Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,117 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

L1011 wrote: »
    Process to get a drink licence in most places - go to town hall, hand over a small amount of cash, sorted

Process here - buy someone elses licence for 55k+ (this has been over six figures before depending on demand), hire a sodding barrister, prove suitability of premises etc etc. Makes anything small unviable.

The smallest new premises I've seen in the past decade has been Penny Lane on Great Strand Street which is maybe 4x the size of some of the tiny bars abroad; and most new bars are much larger than it.

This is the problem, in Europe you can have a bar that only gets a few customers a night and keep ticking over without becoming rich. Here they are all out money making businesses because it's either that or bust.
    I really wish they'd relax the laws here so we'd have more variation at night.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Talking loudly in the supermarket ( like they're looking for an audience )
    Hands down grey tracksuit bottoms, fondling themselves in public.
    Self inflicted poor health, despite wearing sports gear.
    Deliberately ruining the traditional Dublin accent.
    Bottles of lucozade.
    Loud conversations on the Luas about drugs/ fights/ how mad their mate is.
    Getting on/ off at the courts Luas stops.
    Overweight from chipper + sugar diet.
    Hobbling around on crutches, having fallen due to intoxication ( whilst dressed in sports gear ).

The closer you look at these chaps, the more ridiculous they get.

And they are growing in numbers. It's the Zombie Apocalypse.

Total attention seekers. The biggest drama queens you will ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Moved back from a rural town about 4 years ago, will never look back. The amenities, the transport, the infrastructure and people simply minding their own business... are marvelous in Dublin and NOT a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Augeo wrote: »
    Skinny little maggot with a howya accent clad in air max 270s, tracksuit pants, north face jacket or similar. Uneducated, doesn't work, lives in inner city for free, other half is often found pushing a pram ...... likes cans, tattoes, doesn't have a car...... can be aged 20 to 45, doesn't pay for rides on red luas....... smokes, likely involved in petty crimes, hates the gubbernment.

Know what I mean?

Every small town and village in Ireland has their quota of these types.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Every city has good points versus bad points.
    Most european citys are locked down ,pubs ,music venues closed .

Living in a small rural towns can be boring, theres a few pubs, a few music venues.you,ll see the same people every day.it does not suit everyone
    dublin does not look good right now with so many shops closed.
    will many young people choose to leave if they have the option to work
    in a rural area, work from home ,using zoom ,skype apps .
    i don,t think anyone knows.
    i understand its tough to pay very high rent to live in a small flat,
    when for the same cost you could buy a house in a rural area.
    the weather in the west of ireland is very different to dublin.
    Colder and a lot more rain.At some point the pandemic will be over.
    pubs and music venues will open up again.
    even rural area,s have rough ignorant people wearing tracksuits.
    why do young people live in citys, they go to college,
    theres a wider range of work to choose from.
    Also a wide range of potential partners in terms of dating.
    dublin will look better when the tourists come back,
    and theres more people back working in the offices that are now empty.And all shops ,cafes are open.
    i don,t know if you can ruin an accent ,
    you pick up an accent from your parents as you grow up,
    its an automatic process , as in french children speak french,
    german children speak german without having to go to school
    Re zombies i dont think they are growing in no,s .
    the birth rate is low if you compare it with the 70,s and 80s.

maybe the problem is now most city streets are almost empty apart from people who live in the city centre .
    certainly in america the housing market is booming,
    as many people are buying large houses in small towns to work from home and leaving the citys and selling their apartments in new york
    san fran LA etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

dublin is a kay eye pea

poor transport, poor suburb planning, new bus routes are going to be ****e, most people would rather walk into you than say hello, nobody is that friendly (given the reputation), walking zombies in the city centre, over priced rent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭dubrov

timeToLive wrote:
    dublin is a kay eye pea

timeToLive wrote:
    poor transport, poor suburb planning, new bus routes are going to be ****e, most people would rather walk into you than say hello, nobody is that friendly (given the reputation), walking zombies in the city centre, over priced rent

Don't hold back now. Tell us how you really feel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

A lot of nostalgic posts about old Dublin. Old Dublin was a proper kip with no job prospects. Modern Dublin is very different. Much more multicultural and vibrant. Yes it has its bad areas (like every city) , housing thats way too expensive and a very visible drug problem which makes the streets feel dangerous, even more so right now with quieter streets.
    I live in the inner suburbs and I love it. I am within a 10 minute walk to parks, greenways, shops, restaurants, pubs and beside high frequency bus and train routes. Lockdown has made me see the beautiful side of our city even more but also highlighted how we don't have enough private housing in the centre still.

