Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Response from BMW Ireland with regards to the eDrive 35.

“Hi Gumbo, thanks for your message. We can understand why the BMW i4 caught your eye - it's an impressive car. BMW haven't released any information about the i4 e35 hitting our Emerald Isle. But, we recommend signing up to our newsletter here: https://bit.ly/3U27JNd, so you can be kept informed about new releases as they become available. In the mean time you can have fun building your own BMW i4 on our configurator here: https://bit.ly/3TWookZ. There’s some great choice of colours.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wasn't the only one then. Fook off with your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its

"modern new fangled social media (instagram) brand influence" type approach to marketing..

Especially with the "sign up for newsletter and positive vibes even though we don't have the precise model you asked for".

They think it works but I'm not sure.

VW put the big battery eUp up on their Irish site but although I'm interested - I didn't go looking at their site for updates* every so often.

If they want to sell the car they will let us know about it soon enough.

*that's the VW Ireland twitter person's equivalent to sign up for newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Has anyone experimented with limiting the AC charging rate?

I've put a deposit on a 7Kw solar installation which should be put in early next year. It doesn't include a Zappi but I've an Ohme installed (doesn't work directly with the solar afaik and I'd rather not have to spend another 1500 on a Zappi).

I noticed I can limit the charging rate in the app (screenshot below). Am I right in thinking that the 7kw output would be approx 29amps and would it be linear downwards from there.

On a good summer day I'd expect to be generating a few Kw in excess of consumption so once hot water tank is full and household battery is full I could plug the car in for a few hours and charge at low amps?

Does that make sense? I probably need to talk to my electrician.

• Advertisement

Yep or you can do it automatically with a smart EV charge point like a zappi. It will just take any excess PV production and send it to your car.

I thought the OHME was Solar PV compatible?

That’s the whole point of them. You plug car in and set to solar excess. The the charger decides when there’s enough excess to charge the car at that rate.

You shouldn’t have to adjust the amp setting in the car.

Zappi and Wallbox do this automatically.

Understood but I specifically mentioned I don't want to spend another 1500 on a Zappi.

No, ohme doesn't support solar (according to their FAQ anyway)

• Advertisement

That’s a bummer there was a few people that were correcting me when I only recommended the Zappi or wallbox saying the OHME does support it. Maybe a newer version?

Suited me at the time as I had no plans for solar but plans change...

I only had it installed this year so I think it's the newest version.

https://ohme-ev.com/resources/article/faqs

Unfortunately, we do not yet support solar integrations, but we are working on it.

Who said you should be spending another €1500? It cost me minus €160 to upgrade from my old ABL charge point that I got installed for free 6 years ago, to a zappi earlier this year 😂

Assume you either self installed or got a deep discount.

Anyone I asked for an estimate quoted 1200-1500 to supply and install...

(No grant as I've used that to install the Ohme)

€1500 is the ballpark for a Zappi in Dublin.

But because you already have a unit installed, it’s just a matter of swapping units and fitting a CT Clamp.

So you could buy a wallbox on Amazon for €500 ish. For yourself and sell the OHME.

Yeah I wouldn't do it unless you can get a good price smart charge point, you can install it yourself and get decent money back for your old one. If spending more then a few hundred quid, the smart charge point is unlikely to ever pay for itself, unless you A. have a huge PV array and B. the price of night rate electricity is further going up significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

So got a call from the dealer, car is with them!

Trying his best to coax me into taking it now, saying sure why don’t you come in and take a look at it at weekend!

I said yeah I would but have no interest in taking it with 5 weeks to new year! 😂

He says BMW are trying to insist to them that all cars delivered this year are registered this year, even though they previously told him they would accommodate late deliveries.

Will know more next week when they get back to him again.

All I can say is that if I’m forced to take it now then I will BUT I will remember it when/if it comes to trading in a 3 or 4 years. BMW and this dealer won’t be getting another sale from me.

It would be very short sighted of them to do this in my opinion when above considered plus the bad mouthing I’d be giving them to friends/family.

We are only in mid 30s so decades more of car purchases all going well!

Maybe I’m just thinking that as it suits my narrative! 😂😂

Makes no difference anymore.

BMW dealers in Ireland are ran by accountants. They are a numbers business and they don’t care to be quite frank.

