Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

$4000 cheaper than the 40 model. Even if it came here, there's no chance it will come in under the SEAI grant threshold then, or is there?

If there was, I'd seriously consider ordering it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

No chance it will come in under current grant thresholds. The other thing then is whether grants will even exist by the time its available so probably doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That is key. By the time the 35 version is here, the grant be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Plus at the rate BMW are increasing prices then it would most likely move above threshold at some point next year again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Grants being reduced in July next year and ended 6 months after that. In order to qualify for the grant the cars would need to be available now.

40 model is currently €65k list. That includes a good chunk of VRT and VAT. If that $4000 US price difference (no taxes over there) could translate to a €6k difference here, the 35 model would be €59k list and at that under the €60k threshold, so get the €5k SEAI grant, making it a €54k list car?

Not unthinkable. According to the link, the car production for the US market would start late 2022, for delivery early 2023

I know it's a bit wishful thinking, but the exact same happened to the Tesla Model Y when a newer cheaper model was launched last month. Should this happen with the BMW, it is quite likely I will cancel my Tesla order and go for the BMW instead.

Would I be right in saying the vrt on electric cars is very low in comparison to ICEs and hence making them cheaper than they could be?

If so, could see them edging those rates up over the years as most people move to them. They probably set the rate based on weight of car maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

VRT is 7% on EVS, and only applies to EVs above 40k

Cheapest i4 is now listed at 68825 euro before metallic or any options so a 70k car.

in my view if they bring in a 35 model it’ll be minimum 65k.

• Advertisement

Where do you get that? If you follow the configurator all the way until the end, leaving everything default, you get an on the road price (yes it says that, so incl. all dealer charges too) of €65,505:

Given the $4k price difference in the USA without any taxes, a price difference here of just over €5.5k incl. VAT and VRT would bring it under the grant level.

i4 can be got for €65k OTR.

Are you looking at the msport version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The e40 Sport is €65,500 OTR on the configurator but I do see it says the i4 starts from €68k on the web page. Maybe they're showing 231 prices on the website and haven't updated the configurator yet?

I’m gone to “190 In transit to port of exit” with expected delivery date week commencing 28th November. Be surprised if dealer has any of his 3 orders arriving willing to take a 222 at that stage! (Unless it’s a take it or leave of course)

Price on the configurator haven't been updated. Look at the prices listed on the home page, they’re the correct ones following the price rises two weeks ago.

68825 is the new on the road pricing. Good luck getting one for that though. Every BMW dealer charges more for delivery than the quote on the website and service pack is another few hundred.

A non metallic white basic model will be a residual disaster anyway!

@carsfan2 - "A non metallic white basic model will be a residual disaster anyway!"

Au contraire. It will have the lowest depreciation of them all. Provided it gets the €5k SEAI grant 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yes but you're forgetting it would need to be a poverty spec i4 SE, with manual seats and other disgusting things like cloth seats 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Agreed, why are people on boards constantly thinking that heavily specced cars keep their value better.....extras depreciate like a rock. Base model, base spec cars always sell well because it makes the car more affordable and broadens the market. Think people mistake their own desires for those that sell to a general audience.

Post edited by Fitz II on

Completely agree. Seems to be a premium issue round here 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Only added extras I can see that holds value well is when it sort of turns it into a different car..... an upgraded power plant like a 3 litre engine in these days of lower motor tax, or overall trim level like msport, amg or s line trim or an auto gearbox in some higher end stuff that also offered manuals, although gearbox not a consideration on more recent models and obviously not on EVs.

Keeping the car tidy and low mileage key too.

530d msport for example is a well known car and are going for big money. Premium between that and a manual 520 SE from say 2015 would be a fair bit but not quite the same premium as when new. Also helps that they didn't sell in big numbers and are rare in last 10 years or so. Upgraded wheels and techie add ons won't do a whole lot for your residuals.

But the shortage now means anyone buying an i4 at lower end will move it on fairly easily and happily in 2 to 3 years once the economy doesn't blow up. They may not like the cost to change though such is the pace of price rises at the moment.

• Advertisement

530d good, but 525d even better!

I had a pre LCI E60, and LCI E60 and still have an LCI F10 taxi all in 535d form.

Very hard to get into anything else after having one, especially when mapped!

I've never ever seen an upgrade that was worth more second hand than it was new. I can remember only 1 option of 1 car that fully kept its value and that was the battery upgrade on a Nissan Leaf from 24kWh to 30kWh back in about 2016, which was €3000. Even several years later, the bigger battery cars were worth the full €3000 more. Not quite so now, but of that €3000 back 6 years ago, €2000 or thereabouts is still there.

Don't take my word for it, even revenue agree, they depreciate all options on all second hand cars all the way down to zero value in 4 years for VRT purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Oooof.... 🫤

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

To my absolute shame...

Was in a hurry at the weekend, kids in the car, I was distracted.

Spot I usually park in I reverse a little bit towards a kerb, and the parking sensor beeps but I know I'm clear of the kerb so it's fine. Then I drive and swing out the gate.

What I forgot was that I had a skip placed in that spot the day before.

Minimal impact, taillight clipped the corner of the skip. Was absolutely sick to be honest but my journey of bad luck with this vehicle continues. Can't wait to be rid of it in Q1 next year and start fresh. 366 to replace including labour which is the grand scheme of things isn't too bad. I was expecting worse.

I've duct tape on it at the moment... Morto.

Hey it happens, good no bodywork damaged. A few hundred is an amazingly lucky escape on a car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Could be a serious competitor to the Model 3 at the right price even after the grant is removed/reduced in July if the price is right..

I'd likely buy it and cancel my Tesla Model Y order if it becomes available before July 2023 and qualifies for the SEAI grant.

Interestingly, both these cars are available for order right now in Germany and according to your link they are almost the same price (the BMW a few hundred quid cheaper). The Tesla gets the grant here, so maybe the i4 will too when it becomes available

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

Lucky escape indeed. We have a Honda e as a company car, wife clipped the gate with a minimal scrape to bumper which my local excellent chap will fix. Outer cover broken and part of the inner cracked and mountings broken

€607 for a new complete rear light ex vat (746 inc) from main stealer, not fitted and delivered only to them and over an hour to go collect.

I imported from a big Honda spares place in the Uk, exact same part, delivered to the house for €350 inc delivery, customs processing charge from dhl and €12 duty. No vat as supplied company details but that’s less than 60% of the price charged here.

maybe the price difference is due to volumes made but the bmw price is very reasonable these days

I could pop it in myself but will leave it to the paint chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

It's a great proposition, can't see it happening though unfortunately with the current delays on the more premium trim levels.

Advertisement