Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,000 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm feeling very left out, not a single scam, text, phone call, email...... I did see a carrier pidgeon on my windowsill this morning, got terribly excited but alas, just a wink and it flew off.

Where do I complain????...... :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm feeling very left out, not a single scam, text, phone call, email...... I did see a carrier pidgeon on my windowsill this morning, got terribly excited but alas, just a wink and it flew off.

Joe Duffy

c/o

Rte,
    Donnybrook,
    Dublin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

None today, so far!
    Maybe my dump to voicemail works. They’ve had zero interaction with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

None today, so far!
    Maybe my dump to voicemail works. They’ve had zero interaction with me.

Same here. I enabled the “silence unknown callers” option on my phone but have had nothing since. Anything I read about this setting suggests that the call should be logged so I’m guessing that I’m just not getting anything. I don’t know if that has anything to do with me answering one of the calls and giving them a tirade of abuse! I felt a little guilty as someone who has worked in client-facing roles in the past, but I shouldn’t need to be nice to someone who is trying to scam people. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Dempo1 wrote: »

Post your number here and we'll do our best to help you out. My acc would do with few bucks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Dempo1 wrote:

Lol me also but I do have my settings on my phone set to only contacts in my phone can call me and private numbers blocked.

I'm just wondering have the telecoms companies reacted. There were large numbers of complaints on social media about spam calls.

It's possible they have blocked the source at their gateway stitches, or that the spammers' VoIP services got terminated as they providers detected misuse.

I know the Department of Social Protection was definitely very concerned about the PPS scam, so there was pressure coming in from both customers and state bodies to solve this.

The very high volumes of calls over the last few days likely tripped security somewhere.

Enjoy the silence! Let's hope it lasts for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Dont know about the silence you are mentioning. Started getting calls from tunisia. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Dont know about the silence you are mentioning. Started getting calls from tunisia. :mad:

It was just the weekend break. I laughed when people posted as though a stop had been put to the calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

My last call from the scammers was last Thursday where I was receiving a number of calls from them daily.

Seems to have stopped when I talked to one of them questioning their scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It was just the weekend break. I laughed when people posted as though a stop had been put to the calls.
    Yep, back with a vengeance today. It was the first one I got that was similar to my own number.

Still none for me, vs 9 on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭beachhead

tgdaly wrote: »
    Joe Duffy

c/o

Rte,
    Donnybrook,
    Dublin 4

Claire Byrne,RTE,Donnybrook,Dublin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

Aw The poor Brazilian fella I work with got a scam call this morning. He didn't realise it was a scam and gave them his PPSN.

Unfortunately, if you're a second language speaker, it's much harder to identify accents.

The various agencies and banks etc need to get info out to everyone and people need to also talk to less tech savvy older relatives etc etc too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I pressed 1 today to speak to 'officer' Brian Smith with an American twang. I asked him was he a law enforcement officer and judging by his answer he wasn't sure. He also wasn't sure what building he was operating from, just Dublin. So I asked him for his phone number so I could call him back and he hung up. Fcuking Wa*kers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭patnor1011

emeldc wrote: »
    I pressed 1 today to speak to 'officer' Brian Smith with an American twang. I asked him was he a law enforcement officer and judging by his answer he wasn't sure. He also wasn't sure what building he was operating from, just Dublin. So I asked him for his phone number so I could call him back and he hung up. Fcuking Wa*kers.

You are too polite. I am going with straight pure flood of insults. None of them last more that 3-4 seconds.

I doubt anyone needs to be trained on how to talk to a scammer but in a case that you are struggling...
    edit: No.
    (I am posting just a link and do not embed video as some faint hearted people may find it offensive even though it is just a "proper usage explanation")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rn

No calls for a few days now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was getting approx 5 or 6 calls every day last week and the previous one. Last Thursday I got one and pressed 1 and spoke with a girl who claimed she was from Dept Social Protection but couldn’t give me the address she was working at. She was looking for my PPS number in order to process my details, I told her I could t give it to her as I was a police officer and was afraid of my details being compromised. I asked for her address again and said I would get my colleagues to confirm that the address was Dept of Social Protection and the line went dead. Haven’t had a call since.

• Advertisement

Very few here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭scotchy

3 today so far.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

I've gotten 3 calls from 083 numbers in the past 3 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

6 Calls today. 3 to each mobile

083, 085 and 087

One left a voicemail which was a dodgy pre recorded message from the Dept of Social protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Had three today from numbers with Irish prefixes that didn't exist. Didn't answer any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

.42. wrote: »
    6 Calls today. 3 to each mobile

083, 085 and 087

One left a voicemail which was a dodgy pre recorded message from the Dept of Social protection.

I got called by the 087 yesterday but just blocked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Doc07

Discodog wrote: »
    I got called by the 087 yesterday but just blocked it.

Got loads of these from various 087s last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I answered my first one today. Was someone waffling on about Bitcoin. I was bored so said that is interesting, as my aunt Betty had been talking about bitcoin the other day. That is aunt Betty married to Eugene with the permanent sore toes, not aunt Betty married to Eugene with periodic gout. He got on account of a diet of red wine and steak for many years. Lucky him could afford such a diet since the early 80s on account of investing in Amway. He did have the gift of the gab though so could sell snow to the Eskimos. Probably not politically correct to call them that anymore. Kind of a mine field there, but Eugene wouldn't have minded as he was tone deaf. Not in the can't hear kind of way but in .... Hang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,633 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

The original and the best master of telling stories that go nowhere:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rn

No calls since. I guess I'll never rekindle that magic between garda roisin and myself. Oh well, better to have... Etc etc

Advertisement