Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Worked on a place that had a 188 Multi-Power.
    Was an absolute flyer on the road.

Mine was multi powwer too, it drew a lot of corn too with a ten tonne trailer.
    There is no hill hold in low so you go up a hill in low and if you forget to flick it into high on the way down you'd get all the speed you wanted.
    I hated MP, a dangerous yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

divillybit wrote: »
    Incidentally, I was behind a modified 165 on the road lately, she was tipping down the road at 40km/hr no bother... twas gas to see it flying along. Never seen one going as fast

Probably removed the planetary gears from the rear axle, it would make it go fast but it wouldn't pull your socks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

wrangler wrote: »
    Mine was multi powwer too, it drew a lot of corn too with a ten tonne trailer.
    There is no hill hold in low so you go up a hill in low and if you forget to flick it into high on the way down you'd get all the speed you wanted.
    I hated MP, a dangerous yoke.

That MP was a danger, i nearly got killed on a 590 (i think it was 590) with a silage wagon, nobody told me that MP was like neutral going down a hill, picked up serious speed and nearly went down a glen.....close call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

The sensation of speed you get off those things is unreal. 188 multi power with a roll bar I thought this must be what doing the Isle of Man TT felt like. In a more modern tractor you'd be looking for another gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Gillespy wrote: »
    The sensation of speed you get off those things is unreal. 188 multi power with a roll bar I thought this must be what doing the Isle of Man TT felt like. In a more modern tractor you'd be looking for another gear.

I nearly got killed off a 178 multi power I was about 12 collecting bales I was the driver grand n slow everyone forgot about the hill as my father was baling at the time I'll tell you twas the best education about driving I ever got I've never forgot it as we were farming on the banks of the snn estuary she landed on top of the last ditch after that twas 60 ft fall to the shore line I'd have been killed for sure and certain

• Advertisement

https://touch.adverts.ie/tractors/1996-valmet-665/23412408

Disappointed to see no interior pics....looks reasonable value in todays market

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

This would actually tempt me, were I in the market for a classic 4 wheel drive.
    As long as it had brakes, and no signs of a cooked engine, it'd do all anyone'd need on astock farm.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/deutzs-dx-90/27519576?campaign=14

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

The 130/90 sold quick enough!

I've no experience of with Multipower MF tractors but twas quite the eye opener to read of posters close call experiences with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/final-price-drop-fiat-100-90-and-tanco-loader/27697467

Some front loaders like this dont look neat at all on a tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

divillybit wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/final-price-drop-fiat-100-90-and-tanco-loader/27697467

Some front loaders like this dont look neat at all on a tractor

Who cares about the loaders.

It has new stickers!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

amacca wrote: »

Problem with tractors like that while they are kinda bomb proof they have limitations. Ya they will do slurry or haul grain and silage trailers but they have no shuttle. They would he pigs for any yard work. Every time you have to move from a forward to a reverse speed you will need to move at least two leavers.
    Ya maybe for on a dump trailer or a doing any heavy hauling they be grand. Not sure if they have towibg ratings stamped on them but f not you are limited to there weight ratio's for hauling. Bit a huge issue at present but in 5-10 years time we do no know what way the law will be enforced. As well top speed was 20 mph or about 32km/ hours

The last thing you would need is a good seat on them. I say the seat was very basic replace that and it is more useable. However for 20-25 k there is other options out there that might be more effective than them. If you wanted it for the odd road run as well you could manage away wit it if you had another tractor

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Problem with tractors like that while they are kinda bomb proof they have limitations. Ya they will do slurry or haul grain and silage trailers but they have no shuttle. They would he pigs for any yard work. Every time you have to move from a forward to a reverse speed you will need to move at least two leavers.
    Ya maybe for on a dump trailer or a doing any heavy hauling they be grand. Not sure if they have towibg ratings stamped on them but f not you are limited to there weight ratio's for hauling. Bit a huge issue at present but in 5-10 years time we do no know what way the law will be enforced. As well top speed was 20 mph or about 32km/ hours

The last thing you would need is a good seat on them. I say the seat was very basic replace that and it is more useable. However for 20-25 k there is other options out there that might be more effective than them. If you wanted it for the odd road run as well you could manage away wit it if you had another tractor

I think most buyers wouldn't be buying a county as a yard tractor at this stage. Doubt that thing will do too much heavy lifting for the rest of it's days, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lurching wrote: »
    I think most buyers wouldn't be buying a county as a yard tractor at this stage. Doubt that thing will do too much heavy lifting for the rest of it's days, surely.

Vintage rallys I'd say would be the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

amacca wrote: »

It's like a 3600 on steroids.

Probably be a nice tractor for the tractor runs and vintage shows. It's a bit different to a lot of what you'd see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lurching wrote: »

No it would not be a yard tractor per say. However because of its top speed it's not really a roD tractor either. If you had it on a dumper grain trailer or drawing silage bales you will be going in and out of reverse a bit. Sound that with there gear ratio's and the fact it's a floor change would mean it struggles that way as well

Slava Ukrainii

No it would not be a yard tractor per say. However because of its top speed it's not really a roD tractor either. If you had it on a dumper grain trailer or drawing silage bales you will be going in and out of reverse a bit. Sound that with there gear ratio's and the fact it's a floor change would mean it struggles that way as well

Not to mention the price, you could buy 2 cattle trailers and a post driver for that kind of money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I feel there's too much made of 30 vs 40k road speed. Few of each here and when we're drawing bales or at slurry on a 4 or 5 mile round trip we always end up doing the same number of loads with little to no delays. If you never stopped to eat every so often the fast tractor would lap the slow one or be waiting to load/unload but you reset there and work away fine again.

I think the fact a tractor is 30k actually stands to it when buying a fifteen year plus old one. It has to wear and tear wise especially compared to 50k. The extra few mph is nice on longer journeys no doubt but it's silly to disregard 30k tractors. They all don't need to be fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

lab man wrote: »
    I nearly got killed off a 178 multi power I was about 12 collecting bales I was the driver grand n slow everyone forgot about the hill as my father was baling at the time I'll tell you twas the best education about driving I ever got I've never forgot it as we were farming on the banks of the snn estuary she landed on top of the last ditch after that twas 60 ft fall to the shore line I'd have been killed for sure and certain

Did a share of small square bales with a 188 MP longer ago than I'd like to remember. Real busy one day so as I went for the dinner the boss man took over for a half hour. Told him work away in 1H Hi multi. Well obviously he thought it was a bit fast so he dropped it to Lo. All was grand till he turned the point of the hill. Frightened the life out of him when she took off like the clappers. He was a Ford man so was used of the Dual Power system on those.
    Was a weapon on the road but only had a frame of a cab and front windscreen so no need for aircon.
    He flogged it on soon after. Death trap he reckoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A "Backhoe Loader" in a local dealership, that I'll not be buying!
    J1gHyf2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

J1gHyf2.jpg

Why is the loader so far forward? Doesnt look right...

And what's the white pipe and the bottle on the loader about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

Why is the loader so far forward? Doesnt look right...

And what's the white pipe and the bottle on the loader about?

Agree on the first and the bottle looks like it's a "hydraulic fluid pressure release valve manual resevoir system" for the loader ram :D

The tractor looks tidy though in fairness

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Did a share of small square bales with a 188 MP longer ago than I'd like to remember. Real busy one day so as I went for the dinner the boss man took over for a half hour. Told him work away in 1H Hi multi. Well obviously he thought it was a bit fast so he dropped it to Lo. All was grand till he turned the point of the hill. Frightened the life out of him when she took off like the clappers. He was a Ford man so was used of the Dual Power system on those.
    Was a weapon on the road but only had a frame of a cab and front windscreen so no need for aircon.
    He flogged it on soon after. Death trap he reckoned.
    My father spread thousands of tonnes of lime with a fordson major a mf 178 and an industrial mf 3165
    The new mf tractors now aren't a patch on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

That County 6 would need about an acre to turn around on, I used one with a roller and you would have to reverse into the corners of the field to roll them. Low multi power and a rotovator were another recipe for lots of speed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What is a shuttle? Never come across one of these before I don't think?

Pussyhands wrote: »

Forward/reverse lever, gives the same amount of gears forwards and backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Pussyhands wrote: »
    As emaherx said it's a forward/reverse lever. Older tractors had forward gears 1,2,3 some had 4 and they all had one reverse gear similar to a car. The shuttle gear allows you to choose 1,2,3 or 4th gear in either forward or reverse. The earlier ones required you to use the clutch to shuttle between forward and reverse like our '86 Renault 781 but it's not necessary with more modern tractors as they have a simple leaver to switch between both. I've heard of horror stories of lads hitting the leaver from forward to reverse with a heavy load behind the tractor and doing serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

emaherx wrote: »
    Forward/reverse lever, gives the same amount of gears forwards and backwards.

The county does have shuttle, 2nd high and reverse...

Base price wrote: »
    As emaherx said it's a forward/reverse lever. Older tractors had forward gears 1,2,3 some had 4 and they all had one reverse gear similar to a car. The shuttle gear allows you to choose 1,2,3 or 4th gear in either forward or reverse. The earlier ones required you to use the clutch to shuttle between forward and reverse like our '86 Renault 781 but it's not necessary with more modern tractors as they have a simple leaver to switch between both. I've heard of horror stories of lads hitting the leaver from forward to reverse with a heavy load behind the tractor and doing serious damage.

Ya heard of same happening forward to reverse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Is that a Massey 50B in the background? Who is the dealer? Thanks.

Advertisement