Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

They are very heavy, around 7 tonne from memory

Yeah, won't suit my land, need another digger on standby to pull it out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

jaginsligo wrote: »
    It's not a tractor but I think it's good value & most farms could make us of it
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagemachinery-for-sale/jcb-3cx-digger-loader/27782743

Back actor will not slew, probably other faults as well. Those diggers are often over valued. They are often limited to yard work for the winter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

_Brian wrote: »
    Yup
    Grand lads but they won’t entertain the notion of selling the older stock as they aim to keep up the reputation of high end sales only. Stuff that could sell hangs around and just goes for scrap or export.

I’d have to disagree Brian. I’ve dealt with them numerous times. Very little sits in their yard too long. I’ve been in and out the last six months looking at tractors and they move some stock. They try to keep all fresher tractors with a couple of lads that buy the older stock.
    You can’t really blame them as they are a busy garage, the lad coming in to haggle and argue over a 10k tractor takes up in a lot of instances more time than the lads buying 100k one and with at least three times the hassle potential from the older machines . I found them very straight and they have pointed out flaws with various items I’ve been in to purchase when they were second hand. I can’t say the same about a lot of the other main dealers in the north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

amacca wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-2725/27717540?campaign=14

What about this? If I had the time to spruce it up and storage space id be interested

Is this realistic price, have mf 2685 ( model below this ) here ( not as tidy ) and thought 4-5k would be good. Was offered 2k cash , turned it down

Is this realistic price, have mf 2685 ( model below this ) here ( not as tidy ) and thought 4-5k would be good. Was offered 2k cash , turned it down

I be of the same opinion it's a 35 years old tractor. You are probably looking at 5k spend to spruce it up. For vintage it probably a shade too big. Gor work around a farm there are many other options a lot around that age would be bought for around half that price. For that kind of money you are not far off bigger Case's, NH's, JD's and Fiat's in the 20-25 age bracket

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Here is a nice tractor and loader. Not sure what you would pay for it but it should not be crazy money. Not many around and it's a while since I saw one in such good nick. Would 15-16k buy it...

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1998-case-5130-c-w-tanco-loader/27037860

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Here is a nice tractor and loader. Not sure what you would pay for it but it should not be crazy money. Not many around and it's a while since I saw one in such good nick. Would 15-16k buy it...

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1998-case-5130-c-w-tanco-loader/27037860

I think it would be deadly value for €15k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

Maybe not, but everyone has their Achilles heel, I've always liked them!

But the fact that I probably wouldn't put my money where my mouth is speaks volumes id say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

Are they 6 cylinder, Bass? It is a lovely tractor. Being a '98, it would be a late model that would have all the little faults ironed out. At €15k it would be good value.

Are they 6 cylinder, Bass? It is a lovely tractor. Being a '98, it would be a late model that would have all the little faults ironed out. At €15k it would be good value.

Ya they are 6 cylinder 105 hp tractors. I am only guessing at the price as they were under appreciated at the time. Similar to the 42 series they got a name for having expensive to repair really down to the technology being new the use of solnieds and sensors.

Was looking for a 5120/30 a few years back when looking for a tractor but could not come accross one. Bought the CX90 McCormick instead. The 5120 is 4 cylinder but the same chassis. Getting them with a loader with lowish hours would be unusual.

They have become more appreciated and would be a better tractor than a 110/90 or a 390T or 398 IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ya they are 6 cylinder 105 hp tractors. I am only guessing at the price as they were under appreciated at the time. Similar to the 42 series they got a name for having expensive to repair really down to the technology being new the use of solnieds and sensors.

Was looking for a 5120/30 a few years back when looking for a tractor but could not come accross one. Bought the CX90 McCormick instead. The 5120 is 4 cylinder but the same chassis. Getting them with a loader with lowish hours would be unusual.

They have become more appreciated and would be a better tractor than a 110/90 or a 390T or 398 IMO

They are a good machine indeed with an excellent engine, not comparable to the Fiats or MF’s though, the simplicity of those machines is the attraction.

I know which machine I’d rather own when it breaks down

They are a good machine indeed with an excellent engine, not comparable to the Fiats or MF’s though, the simplicity of those machines is the attraction.

I know which machine I’d rather own when it breaks down

She be s way more dependable than any 390/398 that had a shuttle. There electrics are pretty simple and it fairly common knowledge which solnieds you replace fin what fault. They have fault codes as well and it was the failure to look at these was a lot of the issues.
    It would be 50/50 between that and a 110/90 but I consider the 51 series to shade it for value at this stage.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

If them 51 series case give trouble you will need a nice wad to keep them going ,a local contractor bought one new and by god it did break him ,no compasision to a 110/90 really ,In fact any one local who had them case were glad to be rid and these were later models

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

amacca wrote: »
    Maybe not, but everyone has their Achilles heel, I've always liked them!

But the fact that I probably wouldn't put my money where my mouth is speaks volumes id say.....

If you want I'll sell my 2685 for 10k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Not sure if this should be in the machinery thread but seen as it is a classic tractor I said I'd throw it up here. Bought this in January and have done a bit of restoration to it. Painted the bonnet and cab, fitted new mudguards a few other bits. It's not finished yet, the roof was painted recently and needs to be fitted back on. Did a bit of overseeding with it today, managed the job no bother.

549888.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭White Clover

She be s way more dependable than any 390/398 that had a shuttle. There electrics are pretty simple and it fairly common knowledge which solnieds you replace fin what fault. They have fault codes as well and it was the failure to look at these was a lot of the issues.
    It would be 50/50 between that and a 110/90 but I consider the 51 series to shade it for value at this stage.

Not a hope Bass. Them 300 series Massey's are the epitome of simplicity and reliability. Outside of the faulty spring in the range change (the majority of tractors would have the upgraded spring fitted by now), they were proven as being bulletproof.
    A good vice grips would be all you would need to keep one of them going.
    When push comes to shove, a good 398 would trump a 5120/30 all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

endainoz wrote: »
    Not sure if this should be in the machinery thread but seen as it is a classic tractor I said I'd throw it up here. Bought this in January and have done a bit of restoration to it. Painted the bonnet and cab, fitted new mudguards a few other bits. It's not finished yet, the roof was painted recently and needs to be fitted back on. Did a bit of overseeding with it today, managed the job no bother.

Did you source the parts from Bart?
    Have you an original roof for it? That's a nice one - proper rubbers in the windows too - many of them have straps welded across the corners to stop them falling out due to using correct thickness of rubber.

Did you source the parts from Bart?
    Have you an original roof for it? That's a nice one - proper rubbers in the windows too - many of them have straps welded across the corners to stop them falling out due to using correct thickness of rubber.

I bought it with the new mudguards and tail pieces, just had to finish off painting them. The roof is original yeah, needed a bit of tidying up from rust and a small bit of filler was needed to cover marks made by two beacons that used to be on it.

Most of it was original in fairness, bar the mudguards, even though the old ones weren't too bad. I left the windows as they were so that original rubber on them. Didn't want the hassle of having to take them out. I'll have to do a job on the back window alright though, it's quite warped and I have to put new glass and rubber on that one alright.

It's been a mostly fun lockdown project in fairness, and including the mudguards it was got for 3.5k. Theres serious value in these tractors if a right one can be got, the value will definitely go up in the classic market. With that being said I have no intention of selling it, we had one on our farm for years that went for handy money for the export market about 15 years ago. I was always on the lookout for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Not a hope Bass. Them 300 series Massey's are the epitome of simplicity and reliability. Outside of the faulty spring in the range change (the majority of tractors would have the upgraded spring fitted by now), they were proven as being bulletproof.
    A good vice grips would be all you would need to keep one of them going.
    When push comes to shove, a good 398 would trump a 5120/30 all day long.

Have done long days in both 5100s and 399s and I would take the Case any day over the MF. There's hardly room for the Vice Grip in the cab of the 399. Very average rear linkage, very poor first day hitch. One I drove had all the gears on 1 lever and would keep skipping through Medium when shifting down the range. Mech shuttle, dry clutch, absolute hoor of a thing to be loading with for a day. Everytime the brakes were applied the 4wd would slap in and the same when disengaged.

Case was a different beast entirely. Smaller turning radius, Powershift and hydraulic shuttle made it much more user friendly and there was room in the cab to bring the lunch box. The lunch would be cooked by the time would get to it cos the cab was a furnace if didnt have aircon.

Will say the MF was an absolute miser on juice though. Good on poor ground too I thought. Probably a bit lighter than the Case and the higher front wheels would probably give it an advantage too there.
    Thats just my take on it but its horses for courses really and every lad is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

It's not a fair comparison spec wise, better matched to the MF 6100 series from that period. A flawed but lovely series of tractor to drive too. The Case 5140 I drove had a great engine, power and really hung on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Drove a 5140 and a 5150 for a few weeks this last few summers.
    Loved that Cummins engine.
    Always seemed to have more power than they were listed at, and hung in well uphill etc.
    4 speed powershift was very nice, and the older version with the 4 speeds on a separate lever was nicer than the 5150 Pro with them on a flick switch in the main lever.
    Factory pick'up hitch design was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The Crystal must have been the best value tractor from that era. Anybody that bought one at the time got good return for investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The Crystal must have been the best value tractor from that era. Anybody that bought one at the time got good return for investment.

I think I paid £6000 for the first one in 1979, A new 188 was about £2000 dearer. The zetor doesn't hold its value like a massey but when you're starting out with ****all the resale value doesn't matter a hoot

wrangler wrote: »
    I think I paid £6000 for the first one in 1979, A new 188 was about £2000 dearer. The zetor doesn't hold its value like a massey but when you're starting out with ****all the resale value doesn't matter a hoot

A good one would hold it's value now alright, it's mad when you compare all the extras that were standard in the crystal that the 188 didn't have and still it was more expensive. I do really like the Soviet era boxy type design but I guess I'm a bit biased in fairness!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Used to work with a crowd that had a 8045 and behind the the seat there was a knob on top of the housing to do the hydraulics that you have to give a squeeze every so often or else it would come off.i was used to doing it but one day the boss took it and hadnt driven it for a long time and forgot about squeezing it .it came off and the oil shot up to the roof and he got completely covered in oil,the only thing that was white were his two eyes

jaginsligo wrote: »
    I think it would be deadly value for €15k

Rang out of interest after lunch. 17.5k. 16k might buy it. Good value at that if it's anyway straight

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/newholland-l85-c-w-rossmore-loader/27157156

This looks like a good tractor, always liked these Fiats/New Holland TL tractors... any idea what it's worth before I go enquiring?

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/newholland-l85-c-w-rossmore-loader/27157156

This looks like a good tractor, always liked these Fiats/New Holland TL tractors... any idea what it's worth before I go enquiring?

18--23k. Hours are low it looks clean. If it's a 1-2 owner local machine where its history can be verified up towards the 23k and depending on warranty. If it's not as clean as it looks then you can know a bit off it. At present prices hard to see it for much less than 20k. However it is only 85hp

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

wrangler wrote: »

Might have been earlier, 590 would have been out by 1979.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭muddle84

18--23k. Hours are low it looks clean. If it's a 1-2 owner local machine where its history can be verified up towards the 23k and depending on warranty. If it's not as clean as it looks then you can know a bit off it. At present prices hard to see it for much less than 20k. However it is only 85hp

Judging on the cab layout it looks to be closely related to the Fiat's

Advertisement