Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do i claim a presumed abandoned bicycle l in Dublin city

• 17-03-2021 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have seen an old bicycle that I would like to restore looking abandoned while locked to a post in an un-useable state. Does anybody know how I can claim this bike?
    This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

read more wrote: »
    I have seen an old bicycle that I would like to restore looking abandoned while locked to a post in an un-useable state. Does anybody know how I can claim this bike?
    This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

You can't, you'd be stealing someone's bike. Look on the free section of the selling sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The fact that it's locked to the post suggests that it's not abandoned. Who secures their abandoned property?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Surely the council etc cut these away after a while when they reach a certain stage of a wreck?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Bolt cutters or wireless grinder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Surely the council etc cut these away after a while when they reach a certain stage of a wreck?
    i suspect they do; i know trinity college at one point were tagging bikes and cutting them loose if they hadn't been moved in X months, but they were giving them to Rothar rather than to any general joe who liked the look of them.

it'd be harder for the council to do that tag and monitor system though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The fact that it's locked to the post suggests that it's not abandoned. Who secures their abandoned property?

A better question might be "who abandons their secured property?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

people forget where they've locked their bikes, or they move address or leave the country and they just don't care. Cheap bikes are practically disposable. The city centre is full of abandoned wrecks, i think the council periodically removes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Watch out OP maybe its a Honey Trap to catch bike thieves :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

What bike is it? Is it particularly desirable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

The only legal way to get it is to bring it to you're local Garda station as lost property and if it's not claimed after IIRC 3 months you can claim it. Getting the lock off and bringing it to the station would be illegal as you'd have stolen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 read more

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only legal way to get it is to bring it to you're local Garda station as lost property and if it's not claimed after IIRC 3 months you can claim it. Getting the lock off and bringing it to the station would be illegal as you'd have stolen it.

Thanks for that, and thanks for all the ideas so far. its an 1989 mountain bike, it is desirable to me.. Its been in the same position for a few months now near O'Connell bridge. it has a broken rear derailleur, rust is starting to show. and I flimsy lock chain.
    yep, I would look well dodgy with my bolt cutter in city centre that is why I'm trying to find a honest way to claim it or buy it from the owner if that person is around.
    but my gut feeling is that it is abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for that, and thanks for all the ideas so far. its an 1989 mountain bike, it is desirable to me.. Its been in the same position for a few months now near O'Connell bridge. it has a broken rear derailleur, rust is starting to show. and I flimsy lock chain.
    yep, I would look well dodgy with my bolt cutter in city centre that is why I'm trying to find a honest way to claim it or buy it from the owner if that person is around.

Go up to pearse St Station and have a chat with one of the guys on the counter. See what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Throw on a hi vis, be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Persons probably back home under 5k restrictions & you want to justify nicking their bike. Sickening scumbag thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

its an 1989 mountain bike, it is desirable to me..]

How do you know its an 1989?

Throw on a hi vis, be grand

That'd be my approach. If the bike is obviously abandoned, then just take it. No one will care.

If you felt like there was any chance at all that someone is actually using it, sellotape a note to it somewhere (not obvious, like the underside of the pedal or something). If the note is still there a week later, you know no one has touched it.

Or put your own lock on it with your number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Put a note on ut for a week and then take it. If it's in as bad a state as you say I'd assume it's abandoned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Put a note on ut for a week and then take it. If it's in as bad a state as you say I'd assume it's abandoned

Except the entire country is under restrictions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yeah you could put your own lock on it....then come back and cut the other lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

km991148 wrote: »
    Except the entire country is under restrictions??

The fact the derailleur is broken etc leads me to believe its abandoned... Even during restrictions nobody would leave a bike outside for months on end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

How do you know its an 1989?
    bikes are usually only available in one colour, which often changes year to year, so it's usually possible to date them more easily than you would with a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The fact the derailleur is broken etc leads me to believe its abandoned... Even during restrictions nobody would leave a bike outside for months on end

some people would have an old bike they leave in the city centre for when they're at work. Those people might not have been into town in a year (I haven't).

(having said that, it's probably abandoned, but these aren't normal times).

Sorry, missed that.

It probably is abandoned of course, and it's probably illegal to take action, which means it will probably end up scrapped.

Good luck tho!

loyatemu wrote: »
    some people would have an old bike they leave in the city centre for when they're at work. Those people might not have been into town in a year (I haven't).
    yeah, there is the possibility that someone has simply not called into town to pick up a bike they know is there (a 30 year old bike, so very low financial value) because of the restrictions, and it has been vandalised within that year.

i don't see any way around it, taking the bike by means of bolt cutters/angle grinder, is theft.
    if you want a project, you could probably pick up a bike like that for 50 or 100 quid. if the choice is either 'spend the 50 quid' or 'possibly be guilty of stealing someone's bike', that's a choice i know which option i'd take.

Well is it reasonable to leave a bike lying around the city for a year, taking up bike rack space which is often at a premium as most of us who cycle around the city know only too well?

Well is it reasonable to leave a bike lying around the city for a year, taking up bike rack space which is often at a premium as most of us who cycle around the city know only too well?

If you suspect a bike is abandoned contact the council and they'll deal with it. Anything else is theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eire392

Criminal damage to break the lock
    Theft to take the bike

Only correct way is to get the council to take it away.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you suspect a bike is abandoned contact the council and they'll deal with it. Anything else is theft.

I'm not saying he should steal the bike - what I am saying is that anyone who leaves a bike around the city and expects it to be still there over any period of time is being unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Same with a car near me, it was a 30 year old car abandoned by owner and nobody had claimed it for six months so I hot wired it and took it home. You shouldn't be able to expect to just leave a car when there's a shortage of space, I was doing the whole world a favor and I'm the protagonist in this tale.

Same with a car near me, it was a 30 year old car abandoned by owner and nobody had claimed it for six months so I hot wired it and took it home. You shouldn't be able to expect to just leave a car when there's a shortage of space, I was doing the whole world a favor and I'm the protagonist in this tale.

You wouldn't steal a car now, would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

km991148 wrote: »
    You wouldn't steal a car now, would you?

With that logic should I be worried that someone is going to nick my expensive keyboard thats been sat on my desk in work for the past year plugged into nothing?

With that logic should I be worried that someone is going to nick my expensive keyboard thats been sat on my desk in work for the past year plugged into nothing?

How do you know they haven't. I know when I was off sick for a while my fancy ergonomic keyboard was borrowed by someone in the office.

How do you know they haven't. I know when I was off sick for a while my fancy ergonomic keyboard was borrowed by someone in the office.

Maybe they have. Thankfully theres only about 5 people still in the office.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying he should steal the bike - what I am saying is that anyone who leaves a bike around the city and expects it to be still there over any period of time is being unreasonable.

Which is why you contact the correct people to remove it if you suspect it's abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There was a car abo so we near where I live a few years ago and I regret not doing that. It was in a fairly good state. Of course by the time I decided I was going to do it it had been taken away unfortunatly. Sad part is it was probably scrapped and in another 10 years it would have been a classic.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

As for the bike I say dress up as a council officer in a weeks time if as someone else said your note on it has not been noticed and take the bike home. Wear a mask to hide your face too incase there are camera's and they think your steeling it lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

is it *your* keyboard though?
    thankfully those days are behind me, but i used to spend a depressing amount of time telling employees that 'their' laptops did not belong to them, and that yes, i could do things to their laptops they didn't like.

is it *your* keyboard though?
    thankfully those days are behind me, but i used to spend a depressing amount of time telling employees that 'their' laptops did not belong to them, and that yes, i could do things to their laptops they didn't like.

I bought it myself because I wanted an ergonomic keyboard. Everyone in the office then wanted one.

As for the OP my plan would be clipboard and bolt croppers. Nothing looks more official than a clipboard. Then there is the added feature that jobs worths, opinion pollers and bloggers use clipboards so people tend to keep clear of anyone with a clipboard.

• Advertisement

A week from now the OP will be back; "So lads, anyone know of a good solicitor?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I bought my bike in London from a shop who had the contract to snip abandoned bikes in my area. You got notice frost with a tag from the council warning of impending removal

as mentioned, if you want a project, pick one up on adverts or donedeal and do that up. i did it, was good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Not commenting on the rights or wrongs of either case but it's a bit mad that someone can come in and squat in an "abandoned building" but a bike that is more than likely abandoned and sitting for a year plus is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I bought my bike in London from a shop who had the contract to snip abandoned bikes in my area. You got notice frost with a tag from the council warning of impending removal

Seems like a far better solution and better than the council that would probably scrap everything good or bad.

an interesting comparison but there are multiple factors in which they differ. the most obvious probably being that someone squatting in a building is utilising it but not actually stealing it.

OP,
    Contact Dublin city council, most likely the litter warden dept. and ask them exactly what happens with abandoned bicycles, if there is anyway to claim them etc.
    They may give you some good advice, considering they will be the ones removing it eventually.

Well I don't think its the same. Your keyboard isn't impacting anybody else who needs to use the desk nor is it in a public space.

Well I don't think its the same. Your keyboard isn't impacting anybody else who needs to use the desk nor is it in a public space.

The temptation is the same :o:D

The poster doesn't want the bike removed because he wants to clamp his bike to that spot. He wants the bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement