look like the Irish market is going to get the required used stock any time soon to force downward pressure on prices. Coupled with the severely reduced number of new evs sold over last 2 years, there is going to be an under supply of used evs in 3 or 4 years.

Of course a major world recession could change things I suppose!

If you're going to keep it at least 4 years, getting it just before the reg chance is not going to make a huge difference. In fact, I'd be careful. The dealer could see it as a cancellation if you refuse to take delivery and then not only would you be back to the end of the queue or you might make it into the dealer's bad book.

• Advertisement

I won’t refuse it if they refuse to hold it until new year.

Couldn’t help myself and asked genius chat the current status again! Two days later and gone from 152 paint shop to 182 Schedule for Carrier with estimated delivery date of week 7th Nov.

After happening very quick after the wait, better pull the finger out and get setup for charger install incase we do take it that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

have you agreed when you’ll take the car and have you got a fixed price for a trade in?

my car is due February and the dealer still won’t give me even an indicative price on cost to change.

in the past I’ve had a price agreed 3/4 months out from delivery.

Good stuff, mine is still going from 111 to 112 and back to 111 again. For the last few weeks it was scheduled for production next week (Oct 24th) but has just moved back again to 21st November 🙄

Anyone interested in taking my order ? .. for small convenience fee 😉

Don’t have any trade in and nothing agreed on if we will take the car.

Im leaning towards taking it if arrives around 7th. Might see if they can throw in free service and one set of tyres as a goodwill gesture! Don’t ask you don’t get!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I see Frank Keane has a 221 i4 e40 up on carzone with 11,000km on the clock for €74,950.

I just put the details of the car into the BMW configurator and came up with a brand new cost of €73,103.40

So Frank Keane is looking for more than the new price for a 6 month old car with 11,000km on the clock. I didnt think BMW approved of its dealers gouging so blatantly. Damages the brand and all that.

Configurator link

https://configure.bmw.ie/en_IE/configid/mbub2n92

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

The M50 on carzone is also priced over list (not a BMW dealership though). Based on the spec I’d say it’s optioned to about €83k, looking for nearly €88k.

That’s the “Premium Brand” pricing BMW tell us so much about 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

5k extra? Bargain 😂

Chancers in the dealers in the US charging like 20k extra. Getting 🤬 scalped right, left and center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Why wouldn't they charge more? This forum is full of people bragging about making a profit on the cars they bought and sold (myself included)

Advertisement