Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed for planting hedge

Options
  • 19-03-2021 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Im planning to plant a portugese laurel or something similiar in my driveway on the side joined with my neighbours house. Its east facing. I want it for privacy and also to help block out noise from the park if possible. I have a hedge there currently, not sure what it is but its not evergreen so thats why I am replacing it. So looking for the new hedge to grow to about 6 foot. Should i just buy a mature hedge that is that size already or is there any reason why I should buy a smaller size and wait a few years for it to grow to 6 foot. I dont mind paying extra for a mature hedge and ideally i dont want to have to wait for a new hedge to grow that height. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Idioteque

What's the ground like there currently, is it two lawns seperated by a low wall, narrow bed/border etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If money is no object, then there is little difference. I got 1.5m root-balled plants (Prunus lusitanica) from a grower for €40 each, 2m are €60. The same plants would be €80 and €120 from a garden-center.
    Just remember that with taller plants there is more risk of toppling over in high winds while the roots aren't established. My 1.5m plants were ok without support in the recent strong winds, but I would not be so confident with 2m plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cooled

Idioteque wrote: »
    What's the ground like there currently, is it two lawns seperated by a low wall, narrow bed/border etc.?

Theres no lawn, just mine and the neighbours driveway are seperated by a narrow enough bed, i would guess its about 2 foot wide max on my side and 2 foot on neighbours side, and there is a low fence seperating the 2 sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cooled

10-10-20 wrote: »
    If money is no object, then there is little difference. I got 1.5m root-balled plants (Prunus lusitanica) from a grower for €40 each, 2m are €60. The same plants would be €80 and €120 from a garden-center.
    Just remember that with taller plants there is more risk of toppling over in high winds while the roots aren't established. My 1.5m plants were ok without support in the recent strong winds, but I would not be so confident with 2m plants.

Are they best planted in winter? I could live with 1.5m height in the beginning.

Is root ball better than potted plants or bare root? Whenever i looked up the differences between the 3 I just came away more confused than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It's size, mainly. Pots have smaller plants, but can be planted year-round.
    Good breakdown here:
    https://hylandsnursery.ie/portuguese-laurel-hedge/

• Advertisement
Advertisement