Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling In The Years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Lovely song but I think "If You Tolerate This" by the Manic Street Preachers (which reached #1 that year) would have fit a bit better, what with its subject matter.

Funnily enough, Massive Attack have a remix of "If You Tolerate This".

Showing my age here, but I have the CD single that had that remix as a b side.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That was always the point. It was never about playing the years top 10

That's exactly what Virgin do with their "Don't look back in anger" - they just rattle off whatever was in the top 10 of that year. But whoever picks the music choices for RitY is fantastic at matching the music to the topic onscreen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If Joe Brolly's unhinged rant about Sean Cavanagh doesn't get mentioned I'll be dissapointed

Obama, Enda, Noonan, Phil Hogan, Lagarde, Apple & Google tax scams.

What a year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Not surprised Get Lucky was played, was hard to avoid for a while, just waiting for Wake Me Up by Avicii.

Knew that ROT proposal would make it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why is the rose of tralee thing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Up in the Aviva that day, will never forget it

Remember Sean Moncrieff being shocked on air when the newsreader announced Newstalk were signing Kenny.

The words 'holy sh1t' were used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What's that song? TV is on in next room.

To thine own self be true

Can't see any problems with that referendum Cameron was proposing.

• Advertisement

Far too much of that Hozier clip.

Oh Christ that Tuam stuff next week.

A fairly grim note to leave it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Never got that Seanad reform

Another vote that people were lied to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

SPDUB wrote: »

With all the moaning about elected TDs and unelected bureaucrats in Brussels how did the country keep those muppets. My only guess is the vote happened just after the entire youth of Ireland had emigrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Powerful ending. I think its good that people get reminders of our dark past. Some political apologies can be very shallow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

I wonder why the clip of aengus mac grianna was phone camera footage, surely they had the actual recording?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Better music choices this week, last topic quiet poignant i must say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

:pac:
    Who'd have known the sh*tstorm that would lie ahead.

On a musical note, had never heard the Villagers song 'Nothing Arrived' before, quite a nice song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The vote was get rid or retain as-is. Reform was never on the table, people who wanted to retain their cushy number pretended they'd fight for it if it was retained. And didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

RTE are utterly infatuated with the Obamas (and all Democratic US presidents really). The fawning and praising is nauseating. Compare to how George W Bush was treated by them. The infamous Carole Coleman interview comes to mind. Doesn't matter what side of the political spectrum you lean towards, you can't pretend RTE don't play favourites.

coinop wrote: »
    RTE are utterly infatuated with the Obamas (and all Democratic US presidents really). The fawning and praising is nauseating. Compare to how George W Bush was treated by them. The infamous Carole Coleman interview comes to mind. Doesn't matter what side of the political spectrum you lean towards, you can't pretend RTE don't play favourites.

Maybe the Republicans should try having a president who is not a complete moron like Trump and Bush and people might treat them better. It wasnt just RTE it was everyone grilled those 2 and I dont think Regan ever got that from the Irish.

No need for Obama this week really but 2013 seemed to be a slow year given that we got Pat Kenny changing jobs and Tom Cruise thinking he is Irish now because his ancestor was a Norman invader the episode was really only saved by the ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

:pac:
    Who'd have known the sh*tstorm that would lie ahead.

On a musical note, had never heard the Villagers song 'Nothing Arrived' before, quite a nice song.

Villagers are a great band. I'm glad you like the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sandz066

R00ster wrote: »
    I wonder why the clip of aengus mac grianna was phone camera footage, surely they had the actual recording?

I thought that was intentional to point towards the video recording on mobile going viral on twitter etc at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Iirc, did they not blame the fact that the RETAIN vote won on how the question was worded?

I know at least one person who voted wrongly. They thought they were voting to get rid and actually voted to retain it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/493688/?espv=1

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Seems that it has been decided, mid-run, that women’s sport will be given parity with men’s. Any reasonable person would welcome a world in which men’s and women’s sport is of equal significance, but trying to force the issue when the standard of women’s is so low is just embarrassing.

