Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling In The Years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hey snowflake, I already told you that I fell like that twice this year , the first time was in January and I was almost knocked out & in front of my work colleagues, I still have problems with my shoulder. Do I think it's funny? Absolutely! Maybe it's just the way I'm wired. You must feel deeply disturbing when watching "you've been framed:

What difference does it make that it was in front of your work colleagues. Did they make fun of you and did your Mommy have to come down and kiss it better?

The clip is hilarious.

Hey snowflake, I already told you that I fell like that twice this year , the first time was in January and I was almost knocked out & in front of my work colleagues, I still have problems with my shoulder. Do I think it's funny? Absolutely! Maybe it's just the way I'm wired. You must feel deeply disturbing when watching "you've been framed:

Your the one getting hot and bothered here about someone else's opinion :D, I'm not sure why you are using the term snowflake when it is actually yourself that is getting in a stew over someone else offering a different point of view.

So if I didn't find any given comedians stand up funny, does that actually make me a snowflake or just someone looking at it from a different perspective? If I had asked for it to be banned on the other hand you'd have every right to call me a snowflake except I haven't done that so your use of the term is out of context but head injuries will do that I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

People act as though the IMF coming in was some tragedy. I wish they were permanently running the place. Would protect the country from the lefty populism like the Greens suggestion today of increasing the dole by €50 per week. Sure that's just what this country needs, more handouts for the welfare class!

A technocracy run with taxpayer value for money in mind is the ideal form of government.

Swaine wrote: »
    I'm not a slowflake in the slightest but do not find that fall funny at all. He could have been seriously hurt. I'm sure this guy didn't or still wants the whole country laughing at his dangerous fall.

I just don't get why folk find it funny.

Calling people snowflakes for holding that opinion is so childish

How to try win an argument in 2021. if you don't agree with someones opinion, tar them with a slur :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The ridiculous tv3 version " don' look back in anger" constantly got the music wrong, ie a year previous or after. Very frustrating

This episode of RITY did make one mistake. Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" wasn't released until 2011.

• Advertisement

People act as though the IMF coming in was some tragedy. I wish they were permanently running the place. Would protect the country from the lefty populism like the Greens suggestion today of increasing the dole by €50 per week. Sure that's just what this country needs, more handouts for the welfare class!

A technocracy run with taxpayer value for money in mind is the ideal form of government.

After Irish people fighting so hard for our independence, 90 years earlier, I can fully understand the sheer frustration at our financial sovereignty just being handed over (granted we had gone to the point of no return in terms of the mess our economy was in).

I agree on your point on the left, and it seems we have proved we are not fit to run ourselves since our independence, but I don't know how unelected bureaucrats from across the world are going to meet the needs of the Irish tax payer. In fairness, I did like Chopra from the IMF. I always got a sense from him that he didn't like the austerity that was about to happen the country.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Ukp1dwISkT4

They did a follow up

Not actually him.

Edit to add: I think most of us took a wallop on the ice that year. He got up and brushed it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Not actually him.

100% him

100% him

That's a member of the Hardy Bucks. It was a joke video.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

100% him

It literally says in the description of the video that he was being played by Kevin McGahern...

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    What difference does it make that it was in front of your work colleagues. Did they make fun of you and did your Mommy have to come down and kiss it better?

The clip is hilarious.

I know!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Was it good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ok boomer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Remember Mario Rosenstock doing comical impressions of Constantin as a Blofeld cat-lover, and a very crumpled Vincent Browne? :D

Barry Murphys impression on apres match around that time is the best Vincent Browne by a mile

Truly hope they include Vincent Browne's storming of Gorse Hill in the 2015 episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Was it good?

Great episode tonight, really brought you back to 11 years ago, very well made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Great clip of your man falling. Happened to me walking the dog earlier in the year. As far as I know I got away with it and nobody saw!

Or maybe someone recorded it and you'll be on the 2021 edition of RITY in 2031.

100% him

No it's not, it's actor Kevin McGahern. He was in Smother tonight and is famous for playing Sim Card in the Hardy Bucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

sugarman wrote: »
    What a deeply depressing year 2010 was.

