Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deliveroo, UBER, Just Eat etc - marking up prices

Options
  • 18-03-2021 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭

I noticed recently that a few of the delivery sites, especially Uber and Deliveroo, for certain takeaways, have higher prices on the food items than the takeaways themselves.

For example, Wow Burger is €6.45 for their burger. But it's €8.40 on Uber and Deliveroo. Then they charge their delivery fee.

Is it in any way contrary to consumer law to hike up the prices compared to the actual takeaway official prices? In effect, what they are doing is pulling the wool over people's eyes. If the prices remained the proper price, and they hiked it onto the delivery free, people would stand up and notice very quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No, there is no magical "proper" price. They can charge different prices on each platform, as long as the price you see when ordering is what you get charged then they are doing nothing wrong.

Usually this is the restaurant adding the online platform's cut onto the final price rather than taking the hit themselves.

If you want the restaurant's prices then cut out the middleman and order from them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It's the take away themselves who set the price, not Deliveroo, Just-Eat etc.

Deliveroo then charges the take away a fee per order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I noticed recently that a few of the delivery sites, especially Uber and Deliveroo, for certain takeaways, have higher prices on the food items than the takeaways themselves.

Deliveroo/JustEAT/Uber etc do not set or control the prices, the restaurants do.
    Is it in any way contrary to consumer law to hike up the prices compared to the actual takeaway official prices?

Any business (unless regulated) can change prices as and when they see fit, some even varies prices daily, or have different prices at different times of the day, Cinema's (if they ever reopen) have lower off peak prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Wow Burger is one that really increases their prices on 3rd party sites, the majority don't in fairness. I just order directly from their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks all. The line I received from Wow Burger directly suggested it was the delivery sites, but what you say makes sense.

"Yes, Just Eat and Uber Eats add their own charges onto the menu items, so the cheapest option is to order directly with us; in person or on our website"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

This is a long standing practice. I usually decide what I want to eat on just eat and then order directly. 2/3 of my favourite places do a 10th order free plus a 20% discount if you don't order for a month.

AFAIK Just-Eat charge 14% to the takeaways and I'm sure I read somewhere that either they or Uber Eats were looking 30% from somewhere.
    The restaurants have fairly high margins to begin with but the platforms really work them down.

Deliveroo/JustEAT/Uber etc do not set or control the prices, the restaurants do.

Any business (unless regulated) can change prices as and when they see fit, some even varies prices daily, or have different prices at different times of the day, Cinema's (if they ever reopen) have lower off peak prices.

Yes, take your point. But I was asking on the basis of Deliveroo/Uber changing the takeaways prices, as Wow Burger had (falsely it seems) alluded they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

It has always been the case, as people mentioned above Deliveroo, UBER, Just Eat take a cut from the order. So the take away hikes the price rather than taking the hit. The delivery charge is for the delivery personal, albeit the service will take a cut from the driver too..

Either order from the takeaways site/app or pickup from the takeaway directly. I would avoid using these service as they have way too much power over the takeaways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Yes, take your point. But I was asking on the basis of Deliveroo/Uber changing the takeaways prices, as Wow Burger had (falsely it seems) alluded they were doing.

Wow Burger and others are trying to recover platform fees so their price list on platform apps is different to account for that. Order directly, that's what I do!
    Platforms charge the restaurant (cut of food charge) as well as the customer (delivery fee).

• Advertisement

I guess it is a predicament for the takeaways - the cut they have to pay, or inflate costs to recoup, versus using their own websites, which won't have as much traffic as the delivery sites. All a balancing act I suppose, and there are plenty of people happy to log onto just eat/uber etc, if they have accounts with them.

Will go direct, unless I get the odd voucher for the others! Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The old adage of shopping around still applies.

i notice there is usually a restaurant on just eat offering a 10,15 or 20% discount too - so if you are not loyal to one takeaway you can take advantage of that too. and you can often get a just eat discount code id you keep your eyes open.

its well worth getting to know if your fav restaurant has a website or app, and compare prices to just eat - i like the idea the takeaway gets a bigger cut - seems fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Craig_David

Trying to order from mc donalds using just eat.. When I put in my eircode, it says it doesn't deliver to my area.
    But the McDonalds is only like 2-3 km from me. Whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Trying to order from mc donalds using just eat.. When I put in my eircode, it says it doesn't deliver to my area.
    But the McDonalds is only like 2-3 km from me. Whats that about?

I know of one McDonalds with a 1.5km delivery radius. Thier delivery people are on push bikes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Justeat charges my buddy about 25% of all orders. So you spend 30 euro, shop only gets 23 euro. Do not use justeat, order direct.

I ordered food the other night and the driver pointed out Tuesday is buy 1 get 1 free. As I used justeat, I lost out.

I was peed off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was told by someone in the know that restaurants don’t make much money from these platforms. At least I think he is in the know. I know that’s not what you asked.

Advertisement