Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka T3X Lite

Options
  • 18-03-2021 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about changing my CZ527 in .223 to a Tikka T3X

Nothing really wrong with the CZ except maybe that the barrel is too long and it feels a bit front heavy with the mod fitted,but it is just an itch that I need to scratch.
    I have handled the Tikka and it is a beautiful rifle, well balanced, smooth bolt, lovely trigger. ( don't like the colour on the cerakote version)
    I'd be looking at the "Lite" version as the Varmint is just too heavy to be lugging around for up to 8-10k at a go.
    My RFD has assured me that he will put me in the way of a good S/H one, once he can get he's hands on one( he has nothing, either new or S/H at the moment and he's not sure when he will be able to get them.Brexit is creating major problems for him)
    My questions are;
    Should I go new for the sake of about €400 extra
    Is the stainless barrell worth the extra €300 or so.
    What Mod do people recommend ( currently using an Atec CMM4 and find it good)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Can't comment on the rifle but can give my twopence on a few of your questions.

If the rifle is considerably lighter in weight then the extra cost is worth for comfort. I hunt with a feather weight and it is a dream to carry around compared to my heavier rifle. My stalking buddy hunts with a more modern version lightweight and again very handy

Vizzy wrote: »
    Is the stainless barrell worth the extra €300 or so.

I would say (again a few lads I hunt with sport s/s barrels) that they are more robust for ware and tear and very suitable for reflex moderators as they dont mark as easily as blued barrels. I've never had a problem with them in relation to glare, reflection or shine, as some people seem to have an issue with.
    What Mod do people recommend ( currently using an Atec CMM4 and find it good)

I am using the old Wildcat Predator 8 in 30-06 calibre, previously I used it on a .243 and all it cost me to up grade was the price of a new 30 cal diffuser. As well as being a great moderator for sound suppression (IMO) its modular design is a gift. I am currently purchasing another bridge piece to use the same mod on a different rifle.
    The draw back is its weight but that has being dealt with by the introduction of the Wildcat Evolution that is half the weight of the P8 -

https://www.wildcatmoderators.co.uk/product/evolution/

This is something that I will be purchasing soon enough and bypassing other excellent brands solely based on its ability to be adaptable to other threads and calibres at a fraction of the price of another moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I've never had a problem carrying 12lb of rifle on my back using a "Gun Slinger" waist belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

clivej wrote: »
    I've never had a problem carrying 12lb of rifle on my back using a "Gun Slinger" waist belt.

It's not the 12lb of rifle that's a problem, although why would you want to?, ... it's the hybrid stag you shot a few miles back over the other side of a mountain that's the issue.
    Now your cursing that extra pair of latex gloves you packed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It's not the 12lb of rifle that's a problem, although why would you want to?, ... it's the hybrid stag you shot a few miles back over the other side of a mountain that's the issue.
    Now your cursing that extra pair of latex gloves you packed!

Exactly, when I add up all the bits and bobs I carry it comes to 16.5 lbs, and its not so much the weight but the imbalance of everything even though I have a very good sling (Z-aim) which takes most of the weight on my hips and not my shoulder, so I want to cut down on the weight I have to haul over gates and electric fences and through ploughed fields.
    If I am going to spend that kind of money, I may as well future proof the weight as best I can.

Knowing Clive he is probably working on a robot who will carry the stuff for him, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Knowing Clive he is probably working on a robot who will carry the stuff for him, LOL

Those were the days when I had to haul a deer down a mountain and/or out of the forest.
    Now I'm able to almost drive up to the grassed deer and load into the car. And I made a hoist to get the beast into the boot. Ah the joys of stalking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I'd highly recommend the tikka t3x lite in 223. I love mine. The trigger is very good breaks like glass and the bolt is buttery smooth. Very accurate rifle. Mine weights 2.9kg without attachments. I have the version with an adjustable comb and it gives a great cheek wield while shooting.

As for moderators I use the hausken jd224 with mesh fitted. It's a very quiet and light moderator. I have a wildcat evolution but I don't use it anymore because my hausken is quieter and lighter.

I have the blued barrel and it's never caused a problem. I just wipe it with an oily rag when I get in. I also got my rifle secondhand and saved a few bob. Once it's well minded a secondhand rifle will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'd highly recommend the tikka t3x lite in 223. I love mine. The trigger is very good breaks like glass and the bolt is buttery smooth. Very accurate rifle. Mine weights 2.9kg without attachments. I have the version with an adjustable comb and it gives a great cheek weild while shooting.

As for moderators I use the hausken jd224 with mesh fitted. It's a very quiet and light moderator. I have a wildcat evolution but I don't use it anymore because my hausken is quieter and lighter.

Yeah Chris, heading to the dark side :D

Advertisement