Has nothing on 2020 to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

This episode of RITY did make one mistake. Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" wasn't released until 2011.
    according to wikipedia was released in November 2010 but album wasn't released until January 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

trashcan wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

trashcan wrote: »

Already looking forward to 2030

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Already looking forward to 2030

When aliens are in charge.

When aliens are in charge.

:D They'd still be better than those feckin Black and Tans :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Indeed! The pedant in me wanted to point it out earlier but I let it go. I guess in their defence it was released for radio play in December 2010, but it's still wasn't officially released until 2011.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's "you're" not "your"

The grammar needs a little assistance

Can ye please put this argument to bed, nobody gives a shít.

43000 'Ghost' housing units in 2010 and just a few years later we are in a fully-fledged housing crisis......how on earth has this happened?? What happened to the ghost estates?

Can ye please put this argument to bed, nobody gives a shít.

Ah its sorted don't worry. She ran out of insults and straw man arguments.. She's probably cooling off somewhere :D

Apple's device unveiling seemed to be very cult-like events. Granted probably a lot of shareholders in the room who were seeing dollar signs flashing

• Advertisement

They were wrong on the England v Germany score. It was 4-1 Germany. RITY said 5-1. Christ that's a quick google search and yet they managed to release the program without rectifying :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

43000 'Ghost' housing units in 2010 and just a few years later we are in a fully-fledged housing crisis......how on earth has this happened?? What happened to the ghost estates?

They were/are in places people don't want to live.

jhegarty wrote: »
    They were/are in places people don't want to live.

It's madness how they got the go-ahead to begin with. If you or I, tried to start a business in the morning, we'd have to have an in-depth Business plan.
    Even then we would have to prove that what we weren't doing was lunacy. That it was sound and would see an eventual return on investment. These developers were handed money like giving smarties to a child. It's still mind-boggling all these years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They were wrong on the England v Germany score. It was 4-1 Germany. RITY said 5-1. Christ that's a quick google search and yet they managed to release the program without rectifying :rolleyes:

Pretty sloppy that all right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I genuinely find it disturbing how people find that clip so amusing. That was a nasty, nasty fall. Could have been killed instantly.

Couldn't agree more. And while we're at it.

I think it was disrespectful to show the nasty nasty Haitian earthquake. So many people killed. That might have upset some survivors to make them relive the event.

And that economic collapse was nasty nasty. Lots of people were suicidal at that time. It would have been triggering to relive it.

And the Rubberbandits song. That recalls a nasty nasty time of discrimination for the travelling community. People shouldn't be laughing at that.

And the Chilean miners. That was a nasty nasty accident. They could have all been killed instantly. We shouldn't really force them to watch that again.

And Gerry Ryan passing. Dying alone is a nasty nasty way to go. A lot of people are still very upset over that. It really shouldn't have been shown.

And that icelandic volcano was a nasty nasty situation for the people of iceland. If it was a bigger eruption they could have been killed instantly.

No they shouldn't have shown any of that nasty nasty stuff and instead just focused on the good news stories like John Delaney opening the Aviv.....oh wait.

Would you ever grow up and stop taking things so seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I had only heard two of those songs before and one of those was the Rubber Bandits one. No idea who the other artists were. By 2010, either I had gotten old or mainstream music had become rubbish and far less important in popular culture than it used to be.

The music is critical to the impact of the programme.

Also, it seemed to me (may be wrong) that there was more "talking" in this edition. I presume that all or most of the same team produced this edition as produced the previous editions and will have tried to keep the format as consistent as possible - if possible

Another thought I had was that in the modern era of social media, smartphones, 24 hour news channels and being always on, world events might actually be less memorable than the events from the past as everyone is jumping from one thing to the next

I was watching 1982 for the gazillionth time recently - Falklands War, snow, IRA bombs, elections, GUBU, Seamus Darby and TAR-DELLI - some contrast

One was Rihanna & Eminem who are both huge and definitely important to pop culture. Your one from Paramore was there too who were huge at the time.The 60/70/80sones were full of crap music too like Dana and the Nolans or that "My Irish Molly" crap in 82

I do miss the adverts that the whole country would know cause we only had a few channels

2010 had snow, plenty of politics and Tipp stopping a 5 in a row attept from probably the greatest ever hurling team.

Try watch next week while not simultaneously shouting at clouds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

BrentMused wrote: »
    Do these go up on RTÈ Player guys?

RITY 2031:

2021 "Somebody actually gets to watch a full episode of RITY 2010 on the RTE Player without the f*cking thing crashing after ten minutes of ads".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

2011 next week, off the top of my head FF get their ass handed to them in the general election, Amy Winehouse passes away, news of the world winds up after phone hacking scandal, Ireland quality for Euro 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They were mostly finished off i think

touts wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. And while we're at it.

I think it was disrespectful to show the nasty nasty Haitian earthquake. So many people killed. That might have upset some survivors to make them relive the event.

And that economic collapse was nasty nasty. Lots of people were suicidal at that time. It would have been triggering to relive it.

And the Rubberbandits song. That recalls a nasty nasty time of discrimination for the travelling community. People shouldn't be laughing at that.

And the Chilean miners. That was a nasty nasty accident. They could have all been killed instantly. We shouldn't really force them to watch that again.

And Gerry Ryan passing. Dying alone is a nasty nasty way to go. A lot of people are still very upset over that. It really shouldn't have been shown.

And that icelandic volcano was a nasty nasty situation for the people of iceland. If it was a bigger eruption they could have been killed instantly.

No they shouldn't have shown any of that nasty nasty stuff and instead just focused on the good news stories like John Delaney opening the Aviv.....oh wait.

Would you ever grow up and stop taking things so seriously.

Ah yes, they are the exact same thing as finding a man slipping on ice funny :rolleyes:

If you or the other poster had actually bothered to read my post, my exact wording is that I could never understand how people found that incident so amusing. To me it looked a nasty enough fall. One that made me grimace rather than laugh. it was expressing a simple point of view. All of those things on your list were absolutely tragic and of course they were going to be mentioned on the program. I've no issue with anything being featured on the program. I never stated such.

You mention triggered and you're getting yourself in knots over what??? Someone saying they didn't find the man slipping on ice funny??? That they had another perspective??? And yet you think you are the one protecting freedom of expression. The irony is hilarious :D

That's a member of the Hardy Bucks. It was a joke video.

Definitely him

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    It literally says in the description of the video that he was being played by Kevin McGahern...

No, it's him alright

No it's not, it's actor Kevin McGahern. He was in Smother tonight and is famous for playing Sim Card in the Hardy Bucks

It's the guy that slipped on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I didn`t see the programme last night. Did the Brian Cowen Garglegate saga in 2010 get a mention? I remember it was a big news story at the time.

I didn`t see the programme last night. Did the Brian Cowen garglegate saga in 2010 get a mention? I remember it was a big news story at the time.

It did indeed.

2011 next week, off the top of my head FF get their ass handed to them in the general election, Amy Winehouse passes away, news of the world winds up after phone hacking scandal, Ireland quality for Euro 2012.

I very much doubt that will be featured in RITY.

I very much doubt that will be featured in RITY.

Cant see why not. The paper was circulated in Ireland and the story was pretty much global

Cant see why not. The paper was circulated in Ireland and the story was pretty much global

Absolutely agree, it was massive news, it will most definitely get a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

One thing that could have been mentioned was Guns N Roses shambles in the Three Arena, I remember following this thread on the night and it was pure gold.

That was a great gig. Not the way "great" gigs are supposed to go obviously but so much fun. Chaos.

2011 was a very busy year from an Irish point of view. A lot of events to fit in a 25 minute programme. I would be very surprised if that is featured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Do you think Reeling in the Years would be better as an hour long programme? Like they could break it up with retro ads etc, as if they were a read ad break (or before the actual ad break).

• Advertisement
Advertisement