Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing speedo dial from MPH to KMPH

Options
  • 18-03-2021 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently bought a c-class (English car 2018). Unfortunately the speedo is not digital so the dial is in MPH only. I have looked into changing the physical speedo to a KMPH version and came across Logic Automotive in Rathcoole.

I am looking for advice:

1. Has anyone recently changed their speedo
    2. Who did you use?
    3. Has anyone dealt with Logic Automotive before, what are they like to deal with?

PS: I know I can change the digital readout to KMPH but the readout is small and I would really prefer to have the correct speedo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Waldorf.Salad

Meant to add that the car is a mercedes c-class saloon (2.0 D AMGline)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try this

Edit, ok it's the clockface you want changed. I can't help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Did you actually even read the OP biko?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

If you click the arrow buttons on the steering wheel to select ‘trip’ and scroll through and select speed, you can have your current speed in kilometres displayed quite largely across the display (as well as the small read out at the bottom)

There’s really no need to go changing speedos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I bought from this crowd before to put mph clocks on an Irish car for export. Worked fine in a 2015 golf. Not sure how easy it is in the Merc.

https://lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials/fascias-kmh-scale/mercedes-dial-kmh/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

I recently bought a c-class (English car 2018). Unfortunately the speedo is not digital so the dial is in MPH only. I have looked into changing the physical speedo to a KMPH version and came across Logic Automotive in Rathcoole.

I am looking for advice:

2. Who did you use?
    3. Has anyone dealt with Logic Automotive before, what are they like to deal with?

PS: I know I can change the digital readout to KMPH but the readout is small and I would really prefer to have the correct speedo.

Have dealt with Logic Automotive before and found him knowledgeable and helpful but I wasn't getting a speedo change. He did have something in there at that time that he was changing the clocks on. I think he might do speedo calibration as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

I am looking for advice:

2. Who did you use?

can you not just do quick conversions ?

20 miles = 30 km
    30 miles = 50 km
    40 miles = 60 km
    50 miles = 80 km
    60 miles = 100 km
    70 miles = 120 km

most speedos underreport by 3 - 8% so you should be fine sticking to that

changing the speedo will raise flags for resale, was it clocked ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kaahooters wrote: »

20 miles = 30 km
    30 miles = 50 km
    40 miles = 60 km
    50 miles = 80 km
    60 miles = 100 km
    70 miles = 120 km

Shouldn't even need to.. the speedo will have km/h in the inner ring I'd expect

Plus if it's anything like my A6 the display between the dials can be set for km/h as described above, and on mine this gives a big speed display in the centre as standard

Also, as we share a border with a country still using mph, it's better to have both if you're ever up there IMO.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Shouldn't even need to.. the speedo will have km/h in the inner ring I'd expect

Plus if it's anything like my A6 the display between the dials can be set for km/h as described above, and on mine this gives a big speed display in the centre as standard

Also, as we share a border with a country still using mph, it's better to have both if you're ever up there IMO.

Except it’s not an A6. It’s a Mercedes C-Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

To confirm, does the menu with the speed shown in large letters, show mph or km/h?

Is there also another km/h, in smaller letters that shows on every menu page? There was on my E-class, being an UK car which you could drive to Europe, but I don't think the American version got that.

Below would be an option, expensive for what it is, and would be a few hours labour.

https://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/Speedometer-Disc-Mercedes-W205-W447-GLC-GLC300-C-253-X-253-Petrol-Mph-to-Kmh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

20 miles = 30 km
    30 miles = 50 km
    40 miles = 60 km
    50 miles = 80 km
    60 miles = 100 km
    70 miles = 120 km

Underreport??? I thought they overreport and aren't allowed to underreport :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

20 miles = 30 km
    30 miles = 50 km
    40 miles = 60 km
    50 miles = 80 km
    60 miles = 100 km
    70 miles = 120 km

The speedo isn't being changed, just the clock face.

Underreport??? I thought they overreport and aren't allowed to underreport :confused:

Yup my bad

newmember? wrote: »
    The speedo isn't being changed, just the clock face.

Original post said speedo, kept with it. Still raises flags for resail for anyone paying attention to the car on inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

As mentioned it's just the face that needs changed. I can't speak for the Merc but presume similar as Lockwood sell the face part only, they wouldn't sell it if it wasn't something that was easily swapped.

Screenshot-20210319-202329-com-android-chrome.jpg

Here's my golf one opened up, and you can see the face is just a then piece of plastic type material that is held in place with little plastic parts through holes in it.

Screenshot-20210319-202006-com-google-android-apps-photos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I thought about doing this on my own car. I don't see how it could hurt resale as long as you just mention it and keep the original clock face.

I do have a digital km/h readout which is great but I'd just like to have the km/h clock face too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Waldorf.Salad

Thank you all for your advice.

I just would prefer to have the km clock face. (My mistake saying that I was looking to change the Speedo)

I use the screen between the 2 dials for other displays (consumption, radio etc) rather than the digital readout of the speed.
    If it wasn’t overly expensive nor any risk, I would like to change it. I will be holding onto this car for a number of years as my wife’s car is next up for replacement.

Thanks again

Advertisement