If you don’t take it, someone else will.

On the other hand, enjoy the car either way. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

My dealer tells me BMW Ireland are now not certain there is price protection in place on existing orders. He says he can’t get a straight answer on policy from BMW who he says are moving the goalposts all the time which sounds like what rodge is experiencing.

gave me a lowish trade in price against my i4 and when I said I might try and sell it myself, I was told me getting a car is contingent on them getting my trade in. Also told me i4's are so sought after by customers that they are picking and choosing who to sell them to.

Post edited by carsfan2 on

Customer is always right is often misquoted. its the customer is always right in matters of taste...after that its a mutual relationship where both sides must be getting the best deal. BMW could sell every i4 twice at the moment, if you dont take it now it will effect sales numbers and potentially allocation for next year. So either take if or dont. Nobody will loose out but you. This chasing number plates needs to stop, and only when both dealers and customers agree that it doesn't matter can we move on from the lunacy.

• Advertisement

Heard the same last month and posted it on here on 28th Oct.

People said no, they were guaranteed their trade in price quoted a year ago and priced locked at the old price.

I can't see either of them being done to be honest.

True now for all EV's.

I was talking to the Owner of a large car chain yesterday.

He can't get enough MG EV's to satisfy demand. He doesn't involve himself with the day to day or the tech details, just the figures and he stated demand is there for the next couple of years.

The minute you say no, the phone gets lifted for the first guy on the waiting list. No second chances as your car is then gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Its nothing to do with number plate chasing, it’s to do with chasing my wallet!

When it comes to trade in for a 261, I will definitely be offered less for a 222 vs a 231.

As for nobody losing out but me, in the short term yes that’s right.

In the medium to long term BMW and the dealer will too as I won’t go near them again.

I’ll be taking it if they refuse to hold it but frankly it would be very bad form from them considering I was previously led to believe they would and the dealer is claiming BMW also told them they would accommodate late deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Dead right, I wouldn't be taking it this late in the year. You will absolutely get less for a 222 vs a 231 in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Remember you're buying the car for the car, not for the 🤬 number and you lose 25% as soon as you drive out.

What you think the car is worth in 3-4 year doesn't meat squat, the market will dictate that, on my last trade-in in 2019 (a fully specced 2017 F30 330e), BMW told me to for them to take the car in I needed to pay them about 3k because the "car was too expensive for the market" - sold it privately and told them to go F

Now trading in the G20 and making over 10k on it, plate number didn't count much in either scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Choosing to wait until the new year is not about the plate but about maximising your return down the road, it's literately weeks away!

Just like you would have got more for your 🤬 2019 fully specced 2017 F30 330e had it been a 2020 ... saying anything different is just incorrect.

Really what will the price difference be between a 222 and a 231 with the same mileage and spec? a couple of grand maybe? What if the chap gives up the car and cannot get another one for 9 months? whats 9 months not having the car worth? What is there is a price increase next year as their likely will be your going to pay more than today. Whats your time enjoying the car worth, there is still 5 weeks of 22 left, you could be dead in a month who knows.

i think at this level, condition, spec and mileage are more important than number plate, so if we are going to maximise resale value, remember to not drive it and keep it locked away in a garage, and keep the options to a minimum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

100%

Oh and the F30 was not even 2.5 years old while the G20 will be 3.5 (same mileage and cost new too) - so plate did not mean anything, to the dealer that is. The usual tire kicker will say differently ofc.

Totally agree with @Fitz II you're buying a car because you enjoy it not because of the resell price, that's a bonus 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

BMW i4 is no Porsche 911 or Lamborghini.

Trade one in, in three years and the year on number plate will make a difference to the garage taking it in or the next purchaser.

unless you lose the car, I would insist on waiting until January

• Advertisement

Remember guys, the i4 is sought after now. In 3 years time it’s just gone be the next 320d.

Same as other brands, Tesla model 3 for example. Massive ques for them but they are just another family saloon.

Once the hype settles, think or normal depreciation and normal trade values in 3 years.

Id take the car today irrespective of the reg plate if I’m honest.

When I’m shopping for a used car, 3/4 years old, I’m looking at condition, history and spec within the same body shape.

For example, I’d take a clean genuine 142 F10 now over a higher mileage lower spec 151 F10.

Advertisement