Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The 35 will outsell any more expensive version in a functioning market where supply is at normal levels. Once range is comparable to models higher up food chain. They're right to launch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Lol, if you go to the configurator the base e35 model is cloth seats. Leather is extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

So the i4 35 has similar specs to a Model 3 RWD with 350-400km range ( optimistic) & 0-100km in 6.0 secs, RWD, cloth seats but around €17K more expensive i suppose its really down to whether you value the BMW badge. Bit of a mistake by BMW to price it over the grant limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

That’s the case for all i4 models except the m50. It’s a mix of artificial leather and fabric. I’ve seen it in dealer cars and it’s very nice in reality.

A 35 sports with a couple of options would be a nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Real leather in cars going the way of the dodo and the dinosaurs anyway.

Theres plenty of ways to classily upholster a car interior these days without leather. Nice contrasting materials just as good, only downside is its not as easy to clean. I miss the handiness of just wiping down leather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Clloth seats imo are a bonus🤣. I am old enough Just To remember when cloth were an extra over vinyl. 👍

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I remember I took a 320d ES as trade in for a car a few years back. ES = Not a nice cabin to sit in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Max 180kw charging too, but probably due to smaller battery, not that any of them can sustain that for more than a few minutes anyway.

180kw charging won’t be an issue IMO. My current car can charge at 250kw. Hasn’t seen more than 11kw 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That's exactly what you should do. Let the garage have it repaired to their satisfaction. Were it discovered you had it repaired without their knowledge, it might have resulted in a whole new saga. This way, they get to have the car made perfect again and that could mean any damaged parts are replaced with new.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Haven't been able to update software remotely and now I have a recall notice via the app. It's a software fix apparently but I can't do it due to the previous issue.

My friends three week old i4 has died and had to be transported away. It wouldn’t go at all. Failure of the onboard charger they’re saying. Needs to be replaced and no parts available. He’s livid!

Similar to the other posters problem?

Car was off the road for over 100 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"Premium" build quality.

My wife has a 21 8 series. Just before Christmas it wouldn't start. Not a kick from anything. Had to be towed away from her work.

To be fair to BMW they serviced it for free before they returned it.

Can’t remember what the problem was to the other poster. It’s not good enough though.

bmw want the loaner they gave him back and to put him in a diesel hire car while he waits for the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If he didn't sign anything on the EV loaner he got, I would tell them I'll bring it back the second my own car is fixed. That might spur them on a bit.

A diesel loaner is horrific, but I suppose they pay for all his fuel? Tesla do, all their loaners have free supercharging.

I booked in my online test drive for the i4 about a year ago. Haven't heard back (I didn't bother following it up). When I booked in my online test drive for Model Y recently, I could book a slot for that same day despite the place being extremely busy with test drives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Premium build quality are reliability are two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

One would expect reasonable reliability if the car was truly premium build quality. When shelling out the guts of 70 or 80k, you expect a car to work, or be fixed very quickly. I'd be looking for a refund if the dealership tried fobbing me off with a diesel loaner. Terrible service.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

You do get reasonable reliability though, a few posts online about broken cars doesn’t mean bad reliability, you do realise BMW sell millions of cars every year. How many do you read about having a problem, a couple? a couple of dozen? people generally don’t go online to say their car hasn’t broken down so obviously you only hear the negative stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

To be fair, first generation of any vehicle nobody should expect it to be hassle free. Always gonna be some issues, especially in an EV.

The dealer experience is a separate issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Didn't think you need an appointment to test drive an i4. Just turn up at your local dealership was my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Back then it was internet booking only. That was when the first few i4 were first in the country. But yeah thanks for the tip, I'll just rock up to Frank Keane one of these days and ask for an ad hoc test drive.

Joe Duffy had 1 i4 demo since launch. And it was the daily car for one of the service managers. I spent months requesting test drives and some of the excuse were, he didn’t leave the keys here. Joke of a place!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I feel like dealers of all brands need a shake up. I've had poor experiences with pretty much all dealers with sales and servicing.

Dealers can be really inconsistent. Once I showed up to a scheduled test drive to be told the car wasn't there, meanwhile my local Cupra dealer gives me the keys to go off in a 300hp hot hatch by myself and again last year in their Born when they just got it. My local VW told me I had to pay for a loaner while my car was in for warranty work until they found out I had a service plan, not that it should make a difference. Meanwhile Joe Duffy said I could take whatever I wanted outside once I replaced the fuel and transferred insurance. They didn't have any automatics but dropped me home 30 minutes away.

If I was looking at a BMW I honestly wouldn't expect anything but the same crappy service.

Like with anything made by man, I would never ever expect it to work 100% of the time so it only makes sense stuff fails, regardless of price (i.e. the i4/ix battery recalls due to dodgy Samsung cells)

Can be unlucky and it happens to you but the main issue is the poor after sales service, typical salesman BS though, they're your best friend until you sign the docs and when you drive out you are forgotten.

I specced 4 new BMWs from FK over the years and never had any major issues myself, probably had another 5-6 used BMWs before that, mix of petrol/diesel, never had anything major with them either but I also looked after all of them and serviced them properly.

I have a pair of PPF cutouts for the i4 headlights that I don't need as I went with that and more ppf stuff when I got the car detailed/coated.

€50 is what I paid for it (well actually more with the shaft from customs) if anyone is interested PM me.

Any takers?

Doesn't seem to be anything useful in it, something about carplay blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Is there any way to see the maximum capacity of your battery? Same way you can on iPhone.

Surely this is something that should be visible to consumers on all electric cars.

Just thinking how would you actually know if it had dropped below the 60/70% within 8 years of battery warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Aviloo, Bjorn has tested it on Youtube. Has TUV approval etc.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how long after the car is built, it takes to arrive at the dealer?

thinking shouldn’t be more than 3/4 weeks?

Advertisement