Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The delusions of Mary McAleese

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Exactly, or going to a vegan restaurant and demanding fillet steak, makes no sense to me either. Do these people want to impose their will on others instead of maybe starting their own break away churches?

Nothing wrong to be on the inside pissing.
    It's up to each individual and I'd say most gay Catholics realise the ban on homo sexual acts is bollix. Most European Catholics ignore the church on sex. It all goes back to a small Jewish tribe who had low numbers with death all around them and needed numbers to be kept high. Having men wasting seed was a no no with death all around them and a life expentancy of 30.
    Unfortunately the idea was carried on by Christians and Muslims.
    I regard myself as Christian and I don't believe God plans each child.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Thank you for bringing it to my attention about her efforts in the 1970s. Though its a shame she didn't speak out more on this issue as president.
    Anyway im no longer going to look at RTE as its news coverage is staid and they have a fascination with ex rte people like mary and celebrities.

She did support LGBT rights during her Presidency. Its a joke that people here are trying to claim in this thread that she never supported LGBT rights during her Presidency or that she only started caring about LGBT rights since her son came out. Both are completely untrue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/mcaleese-urges-action-on-homophobic-bullying-1.830902

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

The veil slipped on her a few years back with her snide holocaust quip about northern protestants, and since then she's doing her utmost to balance things out by taking swipes at the RC church ( some of it justified mind)...to me it's all just PR

Annasopra wrote: »
    She did support LGBT rights during her Presidency. Its a joke that people here are trying to claim in this thread that she never supported LGBT rights during her Presidency or that she only started caring about LGBT rights since her son came out. Both are completely untrue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/mcaleese-urges-action-on-homophobic-bullying-1.830902

So during her presidency she had a go at the church??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

I think you are stretching the metaphor too much. Many openly gay people go to church and nobody says anything. It depends on the priest. Many priests have no issue with gay people in their church. Most heterosexuals gave up following church teaching on sex decades ago.
    There are very few priests ranting about gay sex from the altar.

Fair enough on the metaphor but the point stands. Can't see why they'd have anything to do with an institution that's ideologically opposed to them even if many turn a blind eye.
    Same goes for Mary Mc. If the church is so out of touch why attend or support it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough on the metaphor but the point stands. Can't see why they'd have anything to do with an institution that's ideologically opposed to them even if many turn a blind eye.
    Same goes for Mary Mc. If the church is so out of touch why attend or support it.

The church problem is with gay sex not gay people. It's an important distinction. But technically it has an issue with non procreative sex and non marital sex.
    However it has be said that once sex left marriage in the 1960s the outcomes have not been all positive. Divorce on the rise. Abandoned kids. An obcession with sex to the detriment of many relationships and dating.
    Nobody wants to go back to what existed in the past but what we have now ain't great. Particularly in Ireland where couples can't get houses let alone people recently separated.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

I regard myself as Christian and I don't believe God plans each child.

Then you are not a Christian. God sees all and knows all and therefore plans each child. That God is omnipotent is the basis for religious belief.

Palmach wrote: »
    Then you are not a Christian. God sees all and knows all and therefore plans each child. That God is omnipotent is the basis for religious belief.

And God told you this directly did he? Or she or it?! God might know the outcome but he doesn't have to write the plan. I think there are a hundred different interpretations of God.
    But I suppose you are right im not a Christian if I don't believe God plans each child. Does that allow for free will at all though? Are you not straying into predestination?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

There should be no religious programs on rte

Of any ilk. Then again RTE shouldn't be allowed make soaps either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A self important woman, a pompous insider in love with her own voice who probably wants to personally vet bishops, maybe herself and Mary Robinson, whenever she's finished facilitating kidnapping in the ME, and has got Mayo CoCo to buy a rotten house and papers from her for millions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Bambi wrote: »
    The bould Dara is lying though his teeth, he has a whole routine about aspects of the Catholic mass that Brits would not have a notion about and yet they get the joke

the reason he doesnt do jokes about Muslims is to do with fear of his head being seperated from the rest of his person, same as all the other comedians :D

100%

At this stage, criticising the catholic church is populism, they are down and out. There would have been a lot said for doing it in the 1950's but I doubt many did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

frosty123 wrote: »
    The veil slipped on her a few years back with her snide holocaust quip about northern protestants, and since then she's doing her utmost to balance things out by taking swipes at the RC church ( some of it justified mind)...to me it's all just PR

She wasn't far wrong about the prods though, nationalists were second class citizens for over 50 years and burned out of their homes while the RUC turned a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mules wrote: »
    At this stage, criticising the catholic church is populism, they are down and out. There would have been a lot said for doing it in the 1950's but I doubt many did.

This is it. She wouldnt dare say it about islam

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

The church problem is with gay sex not gay people. It's an important distinction. But technically it has an issue with non procreative sex and non marital sex.
    However it has be said that once sex left marriage in the 1960s the outcomes have not been all positive. Divorce on the rise. Abandoned kids. An obcession with sex to the detriment of many relationships and dating.
    Nobody wants to go back to what existed in the past but what we have now ain't great. Particularly in Ireland where couples can't get houses let alone people recently separated.

I actually agree with some of what you are saying though about how things have changed but not sure the Catholic church is the answer at this stage.

My point is more about the Stockholm syndrome going on between people like Mary McAleese and the church. If they dont' like the teachings they can leave.

