Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, more than enough a within 5 mins or so.

Was the Same for the leaf, i3, Teslas and any other EV that I’ve had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Preheating an EV is probably the biggest game changer for me to go electric. I've been working shifts for the last 6 years so I see a lot more cold than on a 9-5. No more waddling through the car park with the 2L bottle of warm water at 1am.

@Buddy Bubs word of caution with the Cupra app, I scheduled heating to come on for 1am departure after work and it didn't seem to work. I just activate it manually if needed 20-30 minutes before leaving. Turned it on twice 15 minutes before getting into the car when leaving somewhere and it wasn't very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I predict that this will happen, if not in next year’s update then definitely for the lci the year after.

it has changed on the ix3 to this shifter just recently without any mention.

The blue shifter and start button don’t look great in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Thats strange that they changed it on the iX3 considering the LCI has only been shipping since this year. I actually like the gear knob. Looking at the ix3 render on the configurator the pedals look different to whats on the current LCI.

How did you spot that change>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is exactly what the base level iX has, and it's all you need.

That said, I find the layout should be inverted, I'm always naturally pushing it forward to drive and getting reverse, and vice versa.

• Advertisement

It’s always back for forward.

That’s the layout of every automatic ever produced. Is this your first auto car?

It's the first I've had with a "gear" selector that is flat horizontal, all my previous ones have either been a steering wheel stick or mounted to move vertically.

The fact that I'm now moving it with (or against) the direction of the car is what's throwing me off.

Similar to the leaf and the Niro. All dials on them.

But it’s always been back to go and forward to reverse.

The i3 was the same. You twisted it back to go forward.

No, my i3 wasn't like that, you pushed the paddle forward to get into drive, and pulled it backwards to get reverse:

There goes my memory.

It was in my head. I had an i3 for 2 years 🤣🤣

Just further highlights BMW’s cheap approach with the i4. The i3 was a fantastic car and innovative and the i4 is a step backwards as they just threw it together. Little things like this should have been improved on rather than going backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Cold weather is a killer and the lack of ability to properly pre condition the battery for DC charging seems like a huge gap.

(I know you can specify the destination in the in built sat nav but I've never found that to make a difference).

Drove Cork - Dublin at 6am in temps between -1 and +1°c stopping at Kill North Ionity and charge speed maxed out at 90kw and quickly trickled back to 70kw... In warmer weather I charged at nearly 200kw.

Adds an extra 15 mins to the stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

Does the range come back up again when the temp rises. Assuming you have 300km range the night before, and you sit in on a cold morning and now have 250km, but only drive 50km, would it be back up to 250km in the afternoon for the drive home, or am I completely not getting this. (I understand the Chemistry bit, so spare me the electron chat!!)

Sometimes when the BMS detects the cold battery it will show the range based on a portion of the battery so yes, technically the range will come back. But, not to the extent that you’ve described.

You wouldn’t loose 50km from the displayed range in my experience.

Sometimes I’ve noticed a 2/3% loss over a cold night and it creeps up as you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

What kind of range are guys with the m50 version getting?

No major loss in the range.

Just a slower DC charge.

Seems like the above slow charge was actually my fault for not using the inbuilt day nav for specifying Ionity as the destination.

Similar drive today, Dublin to Cork stopping at Cashel and I tried setting Ionity as the destination 15 mins before I got there.

Similar journey, similar temperature, very different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

Was looking at another I4 forum and apparently the ability to manually precondition the battery will be an option with the next software update. Some guy complained to BMW while driving in Austria at his Ionity speed

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

This is odd considering that on the iX3 (Idrive 7) there is an option to manually preheat the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

surely you would have been driving for long enough regardless not to need force a preheat of the battery?

i have used that ionity going from Dublin to Kerry in an etron without using the sat nav and i always got near enough max speed?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Yup, different car. Battery chemistry, cooling setup etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I stand by the fact that apart from wheel size there's not going to be any difference in range between the standard and m50 versions. The biggest factor is the user. I'm looking at mine here and at 33% its giving me 108km. That's about right, maybe slightly optimistic in terms of what I see in general.

😁

Ah God love ye, 90 Kw, my heart breaks for you.......Not. 😂

Haven't yet seen more than 60 Kw on Ionity in my Id3 tour 5 plugging in at around 20-30% and haven't got more than 50 Kw from ESB so called high power charger, same battery temp which was low, around 12 deg C each time, this is the real issue, the tour 5 has the ability to preheat the battery it just won't and I expect VW will never allow it preheat for fast charging, they might fear more battery degradation with higher temps and it might be counterproductive if the cooling system can't keep up with the heat having to then throttle the charge current.

What's the charge curve like on the i4, not great on the id3, for an 82 Kwh battery I was expecting better, in fact, after a year I'm carrying around 82 Kwh of battery having access to only 68 Kwh and that p1sses me off because when new it's advertised as having 77 Kwh but in reality you only have 73.5 max and after the year and 47,500 Kms I have 68 Kwh available now, carrying around 82 Kwh is expensive having access to 68 Kwh is disappointing. Not really concerned about having a massive dead weight buffer to be honest.

Still, I have got 300 Kms on a charge and had 80-90 Kms on the Gom and that's travelling at decent speed and not so warm temps but wish I could get 600 km per charge lol. Lucky fast charges are rare. Prob with the recent cold I would get less.

What's the range of the i4 ?

187 Kw at 37% impressive, how long does that last ? wish my id3 could even do 100 Kw I keep dreaming but rarely fast charge to be honest, avoided bringing it to Galway 2 weekends ago because of the slow charging and disgraceful charging network so tool the Outlander diesel, have to say it was nice to get from Carlow - 12 kms past Galway-next day drive through Connemeara and back to Galway, bit od driving around the city and back to guest house and back home next day and still some diesel in the tank and the Outlander is a thirsty car, be nice someday to do all that on one charge in an EV, maybe in 20 years.

The Rex in the i3 94Ah was great though, 100% freedom from chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What is the realistic summer/winter ranger of the i4? I’m guessing 400 and 300 respectively.

Stay Free

Not very long TBF, was at that for maybe 10% of total battery and then trickled downwards. I think I disconnected around 80% and at that point it had dropped to 70Kw charge speed.

Few questions on range.

Mine is eDrive40 on 19s.

I've found range to be around 350km at motorway speeds in winter, 400 or a little more in summer.

Doing 80-100km per hour and driving conservatively I've seen obtained 500km on a charge.

Good example after driving Cork - Killarney a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

You'll get decent economy on those roads alright.

What "usable" Kwh has the i4 again ?

Advertisement