Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Refund Delay

Options
  • 18-03-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently bought a prepay phone online from 3 and returned it unopened and unused a few days later as is my right under the distance selling "cooling-off" period. It was delivered back to their RMA processing centre last Friday, and now 3 are telling me it may be 21 working days until I get my refund. According to the CPCC website in the "Buying Online" section, "If you cancel the service or return the phone, the business, by law, has to refund you within 14 days of the day you notify the trader that you wish to cancel." I'm wondering whose interpretation is wrong here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I think it's written badly on the cpcc website.

Can't see any law that says a refund must be made within 14 days of "notification"

That would suggest that you could wait a few more days before sending it back but company still has to do it within 14 days of the notification?

Makes no sense.

Three will say 21 days to cover themselves fully for any unforeseen delays. In reality it's substantially quicker. Other online companies state 28 days

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

I checked the Consumer Association of Ireland's website and it says "You should contact the seller in writing – by email, letter or fax – and request a refund or a replacement. In the case of a refund, the seller must reimburse you within 14 days of cancellation, including standard delivery costs. However, the seller may withhold the reimbursement until the goods have been returned or until the consumer provides evidence that the goods have been sent back to the seller. "

Since 3 confirmed to me that they received the item on the 12th, that gives them till this Friday to reimburse me. Why they're telling me it takes 21 working days is beyond me. It's against the law based on that clause on the CAI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The seller must refund you within 14 days, I assume that doesn't mean you have the money within 14 days. Their 21 days also allows time for the refund to be processed back to the card also.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

I was refunded this morning, so credit to 3.

Advertisement