Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

She's interested in sustainability so she moves to a one off mansion, rightio

Very odd take from the article.

"Mansion"? How many people do you know commencing a Rathmines mortgage after redundancy? She moved to her husband's home place with an open mind to get through covid. Then she happened to like the area in a house previously unoccupied for ten years (and a four-minute walk from the town).

Not everyone wants neighbours the other side of their wall, well done to them and everyone in the thread thinking of doing same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

dmakc wrote: »
    Not everyone wants neighbours the other side of their wall, well done to them and everyone in the thread thinking of doing same.

It doesn't matter, it's bad practice to live like this when it comes to sustainability, the woman in the article should know this, and yes a 6 bedroom house is a mansion to me.

it's bad practice to live like this when it comes to sustainability, the woman in the article should know this

I see. So in the name of sustainability, shall we just pull the plug on this Mayo community now then? Or did you miss the part where it's a four-minute walk from the town?

Live and let live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Being able to go to and indeed walk to any gig in town I want is worth too much to me to move....oh yeah and my family I suppose.

dmakc wrote: »
    I see. So in the name of sustainability, shall we just pull the plug on this Mayo community now then? Or did you miss the part where it's a four-minute walk from the town?

Live and let live

Yes pull the plug, build soviet style apartments with shared green space around, put her in that. Most efficient.

• Advertisement

Yes pull the plug, build soviet style apartments with shared green space around, put her in that. Most efficient.

Thought you might. Sounds like a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

She's interested in sustainability so she moves to a one off mansion, rightio.
    Fair play to them but I would hate to have a massive house miles away from everything.

Your only jealous of her mansion, just because you live in a pokey little house or flat you think everyone else should.

You wont see to many of your hero's in the Green Party living in a pokey little flat, that's only for the fools that vote for them.

Jealous of a mansion, stop. We don't all think bigger is better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

We don't all think bigger is better.

We're still talking about houses right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jealous of a mansion, stop. We don't all think bigger is better.

So your wants and needs don't correspond to someone else's needs.

If you want to live in a small place that is fine.

Just don't criticise her choice to live in a "mansion".

You really sound like a disgruntled individual.

• Advertisement

I just thought it was a bit rich for someone to say they are interested in sustainability yet they move to a huge house in rural Ireland where everyone is car dependent.

I just thought it was a bit rich for someone to say they are interested in sustainability yet they move to a huge house in rural Ireland where everyone is car dependent.

Third time noting they're a four-minute walk from town. I rent city centre in Dublin and have to walk 10 mins to my nearest Spar

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

s8n wrote: »
    painful smugness in that article !!

Why does the author call them by their surnames throughout?

Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Some parts of Dublin are absolute holes, and the city centre has become an unpoliced zombie no go zone - especially after dark out of the very centre. That being said some parts are fabulous places to grow up and live in - unfortunately you’d have needed to have bought long ago or now have two good salaries to buy there or have inherited or grown up there. Unless you have a handy 6 or 700k to spare.

That being said people renting can chose their spot, rent what they couldn’t afford to buy, have a great lifestyle with job that may not be available elsewhere and move if the area goes down/ better house elsewhere appears or job location changes - they have options.

Not everybody relishes a life of landlocked county, grass & small towns, the smell of sileage in the morning or the cliquey living of the country or GAA lifestyle. I know a few Dubs who moved to their OH’s and were never accepted or welcomed by their ‘communities’ and are living harrowing, lonely lives in big beautiful houses in the arsehole of nowhere that they can’t afford to hear, with nothing closeby and no amenities and are going slowly mad.

I have a little holiday home in an area where I've some still maintained family connections, so maybe it won't be so bad, but amenities can a good deal simpler.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I moved to Dublin many years ago from a smaller town down the country and initially hated it as my salary was low, working shift hours and I couldnt really enjoy it.

But as my career progressed my salary rose to a level where I really could start enjoying the city and properly discovering it and I loved it, even moved right into the city centre to make the most of it.

However, I met my better half, got married and my priorities changed, so we have bought a house, outside of Dublin in a small town, on the coast and about a 30-40 min drive from the city center (in normal traffic not rush hour) and now we have the best of both worlds.

Small town life with a major city right on our doorstep. We know all our neighbours, have a kid in their same age range as most of our neighbours and chat about normal family life things but if we want a night out, (pre covid) we simply went into town and checked into a nice hotel as a treat (not something we did often) and it felt like a different world without being a million miles away.

We both love Dublin, yes certain parts are not great but they are not areas we spent any time in and if you're from mainland Europe, which my wife is, there are cities that are much much worse than Dublin with regards crime, drugs, filth and the other not so nice aspects. So to some people. Dublin is a kip, belive its far from one when you look at other places.

To be honest I love Dublin, we have a decent quality of life here, decent careers and everything we need on our doorstep. If we moved back down the country in the morning, yes we could afford a bigger house on more land but I'd be bored silly and regret every minute of it.

I know Dublin isn't for everyone and city life isn't for everyone but just because you don't like it, calling a place a kip just doesn't make sense to me. Try living in some of the less nicer areas in bigger cities around Europe or globally and you'll actually see how nice Dublin really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

The problem is not many people can afford these houses on the commuter belt anymore without incurring large debt.
    This ultimately impacts any quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cackles

I know this is an old thread but yeah, it's impossible now I've decided at 44 to move back west with my 20 year old daughter, I've been here since 1996 and have still never been able buy a home, I've spend in excess of 360,000 on rent over the past 20 year but this year is really taking its toll after a long battle with stress induced anxiety and depression I've decided that leaving Dublin will go a long way towards reducing the constant financially stress, although I love my job and make ok money but it's never enough up here , I will find it really hard to leave the so called good pensionable job, which is no good if I cannot meet basic security needs on it or end up getting a stroke from the stress of trying to manage , I will be gutted, and heartbroken to leave the job, but it's the right thing to do, another 20 or 30 years ahead paying of another mortgage for someone else if I stay.

The Dublin we knew is dead and gone, Tis with O leary in the grave .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

That's not far off my own story. Covid-19 lockdown pretty much trashed my life, and the idea of dealing with the dysfunctional Dublin accomodation market while also trying to piece my life back together was simpy too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cackles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I moved summer 2021. My current job is really just a stop-gap and I'm still sorting out my personal life, but at least with accomodation my living situation is stable.

• I absolutely hate Dublin City centre north of the Liffey, I avoid having to even pass through it, and I’m Dublin bred and born. As for European cities, most of the centres are the best parts, eg Paris, Madrid. Dublin’s best parts are south city centre/Georgian quarter, much of Southside that’s not too far west, coastal north Dublin, and parts around Castleknock. Coastal Dublin is lovely. I’m lucky to be born in Dublin and inherited family home, otherwise I’d likely be really struggling to both make ends meet and have some kind of a life.

Advertisement