Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown - can i get bushes trimmed and lawn mowed?

Options
  • 18-03-2021 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

I need to get a hedge trimmed and our lawn mowed. I am just wondering if gardeners are working at the moment (with lockdown etc.)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

CarPark2 wrote: »
    I need to get a hedge trimmed and our lawn mowed. I am just wondering if gardeners are working at the moment (with lockdown etc.)?

As far as I'm aware restrictions don't stop trades people taking on work in private homes, I guess you could contact whomever you normally use or contractors to confirm if they are available

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I'm sure you'll find plenty willing to work for you. Lot's of "non-essential" people are continuing to work regardless of government guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll find plenty willing to work for you. Lot's of "non-essential" people are continuing to work regardless of government guidelines.

I'm sure the OP just concerned about adhering to the guidelines?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You will also need to be aware of restrictions on hedge cutting between March and August, see here

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You will also need to be aware of restrictions on hedge cutting between March and August, see here

Hedge cutting restrictions dont apply to a private garden.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cuculainn wrote: »

That's good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Dempo1 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware restrictions don't stop trades people taking on work in private homes, I guess you could contact whomever you normally use or contractors to confirm if they are available

Gardening is not on the essential trades and services list.

Builders “shouldn’t” be taking on general work (emergency repairs allowed) so why should gardeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Had a bit of work done here. Over the last few weeks. Rang a tiler for example and was told that because my lino was lifting due to a leak it was a trip hazard and tiling the floor was essential work. Yet cant get the back yard drained and Concreted due to the water not coming into the house.

Is the hedge along a road way ? Could you make the point if pulled up on it that it may be a hazard to passing cars ?

At then end of the day somebody can come and mow your lawn and cut your hedges without you evening speaking to them face to face. It may not be essential but it can be done safely and COVID risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been talking to landscapers recently in the hopes of lining someone up for when lockdown ends, most of them are not working at the moment. I haven't succeeded in getting anyone because I live rural, but that's a different problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

cuculainn wrote: »

Not sure how true that is - this was linked on a recent thread on here:

https://greennews.ie/closedseason-hedgerow-cutting2020/

As I said, I'm not sure which viewpoint is correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'm sure if the gardener doing the work lives less than five kilometres from you, maintains social distance and doesn't come into the house all will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭CarPark2

Thanks. The guy who normally looks after the lawn would probably do it if i asked him, but i don't want to put him in an awkward position, so i just wanted to figure out the rules.
    It was also my interpretation that it is not on the list of essential services, but in a way it seems a bit mad considering it is conducted outside and is only one person (or him and his son who already live together).

Advertisement