Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants using Pets as excuse to stay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Countryboy2018

What you need to do now straight away is to take out a dispute for Vadility of your own notice that your have already served on your tenants.
    By doing this you will get your date for an Adjudication hearing, therefore you will get your Determination order sooner rather than having to wait for ban on evictions to end and then your tenants to overhold ,which they will more than likely do.
    Do it now and dont waste any more time.
    It’s not your responsibility to find them somewhere else.
    I understand that you want to help move them on by finding somewhere for them, I too tried this as well, but then you will only hear sob stories etc.
    Better not to text them again, be professional with them from now on.
    Go online on RTB website and open a dispute for ‘Vadility of notice’

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Welcome to being a landlord in Ireland.

Where a tenant can decide to stop paying or just refuse to move out and there's nothing you can do. The RTB have no teeth and can issue a piece of paper that's not worth a euro.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this, I wish you luck.

From a burnt now ex land lord as just wasn't worth the grief.

If correct notice has been served but can't progress until after level 5, why is there even discussions?

I wouldn't entertain conversion in the issue. They were given notice and that's that. When it's time to go and they don't, lodge the complaint.

I don't believe for a second any solicitor was involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

hamburgham wrote: »
    This is why some rescues will only give dogs to homeowners and not tenants and they're slated for it.

If any landlord is reading, maybe try giving a tenant with a pet a chance. It's not right to assume that a pet will necesarily damage a house. I know people whose houses are like showhouses even with a cat and a dog wandering around. A pup causes havoc but any mature dogs I know are fine in the house. It's linked to the tenant, a responsible tenant is not going to let their pet damage someone else's house.

I'm assuming the pets are dogs but maybe not. Op, can you see if the pets have actually caused any damage in your house ? Could you provide a reference for them if they haven't ?

Were the same, we are stuck living in a shítty toxic situation with family and have just given up looking for somewhere to rent because of our pets. Abandoning them isn't an option. If you do a quick search on daft for "any property" "anywhere in Ireland" that allows pets... Well it's pretty depressing :D we are buying in a couple of months anyway but we really would have loved a one year lease somewhere before buying but we were pretty much stuck. My dad is a pet friendly landlord, his tenants have a dog and there's never a problem. The place looks better now than it did pre-let! They're so fastidious and always doing odd jobs etc. Well, it's a LLs market so can't expect things to change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hontou

Antares35 wrote: »
    ...... have just given up looking for somewhere to rent because of our pets. Abandoning them isn't an option. If you do a quick search on daft for "any property" "anywhere in Ireland" that allows pets... Well it's pretty depressing ............. Well, it's a LLs market so can't expect things to change any time soon.

The problem is the tenants who allow their pets damage the property ruin it for everyone else. I always allowed pets but after being burned by present tenants will never allow pets again. In fact, as others have said, these tenants have made us decide to get out of property rental (along with personal financial reasons). I didn't mention it before but they have also destroyed our property with mould by blocking up vents, refusing to turn on the oven extractor or open windows. This is impossible to prove, although we have had builders confirm it is the most likely explanation. The government and Threshold protect bad tenants. This then makes landlords leave the market, not allow pets, put up rent etc. The victims are then good tenants as well as good landlords. If the bad tenants were dealt with appropriately, there would be a fairer marketplace for the 99% good tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hontou wrote: »
    The problem is the tenants who allow their pets damage the property ruin it for everyone else. I always allowed pets but after being burned by present tenants will never allow pets again. In fact, as others have said, these tenants have made us decide to get out of property rental (along with personal financial reasons). I didn't mention it before but they have also destroyed our property with mould by blocking up vents, refusing to turn on the oven extractor or open windows. This is impossible to prove, although we have had builders confirm it is the most likely explanation. The government and Threshold protect bad tenants. This then makes landlords leave the market, not allow pets, put up rent etc. The victims are then good tenants as well as good landlords. If the bad tenants were dealt with appropriately, there would be a fairer marketplace for the 99% good tenants.

I know all this, and fully understand the reasons why. Was just offering our own perspective. I was actually surprised that my dad went down that road. He has the property near him so it's easier to keep an eye I suppose. Or maybe he'd a soft spot because he saw the difficulty I had. He's also been lucky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

on a slightly unrelated matter , came across a property for sale recently where the tenants ( or one of them ) was running a dog grooming business from the property ( was not advertised but i found out indirectly )

is this legal ?

even it is , surely it would ruin the house ? , didnt appear to be a garage attached to house

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hontou

I think a property has to be registered as a business. I had to stop childminding happening in a property I was renting. What would have happened if there was an accident in a house insured as a home only?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I think a property has to be registered as a business. I had to stop childminding happening in a property I was renting. What would have happened if there was an accident in a house insured as a home only?

True, you wouldn't have any insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

who registers the property as a business , the landlord or the tenant who is operating the dog grooming business , presumably the landlord ?

do home owners who operate Air B + B need to register as a business too ?

we did Air B + B for a month each summer ( pre covid ) due to galway races demand and must have had twenty different strangers in the house over a month long period , we didnt register as a business

• Advertisement
Advertisement