Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Nice car but a lazy effort, the irony is that a flat floor would make the cramped rear space a bit more useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Same lad is tight in the back of a Model S aswell. Worth pointing out he’s 6.2 or 6.3

Not sure how much space you’re expecting in the back of a mid size GC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭sk8board

I have the current 4gc for 2 adults and 2 kids for a few years now (both no longer in child seats) and it’s the best family car for our situation that I’ve ever owned, bar none. I genuinely haven’t found something I’d replace it with, until perhaps this i4 40.

the tunnel isn’t an issue in the current GC as the middle seat is a temporary/short journey seat at best, so I don’t personally view this new i4 in any different light.

If you have babies, 3 teenagers, or need to take adults on long journeys, it’s simply not the niche model for you - there’s so many options now, why would this car try to cater to every situation?

I'm just disappointed that they came so close to the wrong side of the grant cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Joe Achiles I4 M50 review. Joe is the world biggest BMW fanboi, and I generally trust his opinions.

He absolutely hates EVs though :) This should be interesting. I’m not expecting a positive review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Fairly negative review from him but as you said it was kinda expected. Still it does question your decision if you are buying the right car! I still think I am!

Given I’ve been told it will be 2023 when it comes, there should be plenty of time to decide and who knows by that time what else will come out that may be better. Also the 2nd hand Taycans will also come into a similar price range to the i4. Although I think I’m too young yet to drive a Porsche 😂

Ah I dont think Joe is a EV hater, he just is more of a driving dynamics reviewer than a practicality reviewer.

I have driven so many cars where I have wondered why reviewers never mentioned big problems or the opposite where big problems they mentioned were simply not an issue (to me). This is the problem, ordering cars you have never driven is a gamble/ Hopefully some demo versions will appear for test drives and then buyers can make up their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

I'm not so sure about used Taycans being i4 money within that time, we just got all our money back on a 9 month old ID4. The delays in deliveries for new cars is having a huge impact on used cars. It'll likely be 3 years before a used Taycan is i4 money unfortunately.

Post edited by v10 on

For sure. You’re looking for a €110-120k EV to come down to €65-70k. 3 years sounds about right, simply because if they were €65k we’d all have one 😏. The demand will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I’m looking at the Taycan to come to around €90k, similar price to the i4 m50 I’ve ordered. I don’t think it’s that far off. The Taycan is out over a year now and in another year I’m hoping we will see it come around the €90k mark.

• Advertisement

You might see a 202 Taycan 4s round 90k in a year or two, but chances are a price increase will shield values. Porsche doesn't loose money that fast. At the moment even 202 with high mileage launch cars are only loosing around 15k off RRP. All EV's are in super high demand. And taycan orders now are delivery this time next year. In 2023 would you really buy a new "your spec" I4 as against a 4 year old Taycan in somebody elses spec?...I wouldnt, I would just bite the bullet now and order the taycan and get the extra dosh from somewhere in the mean time. If you are frugal with the options you will get a Taycan 4s with performance battery new for around 115k....buying these new actually makes sense at the moment, the EV market is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Agree. You probably will not find the spec you want on a 2nd hand one. I configured a brown on brown cross turismo with some subtle options but the likelihood of one similar coming to market 2nd hand is slim. It’s the one car that I would bite the bullet and buy new.

You can really configure a lot of exterior elements that it’s becomes practically a one off. Maybe that’s how Porsche reels one in,

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Just on the Taycan, dream car for me would be the new Sport Turismo GTS.

Back to the i4, CompleteCar.ie eDrive40 review - https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/BMW/4_Series/i4_eDrive40_(2022)/1926/11380/2021-BMW-i4-eDrive40-(2022)-review.html

dan prosser reviewed the i4 40 for Pistonheads and had a very similar conclusion, that it’s the one to have - he also said it’s the first ev he’s driven that made him think that an ev sportscar will be possible in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Sure it’s the better value option of both so reviewers will always claim that’s the one to have, just like in the past they’d say the 2.0 diesel variant was the one to have. I’ve never seen a reviewer claim a 440i/340i etc was the one to have after reviewing previous models either so no surprises from me that the edrive 40 is the one they recommend with the i4. They’re probably right in many respects, most people have no use or need for the extra power.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Any orders placed now will probably be 2023 delivery, except for cancellations - got this from my dealer yesterday.

Its selling well.

Worth keeping in mind the numbers available are fairly limited. I know each dealership in the country is limited to just 2 M50s for the whole of 2022, each dealership is only getting an allocation of 6/7 cars across both models. Only 13 dealerships in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Yep @UhOh , small numbers indeed. They have a lot of 2023 orders on the books already too.

@carsfan2 , I think its for all models.

I had been thinking of one of these to replace my 330e. Residuals should be excellent if there are so few of them in the country. Looking like I would need to order early next year if I want one in 2023. Crazy times!

have you ordered one?

• Advertisement

Nope, I’m considering an iX.

Id like the 50 model, but 26k extra. The 40 might have to do. I have a 530e now, so the i4 would probably feel a good bit smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

I ordered the i4 eDrive 40 two days ago, delivery expected in July. I think it was that dealers last allocation, but there could be a few left if you call around the dealers.

interesting video. In dutch but shows the car in black and tanzanite.

Impressive off the line.

A few of the reviews are saying the 40 model is the better choice of the two models.

You always get this with reviews where reviewers tell you the "base" model is the one to have. Its never true, its just confirmation bias. Base 911 is the best...me arse, base Taycan is the best...I can assure you it is not. The m240i is all you need, not its not the m2 is far better. If you can stretch get the 50 model its going to be better and you will have spent a lot on the 40 and feel you let something on the table if you dont. However if you cannot streach that far I am sure you are getting a fine car in the 40, but the 50 will be superior.

I spec’d the 40 & the 50 before I ordered. There’s a lot of standard equipment on the 50 that is optional extra on the 40. Once I had both spec’d to my liking the difference was only about €5-6k. It was an easy enough decision to go with the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Seeing this image of a real RHD production car has rung alarm bells for me. I currently drive a 330e. It has the usual petrol filler cap on the right and a charging flap on the left, where you need it if you are to use kerbside charging stations where you parallel park (unless you make an effort to pull up facing the wrong way).

Now look at the first image - a flap, which on a pure EV must be the charging flap, is on the right hand side. That will be fine for home charging, rapid charging and any perpendicular-parked chargers, but for casual kerbside charging it will be a pain in the hole. This made me curious, and I checked out a German Youtube review of my own car. Turns out that LHD PHEV models also have the charging flap on the left, which seems very impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed. We have 100 years experience of charging / filling an ICE car up on the left rear side. That works perfectly fine for EVs too. I have no idea why some retards decided we should change this best practice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..because the driver exits on RHS of car so it’s a shorter “walk” is the apparent logic

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You would do very little casual kerbside charging in a full EV v your 330 e though. There won't be any point.

Advertisement