Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nature

• 19-03-2021 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭

A family member wants to turn a piece of ground into natural habitat.
    Trees and whatever be most suitable.
    They are concerned as to how trees will effect light and if there are smaller trees that be suitable as their home is on the piece of land.

Any advice welcome.
    Many thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

How much land do they have? If far enough from house light won't be effected.

They should plant native trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

How much land do they have? If far enough from house light won't be effected.

They should plant native trees.

Thanks for reply.
    The trees will be native, they have no experience in this area and neither do i have. There is 5/6 acres.
    It is likely someone has done something like this and may have some good ideas on how to set it up.
    I did check and there is grants available which is not a big factor as its more about doing the right thing as they do not want to rent anymore and natural habitat will need very little maintenance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Thanks for reply.
    The trees will be native, they have no experience in this area and neither do i have. There is 5/6 acres.
    It is likely someone has done something like this and may have some good ideas on how to set it up.
    I did check and there is grants available which is not a big factor as its more about doing the right thing as they do not want to rent anymore and natural habitat will need very little maintenance...

Afaik they need some maintenance at the beginning. I’d let go too soon, it becomes overgrown with horse, briars and rushes.

A big estate in uk let a place go wild one time and the reintroduced some cattle again because they kept back the invasive species.

What part of the country is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I did it to 12 acres. Mine is more species rich upland hay meadows interspersed with native trees.

Best starting point is to find which native trees suit the land/area.

https://www.treecouncil.ie/the-right-tree-in-the-right-place

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

The piece of land is North West, the problem is anyone who had did not look after properly and they want to keep it pretty well as best they can.
    The piece of land is reasonably good as it was always used foe meadow/hay.
    I always though people who farmed respected and looked after land, it did not happen in this case as all they seem to be interested in drawing whatever grant available.
    Thanks for your comments as these are the questions they are asking themselves before making the decision, they were of the opinion that there be little maintenance but that may not be the case.
    Do you or anyone here know how much maintenance involved in something like this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The piece of land is North West, the problem is anyone who had did not look after properly and they want to keep it pretty well as best they can.
    The piece of land is reasonably good as it was always used foe meadow/hay.
    I always though people who farmed respected and looked after land, it did not happen in this case as all they seem to be interested in drawing whatever grant available.
    Thanks for your comments as these are the questions they are asking themselves before making the decision, they were of the opinion that there be little maintenance but that may not be the case.
    Do you or anyone here know how much maintenance involved in something like this....

I don’t to be honest. I just know a neighbour gets a few weeks work annually in the burren cutting sally bushes that are over grown to prevent them from taking the place over fully.
    I wonder is there anyone local who might be able help- a phonecall to the local coco- they might have a biodiversity planner. I know in Clare, the coco were giving away fruit trees a few weeks ago. But years ago, we got native ones for the schools as part of tree week.
    Maybe coillte or the likes have some corporate responsibility plan for biodiversity.

From google I see NUIG have a masters programme in biodiversity planning. Maybe a project if there are close to you?

It’s something I would like to do to an area on our land too but because it’s cut away bog, the advice is keep farming and over time it will repair etc.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I did it to 12 acres. Mine is more species rich upland hay meadows interspersed with native trees.

Best starting point is to find which native trees suit the land/area.

https://www.treecouncil.ie/the-right-tree-in-the-right-place

Can i ask how did you go about sourcing an advisor...
    Will an upland hay meadow need maintenance...
    Your ides seems to fit what would suit here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Can i ask how did you go about sourcing an advisor...
    Will an upland hay meadow need maintenance...
    Your ides seems to fit what would suit here...

There are no advisors per se. There is general advice from places if you ask. I researched it and am still learning.

Re maintenance. A field wants to be a forest and left to its own devices will become one. So yes maintenance ( think traditional hay meadows) is required.
    It’s a hobby and therefore requires energy and enthusiasm.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement