Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do i claim a presumed abandoned bicycle l in Dublin city

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The poster doesn't want the bike removed because he wants to clamp his bike to that spot. He wants the bike.

I know that - I'm just making the point that somebody can't expect to leave a bike in the city centre for months, hogging an at times valuable bike parking space, and expect it to be there months later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd agree with you there, with the obvious caveat that these are not normal times.
    but in the general course of affairs, this should be policed/administered by the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know that - I'm just making the point that somebody can't expect to leave a bike in the city centre for months, hogging an at times valuable bike parking space, and expect it to be there months later.

It's still someone's property and not breaking any law so why shouldn't it be there months later?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because there is a point at which parking a bike becomes abandonment.
    especially if taking up a resource other people could otherwise use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's still someone's property and not breaking any law so why shouldn't it be there months later?

Sometimes it is only bits of a bike left and clearly no longer a working vehicle.

Can you leave a burned out car parked up in town for months ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

They should be fined for littering.

Wake me up when it's all over.

because there is a point at which parking a bike becomes abandonment.
    especially if taking up a resource other people could otherwise use.

Currently there's no law that says that you have to remove your bike from a bike rack after x days, so until the law is changed they aren't doing anything wrong.
    They should be fined for littering.

You can't interfere with other peoples property in this county even if they are doing something illegal, this is how blocking transport infrastructure is dealt with in this county. What can be done with a legally parked bicycle?

You can't interfere with other peoples property in this county even if they are doing something illegal, this is how blocking transport infrastructure is dealt with in this county. What can be done with a legally parked bicycle?

I was hoping for a link that justified your point but you failed. A rusty bike chained to a post cannot be compared to anything parked on the road blocking our transport infrastructure.

Maybe if I want to dump a sofa I can get away with it if I chain it to a post in Dublin. But its OK I won't get upset if you sit on it.

Anyone expecting to leave their property chained to a post for months on end and expect it to still be there are chancers. They are taking a chance and sometimes they are going to loose out.

Currently there's no law that says that you have to remove your bike from a bike rack after x days, so until the law is changed they aren't doing anything wrong.

Thats a parked fully operating car. We are talking about a stripped frame so the owner isnt gonna jump out of a shop and cycle it away.

As I asked earlier what happens to a burned out car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Just claim it's yours, who is going to dispute, nobody is going to come forward to claim it. Your over thinking it.

Housefree wrote: »
    Just claim it's yours, who is going to dispute, nobody is going to come forward to claim it. Your over thinking it.

Probably trying to avoid being caught by a Garda cutting locks off a bike in the middle of town

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Probably trying to avoid being caught by a Garda cutting locks off a bike in the middle of town

Just tell them that you had left it there so long that you lost the key or forgot the combination. You could try being creative and say you'd left it there for so long because you were looking for the key/combination and finally given up because you didn't want to leave an eyesore littering the streets any longer. :)

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Thats a parked fully operating car. We are talking about a stripped frame so the owner isnt gonna jump out of a shop and cycle it away.

As I asked earlier what happens to a burned out car

A burnt out car is a danger so can be removed.

We've had several cars abandoned in our complex, wheels flat/broken windows, and it takes several months to get them moved. If a car is parked on a public street and it's taxed/insured/NCT then it can stay as long as it likes, provided there are no parking restrictions, so a bicycle legally parked can stay as long as it likes.

Just tell them that you had left it there so long that you lost the key or forgot the combination. You could try being creative and say you'd left it there for so long because you were looking for the key/combination and finally given up because you didn't want to leave an eyesore littering the streets any longer. :)

At which point the Gardai will seize the bike and tell you to produce evidence of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Melzea

Finders keepers loser weepers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Melzea wrote: »
    Finders keepers loser weepers

Shows the self entitled scumbag element mentality allright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Bring a scrote friend to stand guard at the corner while you take an angle grinder to the lock. 🙄

There may be all sorts of reasons the bike's there so long, can't be sure.

What is sure is that it isn't your bike. There's no moral ambiguity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

read more wrote: »
    I have seen an old bicycle that I would like to restore looking abandoned while locked to a post in an un-useable state. Does anybody know how I can claim this bike?
    This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps
    I have seen an old bicycle that I would like to steal looking abandoned while locked to a post in an un-useable state. Does anybody know how I can steal this bike?

As noted earlier, no moral dilemma here, it's theft.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

At which point the Gardai will seize the bike and tell you to produce evidence of ownership.

No he won't, probably take his details, either way nothing has happened, worst case scenario he has to turn up at the station and just claim the bike, saying he has no evidence. Worst case he doesn't get the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm really curious to see what this bike looks like- can you post a picture of it or a similar one OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Thanks for that, and thanks for all the ideas so far. its an 1989 mountain bike, it is desirable to me.. Its been in the same position for a few months now near O'Connell bridge. it has a broken rear derailleur, rust is starting to show. and I flimsy lock chain.
    yep, I would look well dodgy with my bolt cutter in city centre that is why I'm trying to find a honest way to claim it or buy it from the owner if that person is around.
    but my gut feeling is that it is abandoned.

I guess that anybody reading this who has an interest in mountain bikes will be on the look out for this bike if they think it's within their 5km!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

No they won't! There are places in the country where you can't leave your bike for a few hours without it being stolen and the Gardaí do little to nothing in this area because it's considered low value theft. When I was attending college in Dublin I witnessed a guy trying to steal my electric scooter from the "bike shed" which was permanently open. When he heard me coming through the gate, he apologised for knocking over my scooter. My mind doesn't work that way, so it didn't dawn on me that he was attempting to steal it until after he left on a real POS bike.

The public won't do anything either. I lost the key to my moped lock years ago and was parked across from the garden of remembrance. I called a few friends for help. One arrived with his dads bolt cutters. Nobody looked twice as he went to work on cutting the lock on a busy street in the capital.

Stay Free

No they won't! There are places in the country where you can't leave your bike for a few hours without it being stolen and the Gardaí do little to nothing in this area because it's considered low value theft. When I was attending college in Dublin I witnessed a guy trying to steal my electric scooter from the "bike shed" which was permanently open. When he heard me coming through the gate, he apologised for knocking over my scooter. My mind doesn't work that way, so it didn't dawn on me that he was attempting to steal it until after he left on a real POS bike.

The public won't do anything either. I lost the key to my moped lock years ago and was parked across from the garden of remembrance. I called a few friends for help. One arrived with his dads bolt cutters. Nobody looked twice as he went to work on cutting the lock on a busy street in the capital.

Took longer than expected but hardly surprising.

People are challenged and arrested stealing bikes every single day in Dublin 1 and 2. Both Pearse Street and Store Street Garda stations have no room left in their bike sheds because of the amount of bikes seized / recovered without owners coming forward. Thats after the thousands that are returned to owners.

Thats neither here nor there however. Simple reality, if a Garda sees you snipping a lock, they will intervene.

Some people will argue absolutely anything. Plenty of spare time on the hands of some here.

Take the bike.

Took longer than expected but hardly surprising.

People are challenged and arrested stealing bikes every single day in Dublin 1 and 2. Both Pearse Street and Store Street Garda stations have no room left in their bike sheds because of the amount of bikes seized / recovered without owners coming forward. Thats after the thousands that are returned to owners.

Thats neither here nor there however. Simple reality, if a Garda sees you snipping a lock, they will intervene.

Perhaps they are. All i've ever seen in D1 and 2 is a snipped lock, or a wheel locked to a rack/post/railing. With so many thefts happening in that part of Dublin, i'm sure a few are caught, but the frequency of occurrence suggests that the thief gets away the vast majority of the time. They don't care that hundreds of people can see them, or that there is CCTV recording their crime. They care so little, that they will literally steal bikes from outside the Garda stations. They know that even if they do get grabbed, a day in court with free legal aid and an unpaid €50 into the poor box is the worst case scenario.

I'm sure both time, space and poor management have something to do with the full sheds. Over time, more bikes were added. Space is limited. There is no information available to potential owners to see if their bike has been recovered. With a tiny chance it has been recovered, it's luck of the draw if you do phone the stations in the locality.

OP, the bike is abandoned. Go take it. Leave a note with your phone number or email strapped to the lock. If the owner stops by, they will know what it's for and you can give the bike back.

Stay Free

I love the way this is in the DIY section :D

Perhaps they are. All i've ever seen in D1 and 2 is a snipped lock, or a wheel locked to a rack/post/railing. With so many thefts happening in that part of Dublin, i'm sure a few are caught, but the frequency of occurrence suggests that the thief gets away the vast majority of the time. They don't care that hundreds of people can see them, or that there is CCTV recording their crime. They care so little, that they will literally steal bikes from outside the Garda stations. They know that even if they do get grabbed, a day in court with free legal aid and an unpaid €50 into the poor box is the worst case scenario.

I'm sure both time, space and poor management have something to do with the full sheds. Over time, more bikes were added. Space is limited. There is no information available to potential owners to see if their bike has been recovered. With a tiny chance it has been recovered, it's luck of the draw if you do phone the stations in the locality.

OP, the bike is abandoned. Go take it. Leave a note with your phone number or email strapped to the lock. If the owner stops by, they will know what it's for and you can give the bike back.

Right, so we agree that the Gardai do in fact investigate bike thefts and solve them sometimes.

Perhaps the number would go up if people knew serial numbers or even had more details than "My bike, its blue" but sadly many do not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The only legal way to get it is to bring it to you're local Garda station as lost property and if it's not claimed after IIRC 3 months you can claim it.

I found a bike outside my house last year, brought to the station, and was told a year and a day.

The actual owner walked into the station ten minutes after I'd left :(
    They were from the end of my road, and it was just nicked out of their back garden.

Effects wrote: »
    I found a bike outside my house last year, brought to the station, and was told a year and a day.

The actual owner walked into the station ten minutes after I'd left :(
    They were from the end of my road, and it was just nicked out of their back garden.

Jeez, You could have been blamed there. :(

It was 3 months but the AG directed that it must remain 1 year and 1 day so AGS reverted back

Right, so we agree that the Gardai do in fact investigate bike thefts and solve them sometimes.

Investigate? No!
    Stumble on someone thieving a bike occasionally? Perhaps.
    I've never known anyone who's had a bike stolen to be recovered by the Gardaí...even when CCTV evidence is available and they know who the thief is.
    Perhaps the number would go up if people knew serial numbers or even had more details than "My bike, its blue" but sadly many do not

Perhaps. The Gardaí would have to look at the serial number and do an owner search. I personally think it should be mandatory to register all bicycles to the owner when purchasing and the serial number should be located in multiple areas on the bike. I'd extend this to all personal transport on wheels, save for roller blades and skate boards.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Investigate? No!
    Stumble on someone thieving a bike occasionally? Perhaps.
    I've never known anyone who's had a bike stolen to be recovered by the Gardaí...even when CCTV evidence is available and they know who the thief is.

Can you not accept my word that it happens then? I have done it. I have sgneen colleagues do it. Crimes get investigated. No Garda station in the land allows a report to just sit idle anymore. Oh yeah, back in the day Im sure it did but those days are long gone. Prior to my arrival at least and Im 20 years in.
    Perhaps. The Gardaí would have to look at the serial number and do an owner search. I personally think it should be mandatory to register all bicycles to the owner when purchasing and the serial number should be located in multiple areas on the bike. I'd extend this to all personal transport on wheels, save for roller blades and skate boards.

I agree but also to add, how much more success would be had if every bike had the serial recorded and a Garda stops a known bike thief? Cars dont generally stay stolen for long for a reason. The current system however means that 'my bike, its blue' will never ever be solved unless caught in the act because its simple not possible to prove to a judge that its the same blue bike

Can you not accept my word that it happens then? I have done it. I have sgneen colleagues do it. Crimes get investigated. No Garda station in the land allows a report to just sit idle anymore. Oh yeah, back in the day Im sure it did but those days are long gone. Prior to my arrival at least and Im 20 years in.

With bike thefts in Dublin being about 20,000 per year and as high as 30,000 depending on the method of calculation, I will stand by my assertion that very little is done by the Gardaí on this. I will however take you at your word that you and some of your colleagues have tackled this problem. With an average of 55 bikes stolen per day in Dublin, i'd say those sheds would be stacked pretty high if even a small amount were recovered.
    I agree but also to add, how much more success would be had if every bike had the serial recorded and a Garda stops a known bike thief? Cars dont generally stay stolen for long for a reason. The current system however means that 'my bike, its blue' will never ever be solved unless caught in the act because its simple not possible to prove to a judge that its the same blue bike

I hear you. Compulsory registration and if someone is using a bike with no serial numbers, it's stolen property. Off to the court with free legal aid for him/her.

Stay Free

Compulsory registration? Only 1 in 3 dogs are registered so we'd end up with a repeat of that farce with bikes.

Compulsory registration? Only 1 in 3 dogs are registered so we'd end up with a repeat of that farce with bikes.

Any numpty can sell puppies, but bikes are by and large sold in bike shops, or toy stores. When I bought a bike in Halfords, they took my name, number and email. Wouldn't be hard to forward this info onto a registrar with the serial number. And those buying second hand should have the option to register to their name.

We are going a bit OT here though.

Stay Free

Don't get me wrong - I agree in theory, but there's just too many issues, e.g. if I bought a bike in the UK and wanted to sell it here, do I register it and then sell it?
    Also, are Gardai going to start stopping cyclists and checking the bike is registered?
    In theory yes, in practice I don't think it'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Either leave it alone, or steal it :)
    Don't pretend you're doing the city a favour

Don't get me wrong - I agree in theory, but there's just too many issues, e.g. if I bought a bike in the UK and wanted to sell it here, do I register it and then sell it?