Your distinction which I've bolded amounts to the same thing in my eyes. If the Catholic Church thinks I'm going to burn in hell because of who I choose to shag that's enough to put me off being a member. The implication here is that as long as you're a celibate gay that's ok. What a weird criteria to assess people against.

she is probably launching a book soon.

one thing i noticed about the LLS last year....every guest was promoting a book.

Best answer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

Mary positioned herself as a conservative catholic and gained votes on that basis. She's changed her tune since her son came out as gay. If you don't agree with the rules of a club, you're free to leave. It kind of makes your doctorate in canon law wasted effort though!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Mary herself catholic? I am curious

Claonadh1 wrote: »
    Mary positioned herself as a conservative catholic and gained votes on that basis.

McAleese was really quite mixed though.

On the one hand she had very liberal credentials. She was a liberal on gay rights as far back as 1975, who was backed by FF and the PDs (socially liberal). She was linked to liberal institutions; former Trinity Professor, a former RTE presenter and her theme of her campaign was about building bridges with the Unionist community. She championed some socially liberal causes in the 70s, 80s and even 90s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_for_Homosexual_Law_Reform

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0115/672554-mary-mcaleese-investigates-english-abortion-services-1980/

On the other hand she was very strongly associated eith the Catholic Church in the 80s and 90s too.

In 1984, Mrs McAleese was a member of the Catholic Church Episcopal Delegation to the New Ireland Forum.

In 1996, she was a member of the Catholic Church delegation to the North's Commission on Contentious Parades.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/mary-mcaleese-in-too-catholic-row-26229013.html

Dana was overtly a Conservative Catholic vote getter in 1997. Im not so sure McAleese was though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Mary herself catholic? I am curious

Yes

Very Catholic. Im not sure you could study Canon law in Rome if you were any other religion or indeed none

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/how-dr-mcaleese-laid-down-canon-law-to-her-detractors-in-vatican-37368503.html

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Annasopra wrote: »
    McAleese was really quite mixed though.

On the one hand she had very liberal credentials. She was a liberal on gay rights as far back as 1975, who was backed by FF and the PDs (socially liberal). She was linked to liberal institutions; former Trinity Professor, a former RTE presenter and her theme of her campaign was about building bridges with the Unionist community. She championed some socially liberal causes in the 70s, 80s and even 90s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_for_Homosexual_Law_Reform

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0115/672554-mary-mcaleese-investigates-english-abortion-services-1980/

On the other hand she was very strongly associated eith the Catholic Church in the 80s and 90s too.

In 1984, Mrs McAleese was a member of the Catholic Church Episcopal Delegation to the New Ireland Forum.

In 1996, she was a member of the Catholic Church delegation to the North's Commission on Contentious Parades.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/mary-mcaleese-in-too-catholic-row-26229013.html

Dana was overtly a Conservative Catholic in 1997. Im not so sure McAleese was though.

Fair enough. Enough to gain support of FF at that time though. No pride marching back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Is she acting on behalf of all gays or just her son?
    Hadn’t heard much about it until the son came out.

And there we have the crux of the matter.

She was never interested until it suited her own Interests.

And there we have the crux of the matter.

She was never interested until it suited her own Interests.

Except its not true.

Terry Pratchet

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Ex Pres . Mary Mcaleese is certainly laying low these days. I wouldnt blame her .

She spent a whole weekend on RTE Radio in January talking about how great the Mother And Baby Homes report was.

She said the report had tremendous compassion. I spewed most of my tea as I listened to her drivel.

"‘this report is a work of immense scholarship" says wee Mary .

She came across as a condescending legal eagel, speaking down to the masses who she implied would not understand the legalese of it all and that it really was a worthy tome and that its authors had done an exemplary job.

Check out the recording of her talking about it on The Brendan OConnor show on Saturday January 16th 2021.

She gave the report and its authors glowing praise, she could not have spoken more highly about it.

Alls well that ends well, luckily for Mary there wasnt a journalist within an ass's roar of her when she made these claims in January on RTE,
    so she got away without ever being challenged and its unlikely she ever will.
    St Wokery has done a St Patrick on it and banished all the journalists from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Claonadh1 wrote: »
    Mary positioned herself as a conservative catholic and gained votes on that basis. She's changed her tune since her son came out as gay. If you don't agree with the rules of a club, you're free to leave. It kind of makes your doctorate in canon law wasted effort though!

Except, you’re not really free to leave are you? Didn’t a recent pope make it impossible for someone to officially leave? Obviously you can stop practicing, stop financially supporting and stop declaring as a Catholic, but they still get to count you as one when they’re lobbying.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Denny61

Mary is a lovely girl.leave her alone

Except, you’re not really free to leave are you? Didn’t a recent pope make it impossible for someone to officially leave? Obviously you can stop practicing, stop financially supporting and stop declaring as a Catholic, but they still get to count you as one when they’re lobbying.[/QUOTE

Mary can bitch away. Same clown, same act!

Shame to lose the qualification in canon law!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is she acting on behalf of all gays or just her son?
    Hadn’t heard much about it until the son came out.

McAleese was a founder of the Campaign for Homosexual Law Reform in 1975

Justin McAleese wasn't born until 1985.

You hadn't heard much because the media had little reason to report it, not that it didn't exist.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    McAleese was a founder of the Campaign for Homosexual Law Reform in 1975

Justin McAleese wasn't born until 1985.

You hadn't heard much because the media had little reason to report it, not that it didn't exist.

She played the good northern Catholic story when votes were on the line...

Advertisement