Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling In The Years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wouldn't be a fan of either to be honest but I do find Mcgregor far more popular and liked than Taylor.

Probably depends on who you know I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Like Germany beating Brazil in a World Cup we were not in.

The hint is in the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    ok correction!

He is Ireland's most famous sport star ever.
    And I say that, not liking the man, knowing nothing about UFC but from the sample fact that he is very well known across the world.
    Katie Taylor, Sean Kelly and Dan Martin, sorry but about outside of their sports, not many really care and as for the latter (and I am not being smart here) I honestly dont have a clue who that is, even after googling.
    "Infamous" is the word I would use to describe him.

The hint is in the name.

Ok I could be wrong as I don't remember but it didn't have Roy Keane captain a team loved in Ireland to the Champions League similar for O'Shea and Finnan. They didn't show Irishmen win the European Cup (clue is in the name) for teams loved in Ireland.

Some stuff doesn't get in it's really not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I also forgot to mention they got the caption wrong on the Shane Long goal.

They said we beat the World Champions in a European Championship game. It was a qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor McGregor is not Ireland's most successful sports star ever. For one his record is not even remotely close to Katie Taylor who you mentioned earlier

Another of Irelands most successful ever athletes Sean Kelly barely got a mention in the 80s show despite being one of the greats and no mention of any of Dan Martins monument wins either. Stuff gets left out it's not worth stressing over

Excuse me, but I would say winning a world title in men’s mma/ufc is a far bigger achievement than winning a world title in women’s boxing. There is a very little worldwide interest in women’s boxing. And let’s be honest, we even go crazy if we win the olympics in horse jumping.
    Let’s see if they include him in 2016 episode when he became first person to hold 2 world titles at same time. He won sports personality of the year so they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Yeah tbh the new episodes are crap.

They shouldn't have left out the McGregor stuff, his rise and fall are one of the biggest stories of recent years and his legal troubles are even more reason to include his adventures. It would have made for an interesting narrative thread throughout several episodes.

And yeah, Katie's great but no one cares about women's boxing, if they did there would be more girls who could compete with her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I only saw this weekends episode tonight.
    I got quite emotional at the marriage equality part.
    It was such an amazing day, growing up I never thought I would see something like that in my lifetime.
    Now happily married since Nov 2019.

Yeah tbh the new episodes are crap.

They shouldn't have left out the McGregor stuff, his rise and fall are one of the biggest stories of recent years and his legal troubles are even more reason to include his adventures. It would have made for an interesting narrative thread throughout several episodes.

And yeah, Katie's great but no one cares about women's boxing, if they did there would be more girls who could compete with her!

That is all still to come though. 2015 was when he was charming, cheeky and likeable. And in the sport he rose to the top of the featherweight division, winning interim title in late summer and the real title in mid December.
    It is in 2016 when he fights Diaz twice, this is where he started to go way ott in the press conferences before the fights, and then in November he wins the lightweight belt at marquee event in MSG and becomes the champ-champ. And wins RTÉ sports personality that December.
    It’s then after this, so 2017 really, he is on an endless party celebrating his achievements of past 2 years, that he starts getting in trouble. He keeps the head down in the summer during fight camp for his boxing vs Mayweather, then after that fight and his mega money earnings he starts to go crazy partying again.
    He basically partied to the end 2017 into 2018, gets in trouble in New York that spring, few incidents in Dublin over the summer. Then he behaves like a complete tool in the lead-up to the Khabib fight in October, and subsequently gets mauled by him in the fight. He then parties for rest of 2018 and 2019 getting in trouble along the way. Since 2020 he has. Even mostly well behaved and kept his head down in Ireland and Dubai.

• Advertisement

That is all still to come though. 2015 was when he was charming, cheeky and likeable. And in the sport he rose to the top of the featherweight division, winning interim title in late summer and the real title in mid December.
    It is in 2016 when he fights Diaz twice, this is where he started to go way ott in the press conferences before the fights, and then in November he wins the lightweight belt at marquee event in MSG and becomes the champ-champ. And wins RTÉ sports personality that December.
    It’s then after this, so 2017 really, he is on an endless party celebrating his achievements of past 2 years, that he starts getting in trouble. He keeps the head down in the summer during fight camp for his boxing vs Mayweather, then after that fight and his mega money earnings he starts to go crazy partying again.
    He basically partied to the end 2017 into 2018, gets in trouble in New York that spring, few incidents in Dublin over the summer. Then he behaves like a complete tool in the lead-up to the Khabib fight in October, and subsequently gets mauled by him in the fight. He then parties for rest of 2018 and 2019 getting in trouble along the way. Since 2020 he has. Even mostly well behaved and kept his head down in Ireland and Dubai.