Seems that it has been decided, mid-run, that women’s sport will be given parity with men’s. Any reasonable person would welcome a world in which men’s and women’s sport is of equal significance, but trying to force the issue when the standard of women’s is so low is just embarrassing.
    the ladies football final you'll see next week was 1 of the dramatic finals i ever remember in any code, there has been some terrible camogie finals over the years but last year's was alot better given new rules allowing the players so show some level of physicality

Whinging about the addition of a short few minutes of clips because the quality of women's sport is not as good even though the clips are just a few shots of goals so any worry of quality difference is not noticable is embarrassing

Whinging about the addition of a short few minutes of clips because the quality of women's sport is not as good even though the clips are just a few shots of goals so any worry of quality difference is not noticable is embarrassing

Secondary school teachers encourage their weaker students to keep their sentences short. You might consider taking such advice.

It seems scarcely believable to me that you could think the differential in quality would be least noticeable at the point of goal-scoring. To anyone with eyes, the quality in the clips shown is very low.

• Advertisement

Secondary school teachers encourage their weaker students to keep their sentences short. You might consider taking such advice.

It seems scarcely believable to me that you could think the differential in quality would be least noticeable at the point of goal-scoring. To anyone with eyes, the quality in the clips shown is very low.

My point was it doesn't matter about the quality it's just a few clips of goals and it's really just about telling you the winner. If showing the score of a woman's final is embarrassing you must be very easily embarrassed

The general idea of Reeling in the years is to provide a composition of the most memorable moments/events for the majority of the country.

Nothing against women’s sport, more power to them. However in fairness, those finals are not significant/memorable moments for the vast vast majority of the country - Croke Park isn’t even half full for the matches.
    Just seems a bit shoehorned in in the name of equality...which is fine, only that some other notable things/media/trends of the year might be omitted as a result

The general idea of Reeling in the years is to provide a composition of the most memorable moments/events for the majority of the country.

Nothing against women’s sport, more power to them. However in fairness, those finals are not significant/memorable moments for the vast vast majority of the country - Croke Park isn’t even half full for the matches.
    Just seems a bit shoehorned in in the name of equality...which is fine, only that some other notable things/media/trends of the year might be omitted as a result

Last week maybe but this week we got Pat Kenny changing job and a news reader putting on makeup so women's GAA wasn't even the least newsworthy thing.

Also there is a chicken and egg argument here. Is women's sport not popular because it gets no exposure or get no exposure because it's not popular.

I do think the show needs to go 45min because other minority events like the LOI champions get left out every year too

Also there is a chicken and egg argument here. Is women's sport not popular because it gets no exposure or get no exposure because it's not popular.

I dunno about that - it gets plenty of exposure, the Women’s soccer internationals, 6 nations, All Ireland etc all on free to air viewing...the quality generally simply isn’t at the same level and the level of interest reflects that

I dunno about that - it gets plenty of exposure, the Women’s soccer internationals, 6 nations, All Ireland etc all on free to air viewing...the quality generally simply isn’t at the same level and the level of interest reflects that

It does now but didn't for years so it will take time. I'm not expecting it to ever be as big or good as the mens games but they give their time and work hard just like the men so no harm they get 2 minutes on RITY and hopefully it will encourage people to play.

I'm happy for RTE to spend it's time on minority irish sport over re runs of Big Bang Theory or whatever

Last week maybe but this week we got Pat Kenny changing job and a news reader putting on makeup so women's GAA wasn't even the least newsworthy thing.

You must have a short memory. The biggest Irish TV personality since Gay Byrne leaving RTE was a big news story at the time. Whether it interests you is irrelevant. The man falling on ice in the 2010 episode was not newsworthy; it was added for colour, as was Mac Grianna's blooper (which was not him merely putting on make-up, as you so disingenuously describe it).

Weak, weak, weak. Coverage on Reeling in the Years is not determining the fate of women's sport. It needs to earn its place among the most memorable moments of the year.

• Advertisement

You must have a short memory. The biggest Irish TV personality since Gay Byrne leaving RTE was a big news story at the time. Whether it interests you is irrelevant. The man falling on ice in the 2010 episode was not newsworthy; it was added for colour, as was Mac Grianna's blooper (which was not him merely putting on make-up, as you so disingenuously describe it).

Weak, weak, weak. Coverage on Reeling in the Years is not determining the fate of women's sport. It needs to earn its place among the most memorable moments of the year.

Both media events must have went way over my head because I don't remember a thing about your man caught with the camera on and certainly don't know what the big deal was. Did he curse or something and I missed it. I know Kenny switched station but didn't think anyone had it down as a big event. Same goes for Norton getting his own walk or Tom Cruise in Ireland.

I don't expect everything to be of interest to me. I put up with clips of golf without any complaint

As for the second point I didn't mean just on RITY but media coverage in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Both media events must have went way over my head because I don't remember a thing about your man caught with the camera on and certainly don't know what the big deal was. Did he curse or something and I missed it. I know Kenny switched station but didn't think anyone had it down as a big event. Same goes for Norton getting his own walk or Tom Cruise in Ireland.

I don't expect everything to be of interest to me. I put up with clips of golf without any complaint

As for the second point I didn't mean just on RITY but media coverage in general.

Pat Kenny was a presenter with RTE for over 40 years and much of that involved him presenting heavyweight current affairs programs on radio and television, as well as, of course, RTE's biggest chat show The Late Late Show. So, yes, his move to Newstalk was a major broadcasting event warranting a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Far too much of that Hozier clip.

One second of Hozier is far too much

Pat Kenny was a presenter with RTE for over 40 years and much of that involved him presenting heavyweight current affairs programs on radio and television, as well as, of course, RTE's biggest chat show The Late Late Show. So, yes, his move to Newstalk was a major broadcasting event warranting a mention.

Ide get it if he was retiring but just moving station wasn't a big deal for me. I don't ever listen to the radio during the day though and only do the odd time at night and even then I pick and choose using podcasts so for non radio users like myself it would have went unnoticed. I reckon it wouldn't have made it into 2010/11/12 but 13 seemed a bit boring to me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Prediction for next week's episode, 2014? First thing that jumped out for me was the two Malaysian Airlines disasters, both deeply shocking events. Music wise I think we'll hear at least one of Pharrell Williams 'Happy', Ed Sheeran 'Thinking Out Loud', Ella Henderson 'Ghost' and Clean Bandit 'Rather Be'.

• Advertisement

2014 isn't ringing many bells outside of the World Cup.

The Malaysian airlines and Ed Sheeran will probably make it in as stated above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looking at this, there's plenty there

https://www.rte.ie/news/special-reports/2014/1218/667685-year-in-review-2014/

Would expect the Malaysian Airlines, O'Keeffe, Pantigate, Anglo Trial, water charges protests, Higgins visiting Lizzie, deaths of Reynolds and Paisley, Shatter walking, Tuam and Garth ******* Brooks to make it from that list at the very least.

Prediction for next week's episode, 2014? First thing that jumped out for me was the two Malaysian Airlines disasters, both deeply shocking events. Music wise I think we'll hear at least one of Pharrell Williams 'Happy', Ed Sheeran 'Thinking Out Loud', Ella Henderson 'Ghost' and Clean Bandit 'Rather Be'.

Ireland win the six nations with Joe Schmidt at the helm

L1011 wrote: »
    Looking at this, there's plenty there

https://www.rte.ie/news/special-reports/2014/1218/667685-year-in-review-2014/

Would expect the Malaysian Airlines, O'Keeffe, Pantigate, Anglo Trial, water charges protests, Higgins visiting Lizzie, deaths of Reynolds and Paisley, Shatter walking, Tuam and Garth ******* Brooks to make it from that list at the very least.

Pretty sure I saw the Brooks concert in the ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

storm darwin ,i will remember it for many the year ,frightening here in north Kerry 12/02/2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

2012 and 2013 were really quite boring looking back. can't remember much of 2014 either apart from that shocking 7-1 world cup result. 2015 has a few things with gay marriage referendum and bataclan attacks and rise of ISIS. 2016 is when it really kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Only thing I find annoying is so much coverage given to the royals...No need for royal wedding or the birth of George or whatever his name was. The queen's visit obviously deserved plenty of time

For 2014 hope to see the glorious Cadburys ad with Giles and Dunphy. As already mentioned Brazil Germany 7-1 and Six Nations in sports terms and the drawn hurling final of kilkenny and tipperary arguably the best game of all time, had the hawk eye moment at the end too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

2014 isn't ringing many bells outside of the World Cup.

The Malaysian airlines and Ed Sheeran will probably make it in as stated above

Start of the Ukraine crisis (taking in shooting down of one of the Malaysian planes) and Russia annexing Crimea would among the big stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Conqueror

In addition to the above, the Scottish independence referendum, the rise of ISIS, and the spread of Ebola may be mentioned. Conchita Wurst winning the Eurovision for Austria is a long shot, but it was certainly a bigger talking point then other Eurovision winners during the decade.

Music: "Happy" will definitely be played. Surprised if "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus doesn't get an airing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement