Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollinator for Cox

Options
  • 18-03-2021 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to plant a pollinator for our Cox.
    Although somewhat self fertile, it should do better with a pollen friend.

I thought about a Braeburn, but the local garden centre only have James Grieve and Jonagold.
    Are Braeburns stocked by other garden centres?
    Jonagold needing 2 pollination partners puts me off that.
    And there was only 1 James Grieve in this garden centre which didn't look 100%.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Giving up on getting the Braeburn and will settle for a James Grieve.
    However, all the trees for sale in local garden centres have the leaders cut at 4'/1.2m and an abundance of later branches from 3'-4'.

We will be planting this tree on the north side of a 5'/1.5m boundary wall, so we don't need/want the lateral branches lower than that.
    We could train one of the laterals to become a new leader, but we'll end up with an asymmetrical tree which we'd rather avoid.

Is there anywhere we can but an apple tree that hasn't had its leader cut?
    We don't mind if it's young and small.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

I got a James Grieve at the beginning of this month from Future Forests. It arrived by courier about 2.5 weeks after I ordered it and was in excellent condition. Their website is only open for an hour from 7pm on Sunday evenings and you have to be quick to complete your order in time. I failed the first time I tried and had to wait a week to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

Bill Hook wrote: »
    I got a James Grieve at the beginning of this month from Future Forests. It arrived by courier about 2.5 weeks after I ordered it and was in excellent condition. Their website is only open for an hour from 7pm on Sunday evenings and you have to be quick to complete your order in time. I failed the first time I tried and had to wait a week to try again.

Thanks Bill, I ended up getting a James Grieve and a Red Falstaff yesterday evening.
    I was a tiny bit disappointed with what was available when the site opened up.
    From looking during the week, I though I'd get a Braeburn on M26.
    Only MM106 rootstock available so I had to go with that.
    Will report back in 10 years time to let ye all know how it worked out.

Advertisement