Much of it depends on your upbringing. If you're from outside Dublin, you'll probably long for living back there as that's where your family and friends are. I'm from Dublin and almost everything in my life is here. I think I'd hate living in a big Country house if I had few amenities close by.

I've also been fortunate enough to live in the USA and multiple European Countries and as good as some of those places were, eventually I got homesick and wanted to come home to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,634 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

timeToLive wrote: »
    dublin is a kay eye pea

I love the supposed lack of friendliness in big cities it's much better than all those "friendly" people you get elsewhere who are actually just nosey gossips. Why would you want random strangers yapping to ya while you try relax on the bus or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

In my own experience as a single 28yo male that moved to Dublin the past 4 years, I quite enjoy my time here (pre-lockdown anyway).

I guess I have been fortunate. I share a house with 3 others in Ranelagh for about 560 euro per month, we are a mixture of young girls/lads from both Irish and international backgrounds. Same with work, company of about 60, people from Dublin, outside M50, international, etc. Dublin is a great place on evenings and weekends to go out with a mixed group and enjoy life, whether you are into pubs, music, sport, entertainment, etc, there is usually something there for you.

I can't speak for married couples or older folk, I get the issues with housing and I also see the anti-social behaviour in town. But for for young professional people, its a good place to live if you can get affordable accommodation.

• Advertisement

dublin is a kay eye pea

I love that I don't have to talk to people in Dublin if I dont want to. I love that they don't know me or my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Friends of my parents bought a house in Westport years ago. They were retired and owned a mobile in Old Head about 12 miles outside the town. They loved it there and would spend the whole summer, June, July, August, there every year. So they decided to move there permanently. They sold their gaff in dublin and bought a house just outside the town. The house was bigger than the one they owned in Dublin. And they loved it - for about a year.
    They ended up selling and moving back to Dublin. Main reason being they knew hardly anyone there and missed all their friends back in Dublin where they had lived most of their life. I think they were in their late sixties/early seventies and making new friends/relationships with people at that age just isn't always viable.
    Problem was house prices had shot up over the year or so that they'ed been gone. I think they ended up having to buy a smaller house than the one they had previously owned.
    Luckily when they bought the house in Westport they still held on to the mobile so still holiday there every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

dublin is a kay eye pea

Do you want everyone in Dublin city to stop and say hi to you lol. Most cities are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think poor policing, lack of any willingness to tackle open drug dealing/usage and anti social behaviour, and the covid situation was the final bit of icing on the cake. So we have this situation where our cities have been turned into kips. I've always likes visiting Dublin. Like everywhere it has it's good and bad. I haven't been to Dublin since the covid broke out though.

So i couldn't comment on how bad it's got in the covid era, but my hometown of Cork is a right old kip nowadays. Junkies thugs and scumbags everywhere, no garda presence and people going before the courts for the most vicious of attacks, and getting off with soft sentences.

It's sad because right up to about 5 or 6 years ago, it was a nice place. Maybe things will pick up when the worst of the covid is over us, and our cities might become enjoyable places to spend time in again, and regain their former vibrancy. But after the next budget, that could be a long way off. This is just a very bleak time to be alive sadly.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm originally from Kerry and been in Dublin over 20 years and still love it as much as I love my home county but for different reasons. I don't understand the kip statements either. Comparing how Dublin is these last 12 months to emphasize why it's a kip is pointless as every other Western world city has practically encountered the same challenges. I agree what the city has to offer doesn't suit everyone and if you are only on an average or less wage, you will struggle to afford a comfortable lifestyle, particularly if you are renting or paying a mortgage.

I can't help thinking a lot of the vitriol directed at Dublin comes from people with hang ups or chips on their shoulders or indeed some sort of inferiority complex about where they're from. By all means, dislike the city for affordabIlity, social, working, amenity, leisure, commuting, friendliness etc etc reasons...but none of those valid reasons actually make it a kip. Reading about a troubled neighborhood in the city (every city has them) with high crime, deprivation and anti social behavior but never impacts your daily life doesn't make it a kip for you personally either...yet many people will still choose to label the entire city a kip (without giving any credible reasons why).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,348 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tis a grand place to live if you can afford a decent suburb.

Many people can't though.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Tis a grand place to live if you can afford a decent suburb.

Most people can't though

Most people can as most suburbs are fine

Most people can as most suburbs are fine

Not sure we're talking about the same suburbs..

Not sure we're talking about the same suburbs..

well you said most and then changed to many

well you said most and then changed to many

Ah yeah..

Do you really believe most people can afford decent Dublin suburbs?

• Advertisement

Ah yeah..

Do you really believe most people can afford decent Dublin suburbs?

Yes, as most suburbs are decent, and people live in them. But then a lot of people, especially country folk I find, wont live in areas that are traditionally working class and people have strong Dublin accents. I'm not aware of any country people around where I grew up in Artane, which is actually quite weird when you think about it. Same where I live now.

I love Dublin. You'll hear all the worst if you live your life on your social media ****e. In reality, it's a beautiful town, great quality of life, and probably one of the safest in europe. Let me know when ye are all leaving, and I'll stand out on the N7 and wave yiz all off. All the best...

Yes, as most suburbs are decent, and people live in them. But then a lot of people, especially country folk I find, wont live in areas that are traditionally working class and people have strong Dublin accents. I'm not aware of any country people around where I grew up in Artane, which is actually quite weird when you think about it. Same where I live now.

Artane is a grand suburb. Not far from where I am.

A decent family house in Artane doesn't come cheap mind.

A lot of long time Dubliners would struggle to afford their own homes if they were amongst today's young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I suppose it really depends on what you're looking at and what to compare it against.

"Post-pandemic boom" though? I'm sorry but no......just no! I'll have what that poster is having. There's so many people out of work in all sorts of functions and there are people in roles which will ultimately be made redundant when the government supports go. I've yet to see an economist that didn't predict growth (economists aren't known for sound predictions), and that's before taking vested interests into consideration. I'd say a post-pandemic bump at best.

Sure, there are a few people with extra savings now, but it's not universal, and that surplus of income from that category will be splurged quite quickly and much of it will probably end up leaving the country. There's going to be a lot of people losing their jobs assuming the zombie support that the government is providing is taken away. That's really when the fun begins. People can talk about new businesses replacing old ones but it's a bit naïve in my opinion. It would take a ballsy operator to setup a new business when the government could just lock you up again in a few months time. I think people need to get real about this whole thing and the damage this has done to our economy.

If inflation pops through the roof (which is a distinct possibility) then debt would become quite cheap by comparison, and real assets would have significant value. Having said that there are other investments you could make with the funds from a sale which would have a lot less hassle than a rental property.

The problem is there are a lot of things working against Dublin compared to other places, particularly when you consider that working from home could become much more normalised over the long-term. I'm from Dublin and personally I'm not as fond of the place as I used to be, and in many cases I think it has become an unmanageable place.

Ultimately it depends on your circumstances. If you think you'll need to live there again then you might be glad you don't have to go through the process of finding a place to live again, but if not and you've checked out of the idea of living there again + are worried about falling prices then that's a different ball game.

This is not investment advice, do your own research, don't listen to me....and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

So much negativity towards Dublin, I wonder how many of you non-native Dubliner's have grown up with ingrained hostility towards the Capital city and its inhabitants.

No city is perfect...

Yes it has its faults and negatives but the good far outweighs the bad. Same as many of the rural villages I've passed through, which to me, look downright depressing and grim.

