Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling In The Years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Regency shooting

Trump winning

BREXIT!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

That was a dreadful episode...really poor music selection

Why in the name of jaysus is it not chronologically ordered, fųkin arktards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

So next week

Euro 2016
    Olympics
    Pokemon Go

Can't remember a whole lot else happening.......

I think we had a General Election and there was the Regency Hotel Shotting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That was a dreadful episode...really poor music selection

Years and Years Shine is a gorgeous song

You're a miserable lot sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Be right back

coinop wrote: »
    Deleted post.

I respectfully disagree and wouldn't describe the ending as revolting in the least. Just a sample of the modern world that those kids will be growing up in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Regency shooting

Trump winning

Wonder will they mention that Irish fella arrested in Rio for ticket touting, then Joe Duffy making a bloody fool of himself interrogating the Rio Police commissioner over it...
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/25/enhanced-interrogation/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I only watched the 2014 episode tonight, I'm genuinely stunned they left out the two Malaysian Airlines disasters. Particularly so in the case of MH17 which was directly related to the Crimea crisis, which *did* get a mention. MH370 was also a huge, huge story and perhaps remains the biggest aviation mystery of all time. I appreciate they can't get everything in, but surely these merited a mention over fúcking loom bands, whatever the hell they were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wonder will they mention that Irish fella arrested in Rio for ticket touting, then Joe Duffy making a bloody fool of himself interrogating the Rio Police commissioner over it...
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/08/25/enhanced-interrogation/

Irish media propaganda will probably allow for Pat Hickey to get away without being mentioned on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Glad they played Soak.

Here's an interesting song that was on the "Listen List" for the 2015 episode, but didn't make it into the episode. I didn't recognise it by name, but it sounds vaguely familiar...
    https://open.spotify.com/track/7MZM9KhwGQG8QJ4BycsnQn?si=7zqBIqUiSZOcm_Z3NRwAZw&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Not really feeling it this decade but maybe the fact I don't like the music is playing into it.
    I only watched the 2014 episode tonight, I'm genuinely stunned they left out the two Malaysian Airlines disasters. Particularly so in the case of MH17 which was directly related to the Crimea crisis, which *did* get a mention. MH370 was also a huge, huge story and perhaps remains the biggest aviation mystery of all time. I appreciate they can't get everything in, but surely these merited a mention over fúcking loom bands, whatever the hell they were?
    Were loom bands the supposed "shag bands" that the media got their knickers in a twist over?

The Srebrenica massacre wasn't in the 1995 episode, to be fair.

The Srebrenica massacre wasn't in the 1995 episode, to be fair.

Well then, you'd think they'd learn from their mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Who the hell is SOAK? Never heard of her and the song is terrible.

SOAK is actually quite popular. She is critically acclaimed and has been played on alternative rock oriented online (mainly) radio station 8Radio.com. She wouldn't exactly be my cup of tea, but the song was interesting. Just because you never heard of her does not mean that she is not known out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

SOAK is a great singer, but that wasn't one of her best known songs.
    They should have shown Sea Creatures.

Well then, you'd think they'd learn from their mistakes.

Just accept it, the show isn't a definitive history of what happened in Ireland or the world in a certain year. Too much would have happened in a year to fit into a 30-minute show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

So next week

Euro 2016
    Olympics
    Pokemon Go

Can't remember a whole lot else happening.......

Brexit
    Trump

Probably the two biggest stories of the decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Why in the name of jaysus is it not chronologically ordered, fųkin arktards

I think it was always like that, just noticing now as its 2015 instead of 1965 :)

Ladies GAA finals? Empty stadiums...no one cares

It is funny, as the clearly empty stadium (and those few who are there are put in full view of the camera) showed how much people cared 6 years ago nevermind now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

SOAK is actually quite popular. She is critically acclaimed and has been played on alternative rock oriented online (mainly) radio station 8Radio.com. She wouldn't exactly be my cup of tea, but the song was interesting. Just because you never heard of her does not mean that she is not known out there.

Give over. 8radio.com now gets you on reeling in the years??!!

I would have heard of nearly all singers/bands or heard the song before on reeling in the years, I might not necessarily be able to match them up during a table quiz but that SOAK song was so out of place, it even included the album details, I actually thought it was an advertisement to buy the album.

Having said all that I listened to a few of they're songs today and they aren't too bad <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

F.nelson wrote: »
    Give over. 8radio.com now gets you on reeling in the years??!!

I would have heard of nearly all singers/bands or heard the song before on reeling in the years, I might not necessarily be able to match them up during a table quiz but that SOAK song was so out of place, it even included the album details, I actually thought it was an advertisement to buy the album.

Having said all that I listened to a few of they're songs today and they aren't too bad <snip>

SOAK was getting a lot of attention amongst the music critics. Incidentally, SOAK is a solo female artiste - her real name was shown on the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

SOAK was getting a lot of attention amongst the music critics. Incidentally, SOAK is a solo female artiste - her real name was shown on the screen!

Even if she did (which I don't remember at all), the song was ****.

I don't get the idea of just playing Irish musicians. Uptown Funk was the big tune of that year and wasn't played. If it was the first single released by a band that went on to become massive, then yeah you'd understand it.

Even if she did (which I don't remember at all), the song was ****.

I don't get the idea of just playing Irish musicians. Uptown Funk was the big tune of that year and wasn't played. If it was the first single released by a band that went on to become massive, then yeah you'd understand it.

Uptown Funk was on the listen list. The listen list is a list of songs the producer listens to for consideration in the episode, kind of a longlist. I would imagine he couldn't really fit it into any of the scenes appropriately.

It's not uncommon for big hits of the year not to be used in the episode. "Maniac 2000" and "Sandstorm" aren't in the 2000 episode, "A Woman's Heart" isn't in the 1992 episode, "We Should Be Lovers" and "Mr. Saxobeat" aren't in the 2011 episode, "It Wasn't Me" and "Can't Get You Out of My Head" aren't in the 2001 episode. To name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Uptown Funk was a bigger hit than any of those above especially worldwide.

Even Can't Get You Out of My Head which is probably the 2nd biggest hit on that list, wasnt that big outside of UK/Ire/Oz

They should use songs that were popular that year or at least came out that year. If it didn't come out that year I that's partially ruining the show for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Sky documentaries do a similar show called the eighties/nineties/noughties. Usually runs every evening for a week and covers a theme each night. Such as politics, sport, music etc

It's great as an overview but I'm glad RITY views it through an Irish lense. You can't be all things to all people. If it tried, it'd be pretty mundane.

Even Can't Get You Out of My Head which is probably the 2nd biggest hit on that list, wasnt that big outside of UK/Ire/Oz

They should use songs that were popular that year or at least came out that year. If it didn't come out that year I that's partially ruining the show for me.

:eek:
    Can't Get You Out of My Head was an international number one hit, topping the charts in 20+ countries. It even peaked at #7 in America, a country which was totally averse to dance music in 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Which part of the show would you have used Uptown Funk in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

breezy1985 wrote: »

Theresa Mannion in Galway or even the Gay marriage referendum, or eircode introduction or Leo coming out as gay.

They had loads of chances for it.

Theresa Mannion in Galway or even the Gay marriage referendum, or eircode introduction or Leo coming out as gay.

They had loads of chances for it.

What they used for the referendum was much better as the scene needed a fast loud song. As for the other 2 fair enough I dont think it would matter what was played over them.

On a personal note I hate the Theresa Mannion clip. It just looks so obviosly faked to me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I hope Leicester winning the league will be in 2016 episode

GT89 wrote: »
    I hope Leicester winning the league will be in 2016 episode

Think someone mentioned on the thread above that they never show premier league content. Plus I imagine euro 2016 will make the bulk of the sporting content for next week.

We'll probably see the Nice attack also, still horrific what happened almost five years on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Was that not always the case. Off the top of my head I can remember U2, Boyzone and Tom Dunnes band all on the Late Late and the used show Big Tom and the likes on variety shows.

Eurovision should only ever get in if we win it

At least there's a bit of variety between those four. And Boyzone and U2 were big enough to justify inclusion.

I really don't see how they can justify having 3 rather similar acts playing sad acoustic indie music in the same episode. You'd think that was the only genre of music around in 2015.
    I don't think they've shown a single hip-hop, RnB, dance, metal or Reggaeton song this entire series so far.

Blisterman wrote: »
    At least there's a bit of variety between those four. And Boyzone and U2 were big enough to justify inclusion.

I really don't see how they can justify having 3 rather similar acts playing sad acoustic indie music in the same episode. You'd think that was the only genre of music around in 2015.
    I don't think they've shown a single hip-hop, RnB, dance, metal or Reggaeton song this entire series so far.

Some of the recent ones went way over my head too. Never heard of that SOAK woman for instance. Are Ireland still producing Metal, dance and all the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There was no coverage of McGregor winning the interim, followed by actual featherweight belts in ufc in the recent 2015 episode. Shows you the sports snobbery that exists in RTÉ, they know next to nothing about mma yet hero worship Katie Taylor for her boxing achievements.

There was no coverage of McGregor winning the interim, followed by actual featherweight belts in ufc in the recent 2015 episode. Shows you the sports snobbery that exists in RTÉ, they know next to nothing about mma yet hero worship Katie Taylor for her boxing achievements.

I imagine the Premier League exclusion is a rights thing and this might be the same.

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote: »

Eminem was in the 2010 episode.

Eminem was in the 2010 episode.

Rihanna too whatever she is classed as

It wasn't truly newsworthy, but it was hilarious, Vincent Brown storming the gates at Gorse Hill in early 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I imagine the Premier League exclusion is a rights thing and this might be the same.

I'd imagine the Premier League exclusion is a "nothing to do with Ireland" thing.

I'd imagine the Premier League exclusion is a "nothing to do with Ireland" thing.

Like Germany beating Brazil in a World Cup we were not in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The amount of mileage RTÉ got out of Teresa Mannion down in Salthill I’m surprised they haven’t staged more “sure to go viral” reports.

[edit] Scratch that. Every late late toy show for the last decade has milked clips RTÉ create for social media traction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

You can bring the funk anywhere, man. I hate the song but songs help me remember a year more than anything, especially that year as I had to work in a place that had a radio on 24/7.

You can bring the funk anywhere, man. I hate the song but songs help me remember a year more than anything, especially that year as I had to work in a place that had a radio on 24/7.

Ya working near a radio or in my case in a nightclub burns songs into the brain like that. Makes em stick to a moment in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tbf, that's nothing to do with the sport. That's just due to McGregor being a complete and utter scumbag who doesnt deserve any kind of national attention.

Dont follow boxing so cant comment on what Katie Taylor is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The amount of mileage RTÉ got out of Teresa Mannion down in Salthill I’m surprised they haven’t staged more “sure to go viral” reports.

[edit] Scratch that. Every late late toy show for the last decade has milked clips RTÉ create for social media traction.

Always think that Mannion clip is incredibly unprofessional. If you have to be out in a storm, hold yourself together for the 30 seconds. Irish storms aren't that bad. She was way over the top but as you say, rte got the mileage out of it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbf, that's nothing to do with the sport. That's just due to McGregor being a complete and utter scumbag who doesnt deserve any kind of national attention.

Dont follow boxing so cant comment on what Katie Taylor is like.

Like him or not (and I agree with you, he is a prick!) he is Irish and became a huge international star.
    Arguably the most successful Irish sports star ever.

So excluding him?
    Even a mention or some interview clip, I am sure they can be sourced rights free, really shows RTE's bias.
    They show an actual clip of some singer I had to google after as I never heard of her but no mention of him?

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Like him or not (and I agree with you, he is a prick!) he is Irish and became a huge international star.
    Arguably the most successful Irish sports star ever.

So excluding him?
    Even a mention or some interview clip, I am sure they can be sourced rights free, really shows RTE's bias.
    They show an actual clip of some singer I had to google after as I never heard of her but no mention of him?

Conor McGregor is not Ireland's most successful sports star ever. For one his record is not even remotely close to Katie Taylor who you mentioned earlier

Another of Irelands most successful ever athletes Sean Kelly barely got a mention in the 80s show despite being one of the greats and no mention of any of Dan Martins monument wins either. Stuff gets left out it's not worth stressing over

Conor McGregor is not Ireland's most successful sports star ever. For one his record is not even remotely close to Katie Taylor who you mentioned earlier

Another of Irelands most successful ever athletes Sean Kelly barely got a mention in the 80s show despite being one of the greats and no mention of any of Dan Martins monument wins either. Stuff gets left out it's not worth stressing over

ok correction!

He is Ireland's most famous sport star ever.
    And I say that, not liking the man, knowing nothing about UFC but from the sample fact that he is very well known across the world.
    Katie Taylor, Sean Kelly and Dan Martin, sorry but about outside of their sports, not many really care and as for the latter (and I am not being smart here) I honestly dont have a clue who that is, even after googling.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    ok correction!

He is Ireland's most famous sport star ever.
    And I say that, not liking the man, knowing nothing about UFC but from the sample fact that he is very well known across the world.
    Katie Taylor, Sean Kelly and Dan Martin, sorry but about outside of their sports, not many really care and as for the latter (and I am not being smart here) I honestly dont have a clue who that is, even after googling.

I put Martin in just to prove that winning the biggest events in your sport can mean nothing to a lot people even if you are Irish.

Famous I'll agree with you McGregor is very famous and more so than the others. He probably should get a mention but it's not bias and I would say your picking the wrong choice comparing him to Taylor who is way way more liked, seen as a role model and completely dominant in her sport and has helped influence the history of her sport in a way few do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I put Martin in just to prove that winning the biggest events in your sport can mean nothing to a lot people even if you are Irish.

Famous I'll agree with you McGregor is very famous and more so than the others. He probably should get a mention but it's not bias and I would say your picking the wrong choice comparing him to Taylor who is way way more liked, seen as a role model and completely dominant in her sport and has helped influence the history of her sport in a way few do

I wouldn't be a fan of either to be honest but I do find Mcgregor far more popular and liked than Taylor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement