Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patio Suppliers

• 19-03-2021 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Planning on putting in my patio this summer. Want to collect the names of companies so I can do my costings.

Would be grateful if people could forward patio suppliers/merchants. I’m in the greater Dublin region. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭rje66

Natural stone yard. Ashbourne
    McMonogles swords
    Tobermore swords
    Allstone, yard off naas Rd.
    Roadstone various yards
    Kilsaran dunboyne
    Some of these focus on certain types , so depending on your choice of stone some of these won't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I got a Tobermore patio put in last year and found them great to deal with and used their local installer as well.

The pavers were quite reasonable but the installation was a bit more expensive than I was expecting, and having watched them do it if I was do it again I'd do it myself but I couldn't fault the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I got a Tobermore patio put in last year and found them great to deal with and used their local installer as well.

The pavers were quite reasonable but the installation was a bit more expensive than I was expecting, and having watched them do it if I was do it again I'd do it myself but I couldn't fault the work.

I blessed with delusional and non-stop access to YouTube.

I’m gonna give it a go myself. Need to get a good understanding of what’s out there, what costs and what’s the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for that.

rje66 wrote: »
    Natural stone yard. Ashbourne
    McMonogles swords
    Tobermore swords
    Allstone, yard off naas Rd.
    Roadstone various yards
    Kilsaran dunboyne
    Some of these focus on certain types , so depending on your choice of stone some of these won't have it.

Thanks for this. A really good start for me to research.
    Without any knowledge, I think I’m after porcelain (I know there’s a few names that it goes by) and I want something beige, I don’t like the granite steel colours. Something warm.

I’ve wondered about a mix of materials - decking and paving and resin. That sort of thing.

Early stages of my delusion. I’m sure cost and ability will bring me back down to ground quick enough.

We’ve a fairly large back garden so cost is an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I laid one last year, tough going but delighted with how it turned out, I went with
    https://www.mcmonaglestone.com/

but had a good browse on https://www.tilemerchant.ie/paving/paving-slabs/limestone-paving-slabs.html

I went with Tala Grey limestone from McMonagle, the 900x600 weigh a lot so I needed a hand.
    I hired a cement mixer and laid it on a wet mix on top of a hardcore base.
    Use Joint-It for the joints and it sets like concrete

The Mulk wrote: »
    I laid one last year, tough going but delighted with how it turned out, I went with
    https://www.mcmonaglestone.com/

but had a good browse on https://www.tilemerchant.ie/paving/paving-slabs/limestone-paving-slabs.html

I went with Tala Grey limestone from McMonagle, the 900x600 weigh a lot so I needed a hand.
    I hired a cement mixer and laid it on a wet mix on top of a hardcore base.
    Use Joint-It for the joints and it sets like concrete

Excellent. Thank you.
    I’ve had a few people out to look at it. Only one recommended clearing the substrate for hardcore base. (There’s some old concrete pavers straight on top of earth that they also wanted to keep). The issue is that our side access is narrow, the site is big and you can’t get a digger down.

Any pics - would like to see the handiwork if you didn’t mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

karlitob wrote: »
    I blessed with delusional and non-stop access to YouTube.

I’m gonna give it a go myself. Need to get a good understanding of what’s out there, what costs and what’s the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for that.

Ha ha, yeah that was my plan to initially. Main reason I didn't was an existing cobble walkway surrounding the house that I wanted the patio flush with that I thought would be above my competence level.

I'm happy I got someone in to do it, because they put in a drain that I wouldn't have thought to and also sloped it in the opposite direction than I'd planned to (their way made much more sense), but having seen them do it, if there is ever a next time I'll do it myself.

Excellent. Thank you.
    I’ve had a few people out to look at it. Only one recommended clearing the substrate for hardcore base. (There’s some old concrete pavers straight on top of earth that they also wanted to keep). The issue is that our side access is narrow, the site is big and you can’t get a digger down.

Yeah I have a good few pics, I'll try stick them up.
    One issue I had was I removed an old bolier house that was at the back door and i had to cover over the base and pipes, so i had to raise some levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Excellent. Thank you.

They didn't say put down hardcore because of your access. The 1 guy was right the rest were looking for quick in and out job. You want it to last and be level its best have the base under it.

ted1 wrote: »

€€€€€

€€€€€

Really ( south side tax)? I was in there getting a quote today. Roadstone near me was closed.

840 for 21 sqm porcelain tile
    120 for 2 ton sand
    1 ton hardcore 60
    10 cement 55
    1 bag groat 60.

Was going to try others over the weekend and order Monday.

The Mulk wrote: »

They look great. Thanks for that. Would you have any before : after of the step. I’ve concrete steps - 3 steps, standard but I need to elongate the runner (or tread forget which) so I can open up the French doors going in without having to step up and down.

Really ( south side tax)? I was in there getting a quote today. Roadstone near me was closed.

120 for 2 ton sand
    1 ton hardcore 60
    10 cement 55
    1 bag groat 60.

72sq m at 34€ per 60x60cm 20mm porcelain tile

Using their calculator - I’m coming in at €7k without sub base etx.

https://bpmsupplies.ie/collections/20mm-porcelain-tiles-paving

120 for 2 ton sand
    1 ton hardcore 60
    10 cement 55
    1 bag groat 60.

Actually that's not too bad. Is that inc vat?

Actually that's not too bad. Is that inc vat?

Yes

They look great. Thanks for that. Would you have any before : after of the step. I’ve concrete steps - 3 steps, standard but I need to elongate the runner (or tread forget which) so I can open up the French doors going in without having to step up and down.

Sorry I have no decent pictures of the steps, I just laid pavers onto the steps, the small single door is the original back door in the picture, that's lower than the French doors which were put in about two years ago, that has quite a high step up from the patio.
    On the fall, i allowed 1:60 away from the house, the patio is 3mts from the step, so a fall of 5cm. I used a wooden frame, with pencil lines on it for the first row. Checked that with the level and continued that level along the rest.

Came across this excellent website and virtual tour. Prices look good also.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=xc3axV6Pb3T&back=1

https://www.millbrookpaving.ie/

Advertisement