Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour wall is too high

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hottea2019

Some gardens have hedging that are 8/9 feet high. Our last house had a 2 storey extension built right up to the boundary wall so our patio area was in shade all day. The previous owners were elderly & didn't object to the planning. Then when we sold the EA said the buyers loved the privacy they got with the 2 storey height wall so everyone is different.
    new neighbours asking for an existing garden wall to be knocked/lowered would be a bit cheeky imo.
    Maybe OP could put up a trellis, plant something that will cover the concrete or build a pergola against the wall. A high wall could be useful rather than a problem.
    Thank you. Trellis or climbing ivy on the wall seem to be a good idea for us to cover the ugly concrete wall. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

A 3m wall wouldnt bother me in the least.
    My parents have 30ft trees on the west. They own the trees so could cut them if they were bothered at all.
    But the garden is 50 - 60ft wide.
    From this time of year (as soon as its warm enough to stay in the garden without freezing your nads off) it sunny until 5pm on the east side of the garden.
    In summer you would wish you had more shade.
    The only time that garden has too much shade is in winter when you arent going to be out in it for long. You dont even go out to cut the grass in winter.

hottea2019 wrote: »
    Thank you for the analysis :). We will see how our first summer in this house goes. The weather is still a bit cold now, which is not the best time for sunbathing. We were just too worried when seeing the wall blocks almost all the sun moves to the west.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I feel like your layout may look similar like ours, except the neighbour shed all across the back. We are not going to sit the whole day in the garden and we just need a small corner to enjoy sunny days. As long as that corner is full of sunlight, we should be ok :)

Yeah I don’t think you’ve much to worry about there- do update us in a few months time as to levels of sunshine - I saw a 2 foot wall the other day cast an 8 foot shadow :D - position of sun relative to your house and height of sun dictates level of sunshine - sun will be higher between about late April and early September so that’s when you’ll know.
    If it were North facing you’d be in shadow most of the day except for end of the garden- south facing is nearly the opposite, end of garden in shadow most of the day but top of garden and one side also in sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

As mentioned already, don't underestimate the difference sun height at this time of the year makes. Our back garden gets very little sun during winter months but during summer has sun nearly all day up to 7PM (Down to surrounding houses and walls).

Do also keep in mind, that a coat of a Pure Brilliant White paint will do you the world of good, if you're looking to brighten things up, and it'll help to bounce around any sunlight that makes it's way into the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

If ye didn’t notice the walls in viewing the property it’s tough luck to ye now.
    If I was the neighbors And ye landed over asking me to take down a boundary wall and ye fresh to a parish, I’d tell ye to fcuk right off.

Parish lol. Yarp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Neighbour's house that backs on to ours has a huge Leylandi hedge. Not a huge deal as it means we lose the sun an hour or so earlier than we'd like.

I work at the same workplace as him so casually asked him if he could take it down a few feet, he politely said it would be a huge amount of work which I agreed. There no offence taken on either part, no harm me asking either.

He's not a yokel who thinks he has more rights because his family have lived in the "parish" for generations. Rural Ireland can be great but there are still some small minded idiots out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Do also keep in mind, that a coat of a Pure Brilliant White paint will do you the world of good, if you're looking to brighten things up, and it'll help to bounce around any sunlight that makes it's way into the garden.

This. We're on a bend so next house is perpendicular to ours. We have a two story house wall as part of our back wall. Painted it magnolia and the difference is unreal, has brightened up our garden no end.

hottea2019 wrote: »
    Thank you for all of your responses. When walking around the area, we noticed that the high-wall-neighbour seems to enjoy privacy: their house is the only one having code secure gate and even their front garden's wall is higher than other's houses. Looks like we would have very small chance to negotiate with them regarding the high wall in their back garden. We will see how the upcoming summer is in our back garden. Hope it will be sunny enough for us to enjoy the heat. :cool:

Could be the local gangsters :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Could be the local gangsters :eek:

Likely. I lived near Crumlin and one of the houses in the local area that had the biggest gates, the most cameras and the fancy cars were owned by the Kinehans. Made it easy for the Gardai to keep tabs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mimon wrote: »
    Neighbour's house that backs on to ours has a huge Leylandi hedge. Not a huge deal as it means we lose the sun an hour or so earlier than we'd like.

I work at the same workplace as him so casually asked him if he could take it down a few feet, he politely said it would be a huge amount of work which I agreed. There no offence taken on either part, no harm me asking either.

He's not a yokel who thinks he has more rights because his family have lived in the "parish" for generations. Rural Ireland can be great but there are still some small minded idiots out there.

I think in these scenarios, offering to help or go part way on costs really helps.
    The other aspect is that unless you are on the shady side, you really cant get a feel for the impact it causes.

D3V!L wrote: »
    Likely. I lived near Crumlin and one of the houses in the local area that had the biggest gates, the most cameras and the fancy cars were owned by the Kinehans. Made it easy for the Gardai to keep tabs :rolleyes:

Yes, seen it quite a few times.
    They do it to stop themselves getting shot by their "mates"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A 3 meter wall would be a blessing rather than a bad thing, good security and privacy

Ah, that cosy prison feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If the wall height remains an issue with sunlight and the neighbours are amenable...could you replace the top 2 rows with some bricks like the attached?

Not sure if it realistic or not.

Advertisement