Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fakedel

There is an update available 2022/11 to fix the online store but it can only be installed by the dealer. It's available now so maybe contact your dealer to arrange installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Yeah read up on that. I think they are going to roll it out over the air this month. Apparently they wait a few months before sending the updates out over the air.

Im happy to wait a few weeks and see if it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Dealer will charge for the update in some cases AFAIK.

I expect to be handing mine back in March. Did not get a single software update in the car I've had since April which is surprising. No point in worrying about it now when it'll be going back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

23 i4’s up on Carzone now. Supply is obviously improving a lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Lots of cancellations following people getting up to date trade in prices on top of the price increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Or been forced to register 3 weeks before the new year !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Never! A premium brand wouldn’t do that to their customers….would they! 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

Delivery of E 40 end of next week I’m told. It’s in the country. Dropped the dealer a mail to ensure the software update to 11/22 is already on it, as I’ll be purchasing (begrudgingly) adaptive cruise control and auto dip lights. My understanding is BMW connect doesn’t work unless it has that version.

I didn’t go for any of the extra packs, but does digital key come as standard? Do you need to upgrade to get it into your apple wallet?

Harry Metcalfe's most disappointing car in 2022 was the BMW i4 m50. He is one of the you tube reviewers I rate the most but hope he has got this one wrong...

Snap!

Got a call from a UK number this morning and just ignored it.

Googled it later and turns out it was this company that seems to provide customer service and retention type services for companies…I see BMW use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Any idea how long you were at status code 190 until delivery?

Mine was at least 6 weeks from 190 until at dealers. Can’t remember exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

I don’t know about 190, I was 102 mid Nov and the HK sound system moved me to 101 (or vice versa) and it was in the country last week. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Surprised that vid is not getting more traction here. I was supprised to hear him say that about the m50i, his video review was far less negative. However I think he was coming at it from a sports car point of view, so maybe more false advertising than anything else. Still Harry is the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'd say that brief summary was exactly right.....especially at the current prices being asked.....not to mention the increases and the extras you need to purchase/rent after.

Stay Free

I felt in his review he approached the car as an electric M3 which it most definitely not.

In the UK it is priced close enough to the M3 where here thanks to our vrt and taxation system they’re not even close. In a world where they’re closely priced you’d have M3 or even save a few bob and m340i would be a much nicer buy. In Ireland it’s hard to make a financial case for a petrol car now.

His summary however in that year end video was withering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You don’t need to rent anything , just spec it when you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A while since I saw that, but from what I remember he expected a true successor to the BMW M4? And the i4 M50 is not that, even if BMW would like to make us believe it is. The car is fast, but simply to heavy to have the agility of the M ICE cars that went before it. Does that sum it up?

Metcalfe is still well and truly stuck with one and a half leg into the olden days though. He finds it difficult to embrace change / the permanent and irreversible move from internal combustion engines to pure battery electric. This resistance to change is only natural in humans and his age doesn't help there either

On the first paragraph thats about it, although he also said the steering was very numb and the handling was not great. Also he was getting shocking range.

On the second paragraph thats unfair on Harry, he has reviewed a lot of EV's and is very keen to see them work. His Taycan reviews are very good and hard to disagree with, and he even retested on when the infrastructure was better. He is also a great fan of PHEV in sports cars like the new Ferrari (he reviews sports cars so dont expect he has much in the way of ID4 reviews etc). I think for his age he is doing brilliantly and he has decades of experiance in the motor industry and giving motoring enthusiasts good content online on on EVO magazine. He would not have the same interests and concerns as your daily commuter Whatcar review or carwow stick of truth type review. His Model 3 review was very fair also and very positive. I suppose he was given a performance BMW EV and reviewed it from that point of view.

Depends on how long you plan on keeping it. At say 30 quid a month for a 1300 euro option (personal experiance on that one for comfort access), you would need to keep the car for 4 years to recoup the initial cost. If you sell before that you loose money as any feature on demand will not be a selling feature really. So long as the pricing is good I think FOD is a good idea....making these standard on expensive cars is an even better idea but such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't disagree with any of that @Fitz II and yes he has come around to BEVs quite a bit in the last couple of years but in my memory he was a major reluctant sceptic before then, dismissing them with cliches rather than having an open mind.

I guess we were all like that about EVs going back to some point 😂

Harry’s not anti ev/phev at all I don’t think. He was very positive about the Volkswagen id Buzz lately and loved the BMW X5 45e which he ran for a good few months.

The i4 just didn’t do it for him at all.

They seem to agree with Metcalf...but as usual give a wishy washy 5th gear review.....its the worst car show going really, and Plato and Chandhok are seriously proper drivers too.

Is the car heavy, absolutely but it also has enough power to mask that imo.

The range complaining doesn't mean 💩 in real life scenarios, like who in the f gets a review car for a few days and drives it like miss Daisy? 20" wheels kill range even further but real people doing real driving are getting way more than expected on the M50 so fingers crossed.

Couldn't care less about what other people think about the car, I know it works for me and my setup and that's enough.

Wish it didn't take 6 weeks from Germany to Ireland, Artemis 1 went to the moon and back in 🤬 25 days, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I agree with you on the subscription model my point is you can still spec the extra as new if you want no one is forcing anyone to rent extras , Audi have been doing it for a few years you also get to trial stuff which is good.

It's actually not a bad idea IF BMW don't just add the price of the tech onto the car at purchase time anyway, so you pay for it twice so to speak.

Though I can't see them put in a HUD and then just chancing that they will make the money back on it if a few suckers buy a few subscriptions over the lifetime of the car.

I'd say put all the options on the car, buy none and get the hackers on the job to enable all the toys 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

How did you add it to the app before you actually have the car? Thought that was reserved for US buyers?

I remember when waiting for mine you couldn't add to the app until you confirmed the message/code inside the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is the issue that the i4 M50 isn't a track weapon like an M4 or just that it isn't sporty enough over a normal i4? The M4 is €144,000 here, I think it's ok that it's not a track weapon, but if it's not much better to drive over the i4 that's fair enough.

Is Ireland the only country where ICE is ludicrously expensive? Reviewers often seem to nitpick EVs but the price here isn't even close. The Taycan for example is €50,000 less than the Panamera. Without even looking at performance or spec I wouldn't expect it to be as quick or sharp handling for that price but understandable if prices are similar in other territories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The price with the tech is going to be higher even if not activated. BMW are at the very least covering the cost of the add-ons in the base price and are then milking it when customers purchase or rent the ability to use the tech. I'd expect to have all the extras activated at the base price which is premium enough before you want heated seats.

Stay Free

Advertisement