Yes and yes.
    Also, are Gardai going to start stopping cyclists and checking the bike is registered?

If the bike has no serial, it should be assumed as stolen. If it has a serial and they suspect the bike was stolen, yeah, they should check. Apparently they currently have sheds full of recovered bikes. These bikes could be returned to their owners if they were registered

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hi OP, that's my bike and I'd be happy to sell it to you, just send me €50 on revolut or PayPal and you're free to take a hack-saw to my lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Jeez, You could have been blamed there. :(

It was 3 months but the AG directed that it must remain 1 year and 1 day so AGS reverted back

I spoke to neighbour across the road later that day, and he looked at his CCTV.
    The lad who robbed it was pushing two bikes up the back lane, then dropped one and cycled off on the other. So I think I would have been ok.

• Advertisement

Yes and yes.

If the bike has no serial, it should be assumed as stolen. If it has a serial and they suspect the bike was stolen, yeah, they should check. Apparently they currently have sheds full of recovered bikes. These bikes could be returned to their owners if they were registered

What if I brought a bike back from the UK (which I did), or the north? Or if I was Eastern European and brought my bike here? It might look exactly like a stolen bike but it might not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This bike is from the 80's, there is shag all.chance that 30 years later, anyone has proof of ownership.

What if I brought a bike back from the UK (which I did), or the north? Or if I was Eastern European and brought my bike here? It might look exactly like a stolen bike but it might not be.

Well to be fair, it's an idea, not a fully drafted proposal. I'm sure like everything else, there would be kinks to be worked out. Any bikes brought in could/should be registered and the same goes for Eastern Euros or Germans, or Italians bringing their bikes in temporarily. Any bike could be registered on a database by the user, but bikes sold here should be registered by the shop to the customer. The Garda sheds would be alot less full if they were only storing a few presumed stolen Eastern European bikes.

Stay Free

What do they do with cars? They register them. It's not hard.

You are making issues to avoid a situation that would greatly enhance bike security, the changed of getting then back and reduce the trade in stolen ones. Let's be honest, of people didn't buy, they're wouldn't be a market

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I have seen an old bicycle that I would like to restore looking abandoned while locked to a post in an un-useable state. Does anybody know how I can claim this bike?
    This is my first post.

Thanks in advance.

Who did it? Dublin did it...Dublin has kicked the sh*t out of the bike

The Garda sheds would be alot less full if they were only storing a few presumed stolen Eastern European bikes.

You realise they are only the ones not matched to owners and they are sold at auction after a year?

Considering there's hundreds sitting there any given day, in about a hundred Garda stations waiting for owners, the Gardai are making an effort.

I have never encountered a group that tries to shift blame as much as cyclists do. No lock, no serial number or even a model and probable not even a report but it's the fault of the Gardai for not getting the bike back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lads have you not noticed that the OP is taking the piss here. Opened an account just to post about an imaginary bike, posted 7 times only and hasnt been seen since. That was 5 days ago.

Then again, perhaps he's in the clink!

You realise they are only the ones not matched to owners and they are sold at auction after a year?

Considering there's hundreds sitting there any given day, in about a hundred Garda stations waiting for owners, the Gardai are making an effort.

I have never encountered a group that tries to shift blame as much as cyclists do. No lock, no serial number or even a model and probable not even a report but it's the fault of the Gardai for not getting the bike back.

Thankfully i'm not a cyclist. I couldn't deal with all the lycra :D

Stay Free

We need to be realistic here though. I have cycled my bikes in and out of the city for years. I hardly ever left one overnight and while I wouldn't leave my good bike there for an hour unattended, I don't think Gardai have the resources to initiate some fancy registration system.
    They do make an effort too - they have ran events where they will engrave a mobile number etc on your bike. I got mine done at such an event a couple of years ago.
    Beyond that, I think they have enough to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

most bikes being ridden around Dublin are worth less than €200, a mandatory registration system would be overkill and not workable for such low-value items.

In Greystones (and I'm sure other places along the Dart), a lot of bikes are being stolen from around the Dart station - scumbags (the same few guys probably) are coming out on the Dart, stealing a few bikes then getting back on the Dart to go back to wherever they crawled out of. You'd think this would be fairly straightforward for the guards to follow up on seeing as there's CCTV in every Dart station and on the trains themselves...

My point is proven.

"Registration? Nah not for me, too much hassle. Gardai should be able to identify my blue bike from black and white CCTV and know every criminal in the country"

Anyway, op has vanished and cyclists will be cyclists

• Advertisement
Advertisement