I'd rather live here than then back arse of nowhere down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Overpriced kip with no atmosphere now. If i could i'd be down the country in a heartbeat.

Was in town the other day and it was like something from the walking dead. More Zombies than regular folk unfortunately. Have a feeling town as we know it is gone for good

This is nonsense; it will be packed as soon as restrictions are over

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

letowski wrote: »
    In my own experience as a single 28yo male that moved to Dublin the past 4 years, I quite enjoy my time here (pre-lockdown anyway).

I guess I have been fortunate. I share a house with 3 others in Ranelagh for about 560 euro per month, we are a mixture of young girls/lads from both Irish and international backgrounds. Same with work, company of about 60, people from Dublin, outside M50, international, etc. Dublin is a great place on evenings and weekends to go out with a mixed group and enjoy life, whether you are into pubs, music, sport, entertainment, etc, there is usually something there for you.

I can't speak for married couples or older folk, I get the issues with housing and I also see the anti-social behaviour in town. But for for young professional people, its a good place to live if you can get affordable accommodation.

Let’s hope that comes back, but a lot of my friends who have the very same view as you above, from rural Galway, Kerry, Mayo, cork, Ulster counties, have all held out as long as possible and most have given up their rental at this stage.

A few have now decided to pull the plug on the Dublin rental place whenever it ends this year and move home or move on to London or Australia. Of course - this is not new, it’s always happened, but you can’t help but look around and see the amount of people already comfortably working from home in all corners of Ireland with no problems, employers are fine with it too. Some will travel back to Dublin a day/two/three per week to keep up appearances in the office.

Of course the usual pubs and Camden street etc will open again and the Friday evening buzz will be back, there’ll be people around the barge on hot summer afternoons, but you do get a sense that this time is different.

I really don’t think these people will be coming back in a hurry to pay xyz€ on rent each month when they really don’t have to anymore.

Would do no harm either, decentralization from the capital and more investment in local towns and villages will fit in very well with these new age of people WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you are mistaken if you let a few zombies change your
    opinion of the whole city, they are a small minority.
    Dublin is a modern city with a very diverse population , people
    from many country's as well as native Irish people
    I think many country people live in rented apartments or any
    area where they can find cheap rental accommodation
    In the 80s they used to live in rathmines , 7 or 8 in old
    houses when bedsits were legal
    I think many young people may wish to leave Dublin simply because rents are high , its getting harder for people to afford
    to buy a house in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 25,634 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'm originally from Kerry and been in Dublin over 20 years and still love it as much as I love my home county but for different reasons. I don't understand the kip statements either. Comparing how Dublin is these last 12 months to emphasize why it's a kip is pointless as every other Western world city has practically encountered the same challenges. I agree what the city has to offer doesn't suit everyone and if you are only on an average or less wage, you will struggle to afford a comfortable lifestyle, particularly if you are renting or paying a mortgage.

I can't help thinking a lot of the vitriol directed at Dublin comes from people with hang ups or chips on their shoulders or indeed some sort of inferiority complex about where they're from. By all means, dislike the city for affordabIlity, social, working, amenity, leisure, commuting, friendliness etc etc reasons...but none of those valid reasons actually make it a kip. Reading about a troubled neighborhood in the city (every city has them) with high crime, deprivation and anti social behavior but never impacts your daily life doesn't make it a kip for you personally either...yet many people will still choose to label the entire city a kip (without giving any credible reasons why).

Like most capital cities in Europe it is the most exciting place with the most to do culture wise but also the most expensive and sh@t on by the rest of the country as snobs, arrogant, cold or junkies.

I really like visiting Dublin and I don't see it as any more shabby than most of the kips of town centres you see round other counties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Like most capital cities in Europe it is the most exciting place with the most to do culture wise but also the most expensive and sh@t on by the rest of the country as snobs, arrogant, cold or junkies.

I really like visiting Dublin and I don't see it as any more shabby than most of the kips of town centres you see round other counties

Yeah; I can see the exodus now from Dublin to move to likes of Kinnegad, Portlaoise and Nenagh. Lol.

Advertisement