Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

blue5000 wrote: »
    Might have been earlier, 590 would have been out by 1979.

I took over here in late 1978, and bought the Crystal the following spring. and it was a 188 i was pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Tractordata has the MF 188 from 72 - 76.
    Mf 185 71 - 79.
    Mf 590 77 - 82.
    Mf 575 76 - 82.

We had a 575 here bought from Paddy Leacy imported from the UK and it was a 77 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Tractordata has the MF 188 from 72 - 76.
    Mf 185 71 - 79.
    Mf 590 77 - 82.
    Mf 575 76 - 82.

We had a 575 here bought from Paddy Leacy imported from the UK and it was a 77 reg.

There was a 188 available in 1979 anyway, The 2016 tractor I'm driving at the moment was manufactured in 2014, there was a 1979 188 for sale on t'internet not long ago as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭White Clover

Wrangler is correct. I know of 2 very late models. One has a Lambourn cab and is definately '79. The other has a Duncan cab and I'm fairly sure it's '79 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

18--23k. Hours are low it looks clean. If it's a 1-2 owner local machine where its history can be verified up towards the 23k and depending on warranty. If it's not as clean as it looks then you can know a bit off it. At present prices hard to see it for much less than 20k. However it is only 85hp

That might be only 85hp but I have a TL90 here that is basically that tractor in blue. They are a weapon to pull for their size. I have hauled 17 fusion bales on mine on an 8 mile draw.
    Mine has 4400 and odd genuine hours. I contemplated trading it up but just can't part with it as I don't know any other tractor of that height, footprint and power that I can replace it with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Edit: Mods is this post ok in the spirit of the thread?

Is a David Brown 990 a working tractor any more i.e the 60 hp level? Is anyone bothering with 3 scrape ploughs anymore? Have a Ransome and a Pierce.
    I've a few old tractors to move on in the summer, if prices are right. They seem to be improving? These are all in sheds since the 08 sh1tstorm.
    2 Universal Fours and a 1060. Full restoration required. And then the 990 selectamatic with I think a Victor cab?
    Wouldn't mind giving the Davy a service and a spray but the Nuffields need someone with love, patience and notes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

wrangler wrote: »
    I took over here in late 1978, and bought the Crystal the following spring. and it was a 188 i was pricing

Was the 590 available here in '79 can you remember? I didn't know the ranges overlapped, thought that once the 500 series was launched they would have stopped the 100 series. Maybe the 188 was old stock?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

An Ri rua wrote: »

Is a David Brown 990 a working tractor any more i.e the 60 hp level? Is anyone bothering with 3 scrape ploughs anymore? Have a Ransome and a Pierce.
    I've a few old tractors to move on in the summer, if prices are right. They seem to be improving? These are all in sheds since the 08 sh1tstorm.
    2 Universal Fours and a 1060. Full restoration required. And then the 990 selectamatic with I think a Victor cab?
    Wouldn't mind giving the Davy a service and a spray but the Nuffields need someone with love, patience and notes.

Ok by me, work away by PM.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Grueller wrote: »
    That might be only 85hp but I have a TL90 here that is basically that tractor in blue. They are a weapon to pull for their size. I have hauled 17 fusion bales on mine on an 8 mile draw.
    Mine has 4400 and odd genuine hours. I contemplated trading it up but just can't part with it as I don't know any other tractor of that height, footprint and power that I can replace it with.

New Holland T5070 or case jxu115 would be a nice step up in horsepower with the same size frame afaik. Identical tractor cab wise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

blue5000 wrote: »
    Was the 590 available here in '79 can you remember? I didn't know the ranges overlapped, thought that once the 500 series was launched they would have stopped the 100 series. Maybe the 188 was old stock?

Used to be a 200 series yoke here and I seem to remember being told that it was bought in 80.

I'd say it was the 200 series that replaced the 100. Not the 500. I do think the 500 were a little older. Didn't some of those have the funny cabs with one door and a big window the length of the other side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Used to be a 200 series yoke here and I seem to remember being told that it was bought in 80.

I'd say it was the 200 series that replaced the 100. Not the 500. I do think the 500 were a little older. Didn't some of those have the funny cabs with one door and a big window the length of the other side?

The 500 series replaced the 100 series, but the 200 series was made alongside the 500 for export to third world countries. A lot got sold in Ire/ eng because they were a good bit cheaper than the 500

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Grueller wrote: »

Its a fiat 85/90 I think when they changed to the NH blue colour they called them a different NH name. Fiat engines became Iveco. Would be the same engine as a TL 90 and chassis but I say a different turbo and slightly different back end.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-jx-80-no-electrics/27164239

Here is a Case JX80 same as an 80/90 fiat according to he add but more likly similar to a 72/94. No loader and tyres not as good. Newer tractor but higher hours 12750 sterling +vat at about 17K euro. There is a lot of these Fiats rebadged under Case and NH mainly NH most would be tractors with little electrics. They were made in different factoriy but most had that Fiat/Iveco engine in the just turbo'ed up or down for the HP required. I thing there are lads that specalise in reconfiguring the turbo's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

My father bought a 595 here they were some heap of scrap twas handed back the very next day as it wouldn't back up silage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭DBK1

wrangler wrote: »
    There was a 188 available in 1979 anyway, The 2016 tractor I'm driving at the moment was manufactured in 2014, there was a 1979 188 for sale on t'internet not long ago as well.
    Yep we also had a 188 that was bought brand new in 1979. Gave nothing but trouble and was eventually traded in 1982 for a new Fiat 780. The best move that was ever made, no comparison between the two.

The fiat is still here to this day and still earns her keep. Doing around 300 hours a year mainly on a wrapper. The engine was reconditioned about 12 years ago when there was over 30,000 hours on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭DBK1

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/newholland-l85-c-w-rossmore-loader/27157156

This looks like a good tractor, always liked these Fiats/New Holland TL tractors... any idea what it's worth before I go enquiring?
    Yep they are a Fiat dressed up a bit and an absolutely superb stock and machine in my opinion. I have a TL90 and as Grueller said above I’ve yet to see any other tractor of their size with the capabilities they have.

I wrote a bit about them in post 572 in the linked thread (if it has copied in properly).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116470648

An Ri rua wrote: »

Any tractor can be considered a working tractor depending on it use. Lads use old tractors to draw turf from bog. Real test is if it will lift a bale of silage. This is often the hardest work some lads use them for, to bring in silage and feed it out during the winter. The DB 990 will just about do that. The Nuffield1060 would nearly donut as well.

The other universal are lower HP but everything has a price. Worst comes to the worst heavy scrap is 200/ ton or more. The scrape plough or any small old farm machinery are always ppopular to be painted up and used as garden ornaments.

I be putting them up from now on lads might have bought them as lock down projects. Realistic pricing is the key to selling stuff. powerhose down old ploughs give them a good going over with a wire brush and paint them up. Lots of lads paint the ploughshares and knives red and rest grey or blue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Robson99 wrote: »

Placement of accelerator and lift looks exact same as fiat

It's not dear at that. Only problem would be possible cash sale so hard to write off against tax

It's not dear at that. Only problem would be possible cash sale so hard to write off against tax

I would not call it cheap. I presume no vat. More info gan like buyer will buy using a bank draft or a cash transfer. Either is traceable especially as a tractor reg allows it to be traced.

If you want to put a loader on that add at least 5k+ for anything decent second hand. If you got new 7-9 depending on what make you go for. As well you are not buying from a trader so you have absolutely no comeback. I would not consider it cheap as such

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I would not call it cheap. I presume no vat. More info gan like buyer will buy using a bank draft or a cash transfer. Either is traceable especially as a tractor reg allows it to be traced.

If you want to put a loader on that add at least 5k+ for anything decent second hand. If you got new 7-9 depending on what make you go for. As well you are not buying from a trader so you have absolutely no comeback. I would not consider it cheap as such

This was at the bottom of the same page. https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-4455/27707177?

Not a whole lot more expensive even with the VAT and appears to be from a professional seller (so maybe some comeback) and has a loader. The NH/Fiat yoke would seem expensive in comparison.

They are making 25k for that type tractor with a loader in and dealers Bass. 20k for a clean 85hp tractor with low hours is as good as you are going to get. And no clutch problems if you want a tractor without a loader.
    Plenty of yolks with loader and 7000 + hours making 25k and getting dearer by the day

This was at the bottom of the same page. https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-4455/27707177?

Not a whole lot more expensive even with the VAT and appears to be from a professional seller (so maybe some comeback) and has a loader. The NH/Fiat yoke would seem expensive in comparison.

Adding vat and exchange rate would being that tractor to 26k if there is vat to go on it. The NH would be a bit over 20 without a loader. The big saving would be in the hassle of trying to source a loader, brackets, joystick and hosing.

You would not long see a 700-1000 go in hosing and fittings to attach a second loader if you did not want a botch job

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Glarryford usually has a good stock of Massey's listed.
    Does that loader have softdrive?

Adding vat and exchange rate would being that tractor to 26k if there is vat to go on it. The NH would be a bit over 20 without a loader. The big saving would be in the hassle of trying to source a loader, brackets, joystick and hosing.

You would not long see a 700-1000 go in hosing and fittings to attach a second loader if you did not want a botch job

Unless that Massey range had some modern expensive to maintain issues and the Fiat was just basic mechanical and I was looking for that, I would choose the Massey at 26 over the Fiat at 20 even if it didn't have the loader.

Unless that Massey range had some modern expensive to maintain issues and the Fiat was just basic mechanical and I was looking for that, I would choose the Massey at 26 over the Fiat at 20 even if it didn't have the loader.

I be inclined to agree. Buying from a trader even s distance away is worth 2-3 k. A loader well fitted is worth 5k+.

That Massey is 100 hp as well add another 2-3k

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Glarryford usually has a good stock of Massey's listed.
    Does that loader have softdrive?

Rang him last week to go and see that yoke, said it was gone. Would have thought it reasonable money if she was straight. Went to look at a 5445 and it had quite a bit of blowby when I pulled the dipstick and only had 3000 hours on it. He was looking £19 stg for it, but I didn't bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Those Perkins engines are known heavy breathers. Loads of them out there puffing like mad with big hours burning no oil. It is off putting when buying second hand to know how much is too much

Rang him last week to go and see that yoke, said it was gone. Would have thought it reasonable money if she was straight. Went to look at a 5445 and it had quite a bit of blowby when I pulled the dipstick and only had 3000 hours on it. He was looking £19 stg for it, but I didn't bite.

Check the turbo.....it can back up into sump,if not wastegating properly or if faulty via the oil feed.and cause this

• Advertisement

They are making 25k for that type tractor with a loader in and dealers Bass. 20k for a clean 85hp tractor with low hours is as good as you are going to get. And no clutch problems if you want a tractor without a loader.
    Plenty of yolks with loader and 7000 + hours making 25k and getting dearer by the day

The problem is if you need a loader and purchase a tractor without one you are looking at 5-6k to put one on. A clutch is not the end of the world a good tractor mechanic will replace a clutch on most of them 70-100 hp tractors for 800-1500 euro not that you want to be doing it. Often fiddley faddley stuff can run into 500 euro

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement