Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I was there a couple of years ago and their craft beer is pretty woeful. I don’t associate the British with good beer. The Belgians, Germans, Czech Republic, USA have amazing beers. Some of the Irish craft beer is very good now

quote="Thelonious Monk;116627015"]they're really not, every pub seems to have a different selection, it has changed a lot in the last 10 - 20 years with beer quality and selection.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I remember being in a tranny club in Manchester singing karaoke and enjoying the buffet on a random Friday night years ago. Would you get that in Dublin? It's not my thing, but through circumstances/mates, I was there, and had a cracking night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sorry, it isn't. There is very little of any architecture of international significance in the city, which of course is the legacy of occupation and colonialism but that doesn't make it less true.

Dublin also has some serious social problems which make it an unpleasant place to be. Open drug dealing and use in view of main thoroughfares, a widespread, long-standing graffiti, stickering and littering problem, derelict sites and gaudy business hoardings are just a few of the unaddressed issues the city faces.

To paraphrase Warren Buffet, when the tide goes out you find out who's been swimming naked. Well the tide went out for Dublin with Covid and it's most certainly been found to be starkers.

The only way the majority will twin to the city is if they're forced.

Parts of Dublin are lovely. Where do you live?
    It's not like we have much to work with in Ireland, most urban areas are horrible, your average Irish town is badly planned and choked with traffic.
    Most of our countryside is fields of grass covered in chemicals with no trees, and the odd sitka spruce plantation here and there and ugly one offs all over the place. Our uplands look like the moon because they've been overgrazed by sheep.
    So you can choose to enjoy the best things about the capital, or just moan about "scrotes" and believe in this falsehood that it's a dangerous place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I don't know, I'm in neither category and life is good. I think lots of country folk come to Dublin and have a 9 year old inner city kid shout at them and that seems to terrify them for life. I don't get this obsession with "scrotes", sure last time I was out in Galway I saw about 5 fights breaking out on a Saturday night, I think they were all travellers though.
    I think Dublin is safer now than it ever was, it's just that incidents involving teenagers etc explode all over social media now so everyone thinks it's a constant warzone.

I'm not Dublin bashing here but to be honest the problems in the city extend a lot further than 9 year olds shouting.

Folk comparing 5 fights in Galway on a night out to Dublin's under/scrote class is mental.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Folk comparing 5 fights in Galway on a night out to Dublin's under/scrote class is mental.

If by "folks" you mean me, my point was a night out in Galway I saw loads of fights, but I still like the place and don't think it's dangerous.
    People see heroin addicts in Dublin and think it's the Rio Favellas, they are harmless, just a product of Irish society and they are people who need help.

If by "folks" you mean me, my point was a night out in Galway I saw loads of fights, but I still like the place and don't think it's dangerous.
    People see heroin addicts in Dublin and think it's the Rio Favellas, they are harmless, just a product of Irish society and they are people who need help.

Indeed, I did mean you.
    As I said, I still like Dublin, I don't think it's dangerous.
    It is full of scrotes though (I'm not on about heroin addicts either).

What capital cities in Europe do not have issues?? Even Paris which is absolutely stunning and one of my favourite cities in the world has parts that you are asking for trouble. Don’t even get me started with parts of London, Glasgow etc. All bigger cities / capitals have social issues, you can’t avoid it. New York another amazing city, ok it’s much bigger than all European cities but it has really bad crime too. Dublin is no worse than most European cities for crime or being dangerous
    I'm not Dublin bashing here but to be honest the problems in the city extend a lot further than 9 year olds shouting.

Indeed, I did mean you.
    As I said, I still like Dublin, I don't think it's dangerous.
    It is full of scrotes though (I'm not on about heroin addicts either).

wtf even is a "scrote"?

wtf even is a "scrote"?

Skinny little maggot with a howya accent clad in air max 270s, tracksuit pants, north face jacket or similar. Uneducated, doesn't work, lives in inner city for free, other half is often found pushing a pram ...... likes cans, tattoes, doesn't have a car...... can be aged 20 to 45, doesn't pay for rides on red luas....... smokes, likely involved in petty crimes, hates the gubbernment.

Know what I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I know quite a few people who have left and dont plan on coming back. Mainly people who were from overseas and moved back home and can work remotely. I would probably have done the same if I didn't have a mortgage, nothing really keeping me here.

Thought there was a tax issue with this? Something like companies getting our low corporation tax rate having to have their employees based in Ireland? Maybe someone can clarify.

Would love to have a cushy WFH job somewhere warm and cheap and getting Irish wages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Persuading herself to move down the sticks. Not to the arse end of nowhere, but somewhere close to Galway or Cork. Within taxi range after a night out. I have a job that can be carried out anywhere, but she would have to leave her job in Dublin. It's a conversation worth having though.

Dublin is a great little city in fairness, but you reach a stage where you realise that you won't be necking yokes at a house party in Clongriffin no more.

Still good now and again even at my age :D 5/6 times a year is more than enough though.

Skinny little maggot with a howya accent clad in air max 270s, tracksuit pants, north face jacket or similar. Uneducated, doesn't work, lives in inner city for free, other half is often found pushing a pram ...... likes cans, tattoes, doesn't have a car...... can be aged 20 to 45, doesn't pay for rides on red luas....... smokes, likely involved in petty crimes, hates the gubbernment.

Know what I mean?

"Salt of the earth"

Pays for everything in cash.

Never wears a face mask.

Stinks of weed at 1pm on a Tuesday.

Loves scratch cards.

Chipper based diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I think this idea that when moving to the countryside you instantly lose access to amenities is a bit fair fetched tbh

Plenty of towns in "rural" ireland now have retail parks close enough by and walking trails, nice lakes, restaurants and all that

I guess you need to be clever when choosing!

BTW Dublin is awesome and a kip in equal measures. Here's a tip move no more than an hours drive away and have the best of both worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I live in Dublin 7. I moved house last year, about 500m and it's like living in a different world. Regretting it now as there is a good deal of anti-social behaviour. Dublin is great, you just need to live in the right area. I'm originally from Galway city and when everything is open there's a lot more to do in Dublin.

doesn't have a car

Why is this relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Non Dub here. Can't imagine leaving it really. Some things are v attractive about smaller places but I'd just worry I really wouldn't fit in. I'm quite insular really. In a city there's no need to fit in with a local community and plenty to do etc. We've parks shops etc within walking distance.

Plus the climate is much dryer than where I come from originally which was endlessly wet. I really really hate the rain. Esp wind and rain.

wtf even is a "scrote"?

Know what I mean?
    ........doesn't have a car................

Why is this relevant?

Ok, we'll scratch the car bit :pac:

"Salt of the earth"

Never wears a face mask.

Loves scratch cards.

Chipper based diet.

:)

I'm pretty sure we have similar people all over Ireland in fairness, just on a smaller scale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

"Salt of the earth"

Never wears a face mask.

Loves scratch cards.

Chipper based diet.

You forgot "hand permanently down the front of his tracky bottoms groping his own balls"

• Advertisement

I had friends who moved from Galway and cork who moved to Dublin and always commented on how much better / drier the weather is in the east. I love the west of Ireland but I couldn’t handle all the rain. Dublin literally gets half the rainfall that a lot of the west and south west of Ireland gets.

Dublin is no Mediterranean but the weather is infinitely better than further west
    ellee wrote: »
    Non Dub here. Can't imagine leaving it really. Some things are v attractive about smaller places but I'd just worry I really wouldn't fit in. I'm quite insular really. In a city there's no need to fit in with a local community and plenty to do etc. We've parks shops etc within walking distance.

Plus the climate is much dryer than where I come from originally which was endlessly wet. I really really hate the rain. Esp wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Antares35 wrote: »
    You forgot "hand permanently down the front of his tracky bottoms groping his own balls"

I've never understood this phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭dubrov

I had friends who moved from Galway and cork who moved to Dublin and always commented on how much better / drier the weather is in the east. I love the west of Ireland but I couldn’t handle all the rain. Dublin literally gets half the rainfall that a lot of the west and south west of Ireland gets.

Galway is particularly bad for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Talking loudly in the supermarket ( like they're looking for an audience )
    Hands down grey tracksuit bottoms, fondling themselves in public.
    Self inflicted poor health, despite wearing sports gear.
    Deliberately ruining the traditional Dublin accent.
    Bottles of lucozade.
    Loud conversations on the Luas about drugs/ fights/ how mad their mate is.
    Getting on/ off at the courts Luas stops.
    Overweight from chipper + sugar diet.
    Hobbling around on crutches, having fallen due to intoxication ( whilst dressed in sports gear ).

The closer you look at these chaps, the more ridiculous they get.

And they are growing in numbers. It's the Zombie Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yakult wrote: »
    Had to pleasure of staying in Bachelors Walk again recently enough for 5 weeks (work related).
    Would never want to be in or around the city center in the evening ever again after that last experience.

It never seemed that bad a few years back. Sad to see. Feel sorry for people who live there permanently and have to deal with that scum on a daily basis outside their door.

It has has gone fairly rough in recent years, maybe last 7 years or so, every city has it's problems granted but the city center/ O'Connell Street is very sketchy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

listermint wrote: »
    Erm.....

That's a bizarre set of criteria to make a place great.

Biz-aaare

True, but they all exist in one city where I am.

My point, though, was that its not my "lack of imagination" as the poster I was refering to seemed to think...! Trust me - I have imagination.

Now, I'm not saying that ALL of them are nessecary, but THIS is what variety is. Nearly all the bars in Dublin that I've been to have the same atmousphere and clientel. Now granted, it's been a while since I left, but I just found the whole "get lashed down at Cassidy's/O'Leary's/whatever Head while watching the 'aul ball game, wha'?" boring after a couple of nights.

And I like the aul ball games.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

but I just found the whole "get lashed down at Cassidy's/O'Leary's/whatever Head while watching the 'aul ball game, wha'?" boring after a couple of nights.

And I like the aul ball games.

I don't like those places, I see your point though. I love the cheap little bars that hardly 5 people can fit into all over Europe that don't take themselves seriously and are dirt cheap. Dive bars I suppose. It's so expensive to do business in Dublin that these type of places don't really exist, German cities are full of them, and Spain.
    On the other hand we do have some great old school pubs, ones with no TVs and great Guinness etc, something you might long for when living abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't like those places, I see your point though. I love the cheap little bars that hardly 5 people can fit into all over Europe that don't take themselves seriously and are dirt cheap. Dive bars I suppose. It's so expensive to do business in Dublin that these type of places don't really exist, German cities are full of them, and Spain.
    On the other hand we do have some great old school pubs, ones with no TVs and great Guinness etc, something you might long for when living abroad.

Process to get a drink licence in most places - go to town hall, hand over a small amount of cash, sorted

Process here - buy someone elses licence for 55k+ (this has been over six figures before depending on demand), hire a sodding barrister, prove suitability of premises etc etc. Makes anything small unviable.

The smallest new premises I've seen in the past decade has been Penny Lane on Great Strand Street which is maybe 4x the size of some of the tiny bars abroad; and most new bars are much larger than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Things I'll miss about Dublin:
    1) Match day! Can't beat the atmosphere in Croke Park, and excitement in town before it. Loved walking about town on match day, even on days I didn't have a 'horse in the race'
    2) Cycling out to Howth on sunny days, cliff walk got a mention already on this thread. Simply stunning
    3) A nice pub for a good feed on a Sunday
    4) The amount of events on; granted you probably pay a small fortune to go but there was always something on
    5) From where I was living everything was very walkable or within cycling distance

Probably loads of other small things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh yeah - got the "Kniepen" too :)

I'm not saying I'm into all of them (I could certainly give the metal bar a miss, but it's not nice to know it's there for others) but I like some options.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement