Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to build

Options
  • 17-03-2021 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi,

my son has this from last year;

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2CFB3t

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£169.40 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£72.97 @ Laptops Direct)
    Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO GAMING Video Card
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£54.99 @ Box Limited)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£45.46 @ Amazon UK)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £509.77
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-17 20:51 GMT+0000

What video card (if I can find one) could I put into this build??

Or could I do better elsewhere?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

or with the issues finding cards, would this be worth 550??

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-built-gaming-pc/23170498

thanks for reading

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

tinner777 wrote: »
    or with the issues finding cards, would this be worth 550??

https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/custom-built-gaming-pc/23170498

thanks for reading

That's 9 year old junk.

My current build is this;

UserBenchmarks: Game 39%, Desk 79%, Work 32%
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 - 74.8%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 49%
    SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB - 54.9%
    HDD: WD Blue 4TB (2015) - 93.9%
    RAM: Crucial BLS8G3D1609DS1S00. 2x8GB - 51%
    MBD: Ergouk ERGOPC

The video card keeps on crashing on playing games, I've researched and done all recommendations. So, I am being led to believe that the video card is breaking??

Spear wrote: »
    That's 9 year old junk.

lol, added four days ago :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'm not sure that (with the 4GB 970) is really worth €150 never mind €550! It's certainly total garbage compared to your son's build from last year.

Your son's PC should be doing ok? I'd have guessed a bigger disk would have been most likely to be first thing on the agenda.

If you give a clue of the monitor (resolution and refresh rate) and games they are struggling with (I presume that's the reason to want to upgrade) you could get a clue what sort of card would be a worthwhile upgrade though actually getting one is another matter, you would have to get very lucky or pay way over the odds and then try and sell the 2060 KO for stupid money to dull the pain.

• Advertisement

Sorry, should of been a bit clearer, I'm looking to buy something for myself, replacing this;

Again, thanks for reading

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My current build is this;

The video card keeps on crashing on playing games, I've researched and done all recommendations. So, I am being led to believe that the video card is breaking??

How is this crashing manifesting? Is the screen going black, or just freezing, or are you seeing artifacts/corruption?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Well it's garbage compared to that build also ;)

Have you tried to use DDU to remove the video drivers and reinstall the newest cleanly (or if had the latest before and that doesn't work I'd try the last version also just in case)? Presuming you can't sort it out then you could go to Dell (warehouse can have interesting things) or else find a graphics card first somehow and then get the rest.

How is this crashing manifesting? Is the screen going black, or just freezing, or are you seeing artifacts/corruption?

screen goes black, i can hear game in background and then crashes, in windows event viewer;

Nvlddmkm.sys

Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.

The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0xe0464645, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970)

The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0xe0464645, Restart count: 1, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970)

screen goes black, i can hear game in background and then crashes, in windows event viewer;

Nvlddmkm.sys

Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.

That doesn't immediately equate to failing hardware. Try minitrue's advice about using DDU above first.

• Advertisement

Thanks will try again tomorrow and get back to you

minitrue wrote: »
    Well it's garbage compared to that build also ;)

Have you tried to use DDU to remove the video drivers and reinstall the newest cleanly (or if had the latest before and that doesn't work I'd try the last version also just in case)? Presuming you can't sort it out then you could go to Dell (warehouse can have interesting things) or else find a graphics card first somehow and then get the rest.
    That doesn't immediately equate to failing hardware. Try minitrue's advice about using DDU above first.

:D fixed, thanks

Advertisement