Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Dublin for good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There’s a lot of savings out there. And the economy grew last year, particularly at the last quarter. Most economists expect a strong recovery. Unlike normal recessions where there are imbalances in the economy, overlending or overproduction or whatever, this recession was caused by government action, and ending the lockdown will end the recession, if people play down the savings then a boom is likely.

A lot of people have done very well during covid, lots of houses going sale agreed very quickly, car dealerships are very busy also.

There is plenty of money around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Like most capital cities in Europe it is the most exciting place with the most to do culture wise but also the most expensive and sh@t on by the rest of the country as snobs, arrogant, cold or junkies.

I really like visiting Dublin and I don't see it as any more shabby than most of the kips of town centres you see round other counties

As others have said, some people are freaked out seeing some heroin addicts floating around the city center and incorrectly brand the entire place.

Generally, Dublin is a solid, vibrant city. In my opinion, it outshines most of its peers in Europe. I’m talking about cities with 1-1.5 million, not metropolises like London and Paris. The sporting opportunities and nightlife are particularly good. I absolutely loved it in my 20s.

However, cynicism starts to set in when you have young children. The house prices in areas with good schools and amenities are astronomical. It’s easy to ignore these realities if you’re younger or childless. Unfortunately, they’re unavoidable when you’re trying to give some little people the best possible upbringing. Dublin doesn’t deliver on that unless you’re earning serious money.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Webster29

Dublin can be quite a hostile city to live in. It's fine in your 20s if you have some cash but if you're older, have mobility issues or a couple of kids/ a buggy in tow it's very difficult. Public transport is crowded and not linked up. Public toilets don't exist. Public seating is limited for fear of it attracting anti social behaviour. Street furniture, dog sh+te, vomit and shop signage litter the footpath and makes it very difficult to get around. There just comes a point in your life where the attraction of the nightlife wanes and then you notice all these little things that make life harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,047 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Webster29 wrote: »
    Dublin can be quite a hostile city to live in. It's fine in your 20s if you have some cash but if you're older, have mobility issues or a couple of kids/ a buggy in tow it's very difficult. Public transport is crowded and not linked up. Public toilets don't exist. Public seating is limited for fear of it attracting anti social behaviour. Street furniture, dog sh+te, vomit and shop signage litter the footpath and makes it very difficult to get around. There just comes a point in your life where the attraction of the nightlife wanes and then you notice all these little things that make life harder.

Public toilets is a very noticable one and worse still I have had pubs say no to me when asking politely to use the toilet which is odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Hi there

I dont think this is a question as to whether you like dublin or not. Clearly you do not and do not want to live there.
    For me the question is do you want to hold on to your investment or not . If you hold onto this investment... somebody else will be paying your mortgage for you and you may be able to sell the property on retirement which may result in a very nice retirement bonus for you.

So i think you should think very strategically about this.... and forget if you actually like dublin or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Webster29 wrote: »

Where in Ireland are these things not an issue though? I think a lot of the gripes people have with Dublin are nationwide problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Wesser wrote: »
    Hi there

I dont think this is a question as to whether you like dublin or not. Clearly you do not and do not want to live there.
    For me the question is do you want to hold on to your investment or not . If you hold onto this investment... somebody else will be paying your mortgage for you and you may be able to sell the property on retirement which may result in a very nice retirement bonus for you.

So i think you should think very strategically about this.... and forget if you actually like dublin or not.

Tax if not owner occupied

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Webster29

Where in Ireland are these things not an issue though? I think a lot of the gripes people have with Dublin are nationwide problems.

It's intensified in Dublin though. You decide to bring the kids or granny in the car becuase of the public transport and you find yourself stuck in gridlock and paying for parking no where near you needed to go. The size of the city makes a trek across it harder than a smaller town and increases the likelihood of just needing a rest or a bathroom. My father in law still hasn't recovered from the difficulty of pushing his grandson through the obstacle course of our local suburb on bin day.

Don't get me wrong I like Dublin. But I can still think it has been planned in a somewhat deliberately hostile manner that makes the exit of people with kids or retirement to the country more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Let’s hope that comes back, but a lot of my friends who have the very same view as you above, from rural Galway, Kerry, Mayo, cork, Ulster counties, have all held out as long as possible and most have given up their rental at this stage.

A few have now decided to pull the plug on the Dublin rental place whenever it ends this year and move home or move on to London or Australia. Of course - this is not new, it’s always happened, but you can’t help but look around and see the amount of people already comfortably working from home in all corners of Ireland with no problems, employers are fine with it too. Some will travel back to Dublin a day/two/three per week to keep up appearances in the office.

Of course the usual pubs and Camden street etc will open again and the Friday evening buzz will be back, there’ll be people around the barge on hot summer afternoons, but you do get a sense that this time is different.

I really don’t think these people will be coming back in a hurry to pay xyz€ on rent each month when they really don’t have to anymore.

Would do no harm either, decentralization from the capital and more investment in local towns and villages will fit in very well with these new age of people WFH.

Yeah I hope so too. As I said, I’ve been fortunate with rent allowing me to save a few bob, but the rental market is very tough. Hopefully remote working will take an edge off it as you say. But it will likely always remain high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Hamachi wrote: »
    The house prices in areas with good schools and amenities are astronomical. It’s easy to ignore these realities if you’re younger or childless. Unfortunately, they’re unavoidable when you’re trying to give some little people the best possible upbringing. Dublin doesn’t deliver on that unless you’re earning serious money.
    One thing Dublin really gets wrong is the whole conduct of the property market, which is a seperate issue from affordability. When I was stuck over at my parents place last summer I looked around some properties in the local area, and I was blown away at the level of professionalism compared to Irish EAs. Quality of the properties was also much higher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sold up in Blackrock before Christmas. Bought a house in the midlands.

Half the mortgage for a house 3 times the size of the last on an acre of land. Need to commit being in Dublin when work needs but otherwise WFH.

So far not complaints other than every one knows my business

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah I hope so too. As I said, I’ve been fortunate with rent allowing me to save a few bob, but the rental market is very tough. Hopefully remote working will take an edge off it as you say. But it will likely always remain high.

The worry is Employers will start adjusting salaries accordingly.
    If they know you're living in Cork or Limerick say they know rents etc aren't at the same level as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

godtabh wrote: »
    Sold up in Blackrock before Christmas. Bought a house in the midlands.

Half the mortgage for a house 3 times the size of the last on an acre of land. Need to commit being in Dublin when work needs but otherwise WFH.

So far not complaints other than every one knows my business

Easily sorted.

Only say what you want to say... Rumours spread in small communities like wild fire. I just enjoy having fun with it....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Jizique wrote: »
    Tax if not owner occupied

Yes of course. 50% of the rent goes back to the government. Other 50% pays your mortgage

However, cynicism starts to set in when you have young children. The house prices in areas with good schools and amenities are astronomical. It’s easy to ignore these realities if you’re younger or childless. Unfortunately, they’re unavoidable when you’re trying to give some little people the best possible upbringing. Dublin doesn’t deliver on that unless you’re earning serious money.

That was my point essentially, grand for the scrotes and wealthy, not so grand for loads of other folk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

NSAman wrote: »
    Easily sorted.

Only say what you want to say... Rumours spread in small communities like wild fire. I just enjoy having fun with it....;)

My parents in law are the source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Generally, Dublin is a solid, vibrant city. In my opinion, it outshines most of its peers in Europe. I’m talking about cities with 1-1.5 million, not metropolises like London and Paris. The sporting opportunities and nightlife are particularly good. I absolutely loved it in my 20s.

Dublin outshines Lyon, Lisbon, Valencia, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Oslo, Copenhagen, Innsbruck, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Wroclaw, Krakow, Florence?...

strandroad wrote: »
    Dublin outshines Lyon, Lisbon, Valencia, Amsterdam, Antwerp, Oslo, Copenhagen, Innsbruck, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Wroclaw, Krakow, Florence?...

For a young person, starting their career, looking to meet people and have an active social life, yes I would say Dublin outshines most of those cities.

Sorry, it isn't. There is very little of any architecture of international significance in the city, which of course is the legacy of occupation and colonialism but that doesn't make it less true.

Dublin also has some serious social problems which make it an unpleasant place to be. Open drug dealing and use in view of main thoroughfares, a widespread, long-standing graffiti, stickering and littering problem, derelict sites and gaudy business hoardings are just a few of the unaddressed issues the city faces.

To paraphrase Warren Buffet, when the tide goes out you find out who's been swimming naked. Well the tide went out for Dublin with Covid and it's most certainly been found to be starkers.

The only way the majority will twin to the city is if they're forced.

Sorry, calling absolute BS on this. At least raise some valid points.

Dublin is an old city with some stunningly beautiful buildings. Every time i go through the city centre I still look around to see hidden gems I’ve missed. I’m glad it doesn’t have a shard or Gherkin.

This is what makes Dublin different and appealing to tourists, they are not looking for tall shinny plastic buildings

Open drug dealing
    Graffiti
    Littering
    Derelict sites

So basically the same as every single city in the world.
    I see these everywhere I go. All the cities mentioned in this thread so far have the exact same social problems, and from my experience worse. I’ve lived in Dublin for most of my life, and yes it has problems, but the craziness I have seen in most other cities I have visited is next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's all subjective though isn't it, like I wouldn't want to live in any of those cities even though they are lovely, maybe Lisbon. But then I couldn't get a job there and eu no falo portuguese.
    Oslo and Copenhagen are boring af in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

I think it does in many of those cities, but that is a personal view. Some of those cities are beautiful but lack life... Florence being one. It is a visitors city, I would hate to live there.

I suppose it is all about personal perception. I really enjoy Dublin, as stated earlier, but I would not live there full-time any more. Love meeting up with friends for a night out, love going for a meal, love going to the odd gig etc, etc.. but peace for me is the quietness of the countryside. Not having neighbours right next door, being able to lay out or run around naked (its possible but I don't) if so desired.

For a young person, starting their career, looking to meet people and have an active social life, yes I would say Dublin outshines most of those cities.

Does it outshine Paris, too?

I emigrated to France in 2010 and came back here a couple of years later, paying higher rent. That was in the aftermath of the Great Recession. I havent checked Dublin vs Paris rents recently, but I can only imagine that our rents are *now* regularly outstripping Paris, where rents are fairly stable.

I recognise there is an hypocrisy here, because I started this by saying I was worried about Dublin rents. Then again, I'm only worried about Dublin rents because we have the highest mortgage-interest rates in Europe.

The city has lost the run of itself. Again.

Does it outshine Paris, too?.

I have no idea. I’ve never lived in Paris.

Having said that, the couple of times I’ve visited it, I’ve seen many of the same social problems as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes I would say Dublin outshines them all and you could add plenty more it outshines like Glasgow, Manchester, Helsinki, Brussels and several others. I really like Edinburgh but it’s a bit too small for me.

I have no idea. I’ve never lived in Paris.

Having said that, the couple of times I’ve visited it, I’ve seen many of the same social problems as Dublin.
    Yes, many capital cities have problems in common.

I think we are talking here about value-for-money though. It's probably cheaper to live in Paris, when you take the entire cost of living into account.

Taxes are almost identical, food is considerably cheaper and healthcare in France is probably in the top-5 globally. Just curious as to why we put-up with over-paying for an underperforming city.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Antares35 wrote: »
    Do you want everyone in Dublin city to stop and say hi to you lol. Most cities are the same.

hit on some nerves with the unfriendly comment :D

What is the point in living somewhere so densely populated where everyone acts like everyone else doesn't exist.:) if we're crotch to crotch on the luas you could at least say hello :P

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

sleepyman wrote: »
    The worry is Employers will start adjusting salaries accordingly.
    If they know you're living in Cork or Limerick say they know rents etc aren't at the same level as Dublin.

Lol that’s some pile of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Hamachi wrote:
    Delusional stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Dublin is an old city with some stunningly beautiful buildings. Every time i go through the city centre I still look around to see hidden gems I’ve missed. I’m glad it doesn’t have a shard or Gherkin.
    Hahaha. No.

• Advertisement

Taxes are almost identical, food is considerably cheaper and healthcare in France is probably in the top-5 globally. Just curious as to why we put-up with over-paying for an underperforming city.

I don’t disagree with you. I’m actually quite frustrated with Dublin myself at the moment. The limitations of the city have been magnified for me since having children.

My point about Dublin outshining peer cities relates mostly to people in their 20s starting their working lives. There’s no denying that Dublin offers superb career opportunities, a really vibrant nightlife, and an incredibly young population that imbues the city with an energetic vibe. Some of those cities mentioned are like morgues compared to Dublin.

Advertisement