Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling In The Years

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

No mention of Amy Winehouse either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

onform wrote: »
    That Imelda May song ("Inside Out"). How many people would think of that as one of the big hits of 2011? I don't remember it at all.

Was just going to post this.

Didn't remember the song at all, and looking back on it now, her look back then was cringy.

Then again I always get annoyed at the older Reeling of the Years when they have to show a Boomtown Rats video of a song no-one else recalls :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

That Imelda May song ("Inside Out"). How many people would think of that as one of the big hits of 2011? I don't remember it at all.

I went to check on something in the oven.
    Did they mention the plane crash at Cork airport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How could they leave out News of the World collapsing and Ireland qualifying for their 1st major soccer tournament in a decade, it was also a rugby world cup year, they've overdone the recession in these 2 episodes IMO would like a bit more pop culture, sport etc.

Wonder will there be RTE player clips showing those moments

all quiet iconic tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

No mention of Amy Winehouse either.
    criminal really onto Line of Duty now...

• Advertisement

I went to check on something in the oven.
    Did they mention the plane crash at Cork airport?

They did not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Episode was a little disappointing when you realise all the stuff that was left out

What was the editor thinking ?

And the 'forgot you' song at the start was definitely from 2010, I came home from a J1 in August 2010 and i remember it been on the radio non stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Episode was a little disappointing when you realise all the stuff that was left out

What was the editor thinking ?

The recession, government, church, Michael D, the church and a mix of those again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Elections make a huge part of the 80s episodes so can understand it.
    The 2011 presidential election campaign took up far too long.

Would be a fairly depressing episode if you included Cork airport crash & Amy Winehouse death too.

• Advertisement

Didn't remember the song at all, and looking back on it now, her look back then was cringy.

Then again I always get annoyed at the older Reeling of the Years when they have to show a Boomtown Rats video of a song no-one else recalls :D

Almost as bad as her poetry

Mary Lou has put on some timber since then. A few snack boxes were had in the last 10 years I'd say.

She wintered well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

I don’t remember it myself but they always feature an Irish song that often isn’t considered that big a hit afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Hopefully the scenes of unemployment lines and misery in 2011 makes people feel a little more grateful for the booming economy with full employment achieved just before Covid hit.

What am i thinking, instead the young will continue to be ungrateful little brats and vote for thugs with terrorist/criminal connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

breezy1985 wrote: »
    There was a couple of years in the 00s that seemed to be nothing but Westlife songs and celebrities. But I think that fact that the 00s were mostly a decade of vacant consumerist crap rather than being a sudden problem with the production of RITY

I loved tonight’s episode. So thankful they got away from all that Louis Walsh muck. There were a good few episodes where boyzone, westlife and other crap from Louis Walsh seemed to take up half the episode.

I thought it was grand, can’t fit in everything.

Hopefully the scenes of unemployment lines and misery in 2011 makes people feel a little more grateful for the booming economy with full employment achieved just before Covid hit.

What am i thinking, instead the young will continue to be ungrateful little brats and vote for thugs with terrorist/criminal connections.

I agree with your second point, but I don't think the economy created by FG is anything to celebrate at the same time. What they have created in essence is a gig economy. And the HSE is still a mess. You are right though in your suggestion that the alternative is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

No Bin Laden capture/death too.
    That famous photo in the White House

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

I don’t remember it myself but they always feature an Irish song that often isn’t considered that big a hit afaik

Microdisney, Town to Town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Yeah, they should be grateful to be handing over more than half their wages to FF/FG-voting landlords.

888.jpg

• Advertisement

I thought it was grand, can’t fit in everything.
    you can't fit in everything but you can devote less time to the recession and presidential campaign to fit it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rihanna was such a tramp

Jaysus.

you can't fit in everything but you can devote less time to the recession and presidential campaign to fit it more.

RTE love Miggledy-Piggeldy. They even engineered a fake tweet to help get him into the Aras. No surprise they will devote time to his victory

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yeah nice thread, derogatory comment about a female politician and then another about a female musician. Looks like little has changed since the first run of the programme featuring the 1960s.

The appearance of Armin Tamzarian on the thread cheered me up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

How could they leave out News of the World collapsing and Ireland qualifying for their 1st major soccer tournament in a decade, it was also a rugby world cup year, they've overdone the recession in these 2 episodes IMO would like a bit more pop culture, sport etc.

As I predicted it wouldn`t be. Not that big a story really.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wonder will there be RTE player clips showing those moments

all quiet iconic tbh

No there won`t be.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Most striking to me was that the episode did a poor job of conveying the anger and uncertainty of the time. Only a few seconds of footage of protests and scuffles.

Well that episode certainly can't be accused of the same omission!

2011 was notably more eventful than 2010 - you'd think Web Summit wouldn't have made the cut if it had been a year later! But I still think they could have made room for events like Bin Laden's capture and Steve Job's death. Someone else mentioned the plane crash in Cork that killed six people, which would have only taken up ten seconds. The Guard is one of the best Irish films of late, which would have added a bit of variety. Having won the Heineken Cup two years earlier, I didn't think the Leinster comeback win deserved inclusion ahead of the national team at the world cup.

Far bigger story than Niall Horan buying his ma a car.

I'll respectfully disagree that was a huge story, the passing of Amy Winehouse and the crash of the Belfast to Cork flight not big stories either?

• Advertisement

Well that episode certainly can't be accused of the same omission!

2011 was notably more eventful than 2010 - you'd think Web Summit wouldn't have made the cut if it had been a year later! But I still think they could have made room for events like Bin Laden's capture and Steve Job's death. Someone else mentioned the plane crash in Cork that killed six people, which would have only taken up ten seconds. The Guard is one of the best Irish films of late, which would have added a bit of variety. Having won the Heineken Cup two years earlier, I didn't think the Leinster comeback win deserved inclusion ahead of the national team at the world cup.

RTE have only ever shown one Rugby World Cup clip on RITY which was when Ireland came close to beating Australia in the 1991 QF. I doubt there will be any in this series either.

I'll respectfully disagree that was a huge story, the passing of Amy Winehouse and the crash of the Belfast to Cork flight not big stories either?

If Gordon Brown's bigot gaffe was worthy of inclusion, the culmination of the phone hacking scandal certainly was.

Osama bin Laden too! Unreal that they didn't even give that a mention, he was probably the world's most wanted.

Look a celebrity dies every year. As far as I recall the only music related ones whose deaths have featured in RITY have been Elvis, John Lennon and Michael Jackson. You think Amy Winehouse was on the same global level as any of those to deserve a mention?

Look a celebrity dies every year. As far as I recall the only music related ones whose deaths have featured in RITY have been Elvis, John Lennon and Michael Jackson. You think Amy Winehouse was on the same global level as any of those to deserve a mention?
    tbf she was only 28 so taught based on that alone it would be included,no taughts on the leaving out the plane crash?

Wonder what we'll see next week, there was a US presidential election and we were rubbish at Euro 2012. There was series 3 of love hate which I taught was the best series, the IRA series you could call it.

• Advertisement

tbf she was only 28 so taught based on that alone it would be included,no taughts on the leaving out the plane crash?

27, she's in the 27 club.

27, she's in the 27 club.
    tip of the hat to you, 27 and 10 months according to wikipedia.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Amy Winehouse had sold over 6 million albums while alive and I remember her songs were all over the radio between 2006-8, she was a big cultural figure at the time, I suppose Kurt Cobain's death wasn't mentioned in the 1994 edition either.

tip of the hat to you, 27 and 10 months according to wikipedia.

Honestly I only know that because of the legend of the "27 club".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Yeah nice thread, derogatory comment about a female politician and then another about a female musician. Looks like little has changed since the first run of the programme featuring the 1960s.

The appearance of Armin Tamzarian on the thread cheered me up though.
    If you are talking about my comment on a female politician I would have typed the exact same thing if it was a male politician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

i certainly be left reeling in those years.

Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Brian Jones, Kurt Cobain etc etc all died at a young age too and none of their deaths got a mention on RITY. As for the plane crash OK it was tragic but only so much can be fitted into a 25 minute running time programme. As I stated previously it should probably be extended to 45 minutes and even then a lot of big stories of the time would be left out.

If you are talking about my comment on a female politician I would have typed the exact same thing if it was a male politician.

Why didn't you then, James Reilly who was the then Minister for Health and Noonan former Minister in the same Department hardly represent the best examples of a fit and healthy Minister in the health brief, more significantly their policies and performance in the Department were quite detrimental to the public health system.

Amy Winehouse had sold over 6 million albums while alive and I remember her songs were all over the radio between 2006-8, she was a big cultural figure at the time, I suppose Kurt Cobain's death wasn't mentioned in the 1994 edition either.

No it wasn`t.

more significantly their policies and performance in the Department were quite detrimental to the public health system.

Is that right?! I’ll take your word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why didn't you then, James Reilly who was the then Minister for Health and Noonan former Minister in the same Department hardly represent the best examples of a fit and healthy Minister in the health brief, more significantly their policies and performance in the Department were quite detrimental to the public health system.
    I'm not going to argue with you I get your point but we don't know each other but I can can promise you every female in my life will tell you I have never been derogatory in my 41 years on this planet towards any woman. I'll leave it at that as I don't want to de rail the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

RTE love Miggledy-Piggeldy. They even engineered a fake tweet to help get him into the Aras. No surprise they will devote time to his victory
    That election was great craic. Glad it got plenty of time
    Far bigger story than Niall Horan buying his ma a car.
    The always have a bit of this light stuff thrown in
    If the ""musician "" ( halirious) didnt prance around with her tits out in a field in Belfast I wouldn't have made a derogatory comment , she showed absolutely no respect for herself and why should I?
    Why is getting naked not showing respect for yourself ?
    Its my lack of respect for my body that makes me put clothes on and the day that DUP lad who owned the farm kicked off about a naked Rihanna was the day I knew for sure that unionists were gone beyond reason
    Of all the people too to throw this ""musician"" crap at I wouldnt say its her. Its not a type of music I like but she is good at it
    RTE have only ever shown one Rugby World Cup clip on RITY which was when Ireland came close to beating Australia in the 1991 QF. I doubt there will be any in this series either.
    We qualify automatically and then do FA when we get there. Would be like if they showed the Irish cycling team be average at the world championships every year
    When its a popular song people whinge and when its obscure well people whinge. I think some watch this show just to put it down
    Osama bin Laden too! Unreal that they didn't even give that a mention, he was probably the world's most wanted.
    Surprising and maybe it could have been stuck in next to Gaddafi and I think it shows that with all the footage available for modern seasons it should be a 45min show. Great episode all the same

I'm not going to argue with you I get your point but we don't know each other but I can can promise you every female in my life will tell you I have never been derogatory in my 41 years on this planet towards any woman. I'll leave it at that as I don't want to de rail the thread.

I don't intend to derail the thread either but I thought there was no need for the comment and I will always call out anyone making cowardly comments about women. I may not agree with her political views but it's challenging enough attracting females into politics without having to be judged on appearance also.

I'll leave it there too.

Next weeks music, I'll guess:

We Take Care Of Our Own - Bruce Springsteen
    Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepson
    Some Rihanna, she was ubiquitous at the time
    Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
    Ho Hey - Lumineers

Next weeks music, I'll guess:

We Take Care Of Our Own - Bruce Springsteen
    Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepson
    Some Rihanna, she was ubiquitous at the time
    Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
    Ho Hey - Lumineers
    A Calvin Harris tune potentially and always an obligatory song or 2 from an Irish act.

• Advertisement
Advertisement