I can't believe he won sports personality. He spent the whole clip of him accepting the award saying how his breakfast is ready on the table when he gets up, how he doesn't wear the same clothes twice, how he's got so much money.

Not really who should be winning a personality award..

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I can't believe he won sports personality. He spent the whole clip of him accepting the award saying how his breakfast is ready on the table when he gets up, how he doesn't wear the same clothes twice, how he's got so much money.

Not really who should be winning a personality award..

RTÉ sent I forget her name over to America I think to present him it. Think it was America anyway. And he did a full interview with her. From what I remember he was on his best behavior for it, he was charming and engaging, and humble about his achievements, and very appreciative to get the award.
    I think he only started acting like a tool from 2017 onwards.

RTÉ sent I forget her name over to America I think to present him it. Think it was America anyway. And he did a full interview with her. From what I remember he was on his best behavior for it, he was charming and engaging, and humble about his achievements, and very appreciative to get the award.
    I think he only started acting like a tool from 2017 onwards.

No his whole shtick was "money"

Before his first ever UFC fight he said he was going to win and then go buy a fancy car and buy some expensive suits.

Excuse me, but I would say winning a world title in men’s mma/ufc is a far bigger achievement than winning a world title in women’s boxing. There is a very little worldwide interest in women’s boxing. And let’s be honest, we even go crazy if we win the olympics in horse jumping.
    Let’s see if they include him in 2016 episode when he became first person to hold 2 world titles at same time. He won sports personality of the year so they should.

Hate to break it to ya but there is very little interest in MMA too it's a fad.

And excuse me but it was 5 world titles an Olympic medal and pro belts. Also didn't act like a c*** after she won them

They should have McGregor but they didn't and won't just get over it. As I said earlier they didn't have Kelly either and cycling is a lot bigger than MMA

gmisk wrote: »
    I only saw this weekends episode tonight.
    I got quite emotional at the marriage equality part.
    It was such an amazing day, growing up I never thought I would see something like that in my lifetime.
    Now happily married since Nov 2019.

Have you watched Story of Yes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hate to break it to ya but there is very little interest in MMA too it's a fad.

Oh my....

• Advertisement

There was no coverage of McGregor winning the interim, followed by actual featherweight belts in ufc in the recent 2015 episode. Shows you the sports snobbery that exists in RTÉ, they know next to nothing about mma yet hero worship Katie Taylor for her boxing achievements.

Can't really blame RTE here. His behaviour has been absolutely shocking over the years. Other than his few fanboys, the rest of the country has cut him loose years ago. His moneyspinner with Mayweather compounding the empty shallow joke that he has become. I love seeing Irish athletes do well, but I make an exception for that egotist.

Katie Taylor on the other hand has been a fantastic champion and a brilliant ambassador for the nation with over 15 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

coinop wrote: »
    Deleted post.

I can also express my civil opinion that the comment is completely unnecessary and I would be worried about the type of house those children are growing up in, that is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

coinop wrote: »
    Deleted post.

How did it end?

Can't really blame RTE here. His behaviour has been absolutely shocking over the years. Other than his few fanboys, the rest of the country has cut him loose years ago. His moneyspinner with Mayweather compounding the empty shallow joke that he has become. I love seeing Irish athletes do well, but I make an exception for that egotist.

Katie Taylor on the other hand has been a fantastic champion and a brilliant ambassador for the nation with over 15 years now.

I don’t waste time thinking about the likes of McGregor

And Katie Taylor is indeed a great ambassador for the nation, and she is a great ambassador for sport too.

How did it end?

Same sex people smooching.

• Advertisement

Same sex people smooching.

Is that all?

That happens a lot on telly these days so I thought nobody was bothered anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thought there was a lot of filler in the first half of the episode but the second half was a lot better. As mentioned above I too found the referendum coverage quite emotional, think it helped a lot of gay people feel a lot more comfortable in their own skin.

I have to echo the comments about the inclusion of SOAK, whoever the hell she is. I don't have to know every piece of music played on the show, and nor do I feel every song has to be a top ten hit, but the airtime given to her was very odd and out of place. I'd bet that the vast, vast majority of viewers had never heard of her or the song, and to include a video clip, her real name and the album it came from for a largely unknown artist was strange. Smacked of either her being a personal favourite of one of the producers or perhaps a relative to someone at RTE.

Thought there was a lot of filler in the first half of the episode but the second half was a lot better. As mentioned above I too found the referendum coverage quite emotional, think it helped a lot of gay people feel a lot more comfortable in their own skin.

I have to echo the comments about the inclusion of SOAK, whoever the hell she is. I don't have to know every piece of music played on the show, and nor do I feel every song has to be a top ten hit, but the airtime given to her was very odd and out of place. I'd bet that the vast, vast majority of viewers had never heard of her or the song, and to include a video clip, her real name and the album it came from for a largely unknown artist was strange. Smacked of either her being a personal favourite of one of the producers or perhaps a relative to someone at RTE.

She’s well known to people who know a bit about the current Irish music scene, by that I mean mostly indie type music and gig friendly artists pre COVID. She won the choice music prize I believe for her debut album that year, that was a song from it. Think she has since had a 2nd album but it wasn’t so well received. She seems to be a fairly talented lady artistic wise.

I don’t waste time thinking about the likes of McGregor

And Katie Taylor is indeed a great ambassador for the nation, and she is a great ambassador for sport too.

Katie is indeed a savage at boxing. But women’s boxing is of little to no interest for most people in the world. I don’t think she is ever a headliner fight.
    MMA and the UFC promotion of it in particular, is one of the most popular sports in the world today. And like him or not, Mcgregor is still the biggest name in it. He may yet even reclaim the title before he stops fighting. I would say he is the biggest sports star that has ever come out of Ireland. I wish he didn’t go off the rails so much after 2017 JD that he kept fighting (not boxing) but I suppose in a sport as brutal as MMA you have to be a bit crazy to compete, let alone rise to the top.

Katie is indeed a savage at boxing. But women’s boxing is of little to no interest for most people in the world. I don’t think she is ever a headliner fight.
    MMA and the UFC promotion of it in particular, is one of the most popular sports in the world today. And like him or not, Mcgregor is still the biggest name in it. He may yet even reclaim the title before he stops fighting. I would say he is the biggest sports star that has ever come out of Ireland. I wish he didn’t go off the rails so much after 2017 JD that he kept fighting (not boxing) but I suppose in a sport as brutal as MMA you have to be a bit crazy to compete, let alone rise to the top.

Honestly not nearly as many people like MMA in Ireland as you think they do. Even around the world I would say it's only big in a few demographics.

Rising to the top of lots of sports is a bit crazy. Taylor is getting the head punched off her too and Roche was climbing 1000s of metres a day on some stages to win the Tour. Plenty of hard men in rugby too who are not complete k***s so that's no excuse

If put to a vote or survey I don't think McGregor would come close to Taylor amongst Irish people.

She’s well known to people who know a bit about the current Irish music scene, by that I mean mostly indie type music and gig friendly artists pre COVID. She won the choice music prize I believe for her debut album that year, that was a song from it. Think she has since had a 2nd album but it wasn’t so well received. She seems to be a fairly talented lady artistic wise.
    They're a huge improvement on the likes of 1 Direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Have you watched Story of Yes ?
    I haven't is that the doc about it? Do you know where it is available? Thanks would love to see it

gmisk wrote: »
    I haven't is that the doc about it? Do you know where it is available? Thanks would love to see it

It's on Netflix or at least it used to be.

Edit: not any more but it's on the RTE player

I wonder if the SOAK thing is because she's transgender.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I wonder if the SOAK thing is because she's transgender.

*non-binary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Honestly not nearly as many people like MMA in Ireland as you think they do. Even around the world I would say it's only big in a few demographics.

Rising to the top of lots of sports is a bit crazy. Taylor is getting the head punched off her too and Roche was climbing 1000s of metres a day on some stages to win the Tour. Plenty of hard men in rugby too who are not complete k***s so that's no excuse

If put to a vote or survey I don't think McGregor would come close to Taylor amongst Irish people.

I don't think the Irish people in general like either of them to be honest.

I don't think the Irish people in general like either of them to be honest.

Until it came up in this thread I have never met a single person does not like Taylor. Honestly never a bad word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Until it came up in this thread I have never met a single person does not like Taylor. Honestly never a bad word

It's going way on topic now and we won't dwell on it. I know a few McGregor fans and they'd all be lets just say tough lads. I never really met anybody who like Taylor tough. They'd all says she's good at what she does but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

If you think MMA isn't popular world wide I don't know what to tell you other than it's obvious you just haven't got a clue what you're talking about. It is massive worldwide, way, way bigger than women's boxing. Why do you think the most popular fighting style in it is called 'brazilian jiu jitsu'? That's because its a hugely popular sport in a huge country (Brazil). It's also massive in Thailand, America, Mexico, Russia, Poland. If you look at a worldwide sports network like espn it's covered widely on there because of this.

They make huge money on pay per view events for the UFC. No one would ever pay to watch a woman's boxing match. Pubs in my town had lock ins to watch Conor fight. That would not happen with a Taylor fight. Watching her win another fight on points isn't going to set hearts racing in fairness

I also think you're confusing being morally upstanding and likable with warranting inclusion in the show. The villains should be included, too and in the show's coverage of politics they basically only cover the baddies so I don't get it.

Conor is a much bigger star than Katie and both their stories should be in the show.

If you think MMA isn't popular world wide I don't know what to tell you other than it's obvious you just haven't got a clue what you're talking about. It is massive worldwide, way, way bigger than women's boxing. Why do you think the most popular fighting style in it is called 'brazilian jiu jitsu'? That's because its a hugely popular sport in a huge country (Brazil). It's also massive in Thailand, America, Mexico, Russia, Poland. If you look at a worldwide sports network like espn it's covered widely on there because of this.

They make huge money on pay per view events for the UFC. No one would ever pay to watch a woman's boxing match. Pubs in my town had lock ins to watch Conor fight. That would not happen with a Taylor fight. Watching her win another fight on points isn't going to set hearts racing in fairness

I also think you're confusing being morally upstanding and likable with warranting inclusion in the show. The villains should be included, too and in the show's coverage of politics they basically only cover the baddies so I don't get it.

Conor is a much bigger star than Katie and both their stories should be in the show.

UFC is bigger than womens boxing worldwide alright but I thought this was about an Irish TV show so I dont care what Thai people think on the matter really. I have always said he should be included but sometimes stuff isnt and its not a big deal or RTE conspiracy and I certainly dont think many people even noticed.

The only thing either of them have done that I would say definitely it would be a crime was her gold medal. It was like the moon landing in town with people running to pubs during work and hanging round electronic store windows to see the fight (mad how much our phones have changed in 10 years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Charming and likeable he ain't and never was.

Just had a look at the 2016 listen list on Spotify. A lot of it is predictable, but I did spot "Castles" by Saint Sister in there.

Just had a look at the 2016 listen list on Spotify. A lot of it is predictable, but I did spot "Castles" by Saint Sister in there.

Ah dont be spoiling it for people

Ah dont be spoiling it for people

The "Listen List" is a longer list of songs. Some make it into the show and some don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The "Listen List" is a longer list of songs. Some make it into the show and some don't.

Can you link me to the listen list please? Couldn't find it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Rubbish, Taylor gets coverage for the novelty factor or her being a woman boxer and the fact we have nobody else

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Rubbish, Taylor gets coverage for the novelty factor or her being a woman boxer and the fact we have nobody else

You can throw that at plenty of other female athletes and it might stick but you are just talking sad little BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Apart from showing the first game in the aviva what does domestic football have to do to get shown on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MMA is VERY VERY niche.

It is Barely played even after mcg’s success.

Most ppl have zero interest.

Of the ppl who ARE aware of mma lot of them openly sneer at it and say it’s savagery and brutality.

Boxing on the other hand has a long storied history and especially in Ireland.

Going back over 100 years.

Katie would be a bigger “star” in terms of recognisability in Ireland, due to her achievements.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Apart from showing the first game in the aviva what does domestic football have to do to get shown on the show.

A few people were saying at the start of the season that it should be a 45 minute show to give a bit more space. LOI is pretty small in terms of support so may not get in every year by the people picking but European progress or certain memorable seasons could get a mention. I personally would be more than happy to see the LOI champions mentioned every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Irish Unification 2024

As mentioned in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode The High Ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

You can throw that at plenty of other female athletes and it might stick but you are just talking sad little BS

Do we have any other boxers of note ?
    I'll give you a hint, No we don't

Did we have any female boxers of note before Katie's emergence ?, have we since ?
    Again that'd be No and No.

It's great when Katie does well, it's great when anyone does well but your perspective must be fair and balanced to be beneficial.

If anyone is sad, it's probably you because I called out the BS over Katie's status in reference to other athletes.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Do we have any other boxers of note ?
    I'll give you a hint, No we don't

Did we have any female boxers of note before Katie's emergence ?, have we since ?
    Again that'd be No and No.

It's great when Katie does well, it's great when anyone does well but your perspective must be fair and balanced to be beneficial.

If anyone is sad, it's probably you because I called out the BS over Katie's status in reference to other athletes.

There wasn't any women's boxing before Taylor so there could not have been an Irish star before. It was only sanctioned in 2001 and Taylor was in the first ever fight card. Since Kellie Harrington has done really well but not to the same level.

Every article, vote or survey she is right up there whether or not women's boxing is big she is in the same way that people who have no clue about athletics know Sonia O'Sullivan

Historically we have plenty of boxers of note but not right now so I'm not sure what the point is there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Euro 2016 was great at the time, but given we had to beat an already qualified team to finish third in the group, it's aged badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement